Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Society / Law / Current Events / Politics > Calgary Alberta Floods 2013 - Re-entries slowly starting

Author
Thread
Super_Geo
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.17
Trader Rating: (12)
User Rating: 98%

MANDATORY CALGARY EVACUATION: Mission, Elbow Park, Stanley Park, Roxboro, Rideau quote:

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/city-issu...ities-1.1334012

The City of Calgary has declared a local state of emergency, due to the high river flows and heavy rain, and is asking residents in six neighbourhoods to evacuate.
Residents in Mission, Elbow Park, Stanley Park, Roxboro, Rideau and Discovery Ridge are being told to evacuate immediately.
People should find shelter with friends or relatives for the next 72 hours.

For those who have no where to go, reception areas have been set up at the Southland Leisure Centre at 2000 Southland Dr. S.W. and the Acadia Recreation Complex at 240 90 Ave. S.E.
People should ensure that they take identification, prescription medications and other critical personal items with them.
Crews are going door-to-door notifying residents and access to those communities will be prohibited after 3:00 p.m.
Anyone with pets should also take them with them and if that is not an option, pets can be taken to the Animal Service Centre at 2201 Portland St.S.E.
The city is deploying sandbags and temporary dams at key locations to protect property and infrastructure.
Officials say that the water will likely come over the top of the Glenmore Dam and flooding will occur overnight.
“The current data we have indicates that we will see a significant amount of water start to show up late tonight and through the nighttime hours into early tomorrow morning. At that time we do expect that we will have increased flooding that will be in the magnitude of the 2005 floods or greater,” said Burrell.
The state of emergency was called just hours after the city activated their Municipal Emergency Plan earlier on Thursday.
Citizens are reminded to:
Stay away from rivers and creeks as the water is rising and moving quickly, and banks may be unstable.
Avoid storm water ponds and storm drains, and do not let children play near them.
Do not drive through flooded areas such as underpasses.
If you experience basement seepage or overland flooding, call 3-1-1 to report.
If you or someone else is in imminent danger, call 9-1-1. Remember that 9-1-1 is for emergencies only; please use 3-1-1 for reporting non-emergency issues.
Monitor local media and City of Calgary messages.
“We are asking Calgarians to avoid rivers and creeks. Move your valuables to a higher level, if you have things of value in your basement and you’re prone to flooding,” said Burrell.
The Calgary Emergency Management Agency (CEMA) and its partners continue to assess the situation and will update as needed.
There are a few detours and road closures in place and the city expects those to expand as the situation progresses.
Officials have closed Elbow Dr S.W. at 4th and 5th St. due to the rising water levels in the river.
Water services says that drinking water in the city is still safe to drink and the quality is good.
The mayor was in Toronto on Thursday and is now on his way home to help deal with the situation.
The city last activated the Municipal Emergency Plan in July 2012, when an explosion and fire at a downtown building shut down a number of services.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-20-2013 10:21 PM
Super_Geo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Super_Geo Click here to Send Super_Geo a Private Message Find more posts by Super_Geo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

whiskas
First Gear

What I drive: barbies convertible
Posts/Day: 0.25
Trader Rating: (7)
User Rating: 96%

quote:

Does this mean the elbow is closed for rafting?

Old Post 06-20-2013 10:26 PM
whiskas is offline Click Here to See the Profile for whiskas Click here to Send whiskas a Private Message Find more posts by whiskas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dirtsniffer
Second Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.69
Trader Rating: (14)
User Rating: 92%

quote:

life jacket might be a good idea.

Hope everyone is safe out there

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
This thread is great, finally we are mixing the regular hate and intolerance with some actual car talk.

Old Post 06-20-2013 10:28 PM
dirtsniffer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dirtsniffer Click here to Send dirtsniffer a Private Message Find more posts by dirtsniffer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zhariak
First Gear

What I drive: 13 Escalade ESV Platinum, 13 CTS-V Coupe
Posts/Day: 0.23
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

I heard they mentioned the water might go over the Glenmore dam.

That's freaky!

Old Post 06-20-2013 10:29 PM
Zhariak is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Zhariak Click here to Send Zhariak a Private Message Find more posts by Zhariak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
superflychief
Neutral

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.05

quote:

Why bother with full community evacuations, when it's only the houses along the water that are the ones in real danger. Do the people who live 2 blocks away from the river really need to go anywhere?

Old Post 06-20-2013 10:30 PM
superflychief is offline Click Here to See the Profile for superflychief Click here to Send superflychief a Private Message Find more posts by superflychief Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tej.S

What I drive: 04' MDX
Posts/Day: 0.09
Trader Rating: (2)

quote:

Does anyone know if the last time the city faced a situation such as this? I don't think I ever remember the rain being this bad.

Old Post 06-20-2013 10:30 PM
Tej.S is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tej.S Click here to Send Tej.S a Private Message Find more posts by Tej.S Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NuclearPizzaMan

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.00

quote:

Originally posted by whiskas

Is your raft submersible?

Old Post 06-20-2013 10:31 PM
NuclearPizzaMan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for NuclearPizzaMan Click here to Send NuclearPizzaMan a Private Message Find more posts by NuclearPizzaMan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GS430
Neutral

What I drive: R6///R50
Posts/Day: 0.21
User Rating: 93%

quote:

Originally posted by whiskas

Sorry what?!

Old Post 06-20-2013 10:32 PM
GS430 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GS430 Click here to Send GS430 a Private Message Find more posts by GS430 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JRSC00LUDE
Second Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.23
Trader Rating: (8)
User Rating: 112%

quote:

Originally posted by superflychief
Why bother with full community evacuations, when it's only the houses along the water that are the ones in real danger. Do the people who live 2 blocks away from the river really need to go anywhere?

I imagine if if eroded enough to drop a house down the bank/into the river that you'd then be in danger of fires or gas explosions etc.

Originally posted by SJW
Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.

Originally posted by snowcat
Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.

Old Post 06-20-2013 10:34 PM
JRSC00LUDE is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JRSC00LUDE Click here to Send JRSC00LUDE a Private Message Find more posts by JRSC00LUDE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lilmira
Second Gear

What I drive: The SHBARUS
Posts/Day: 0.49

quote:

Looters? Water/sewer system going bye bye?

Old Post 06-20-2013 10:34 PM
lilmira is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lilmira Click here to Send lilmira a Private Message Find more posts by lilmira Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EK69
Neutral

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.30

quote:

Originally posted by Tej.S
Does anyone know if the last time the city faced a situation such as this? I don't think I ever remember the rain being this bad.

Some years ago there were many areas of the city flooded
I remember many streets being full of water like martindale saddleridge etc

Old Post 06-20-2013 10:42 PM
EK69 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EK69 Click here to Send EK69 a Private Message Find more posts by EK69 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ercchry
Fourth Gear

What I drive: 79cx500 01UCF31
Posts/Day: 1.63
Trader Rating: (6)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

05 was the last big one... they are saying the water level in the bow is twice what it was then

... the 05 one was probably the worse one for most of our life times

Old Post 06-20-2013 10:46 PM
ercchry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ercchry Click here to Send ercchry a Private Message Visit ercchry's homepage! Find more posts by ercchry Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
89s1
Second Gear

What I drive: Hondas
Posts/Day: 0.53
Trader Rating: (29)

quote:

Maybe I'm bad luck

I lived in Winnipeg for their flood of the century back in '97, moved here in '05 and now this...

Old Post 06-20-2013 10:50 PM
89s1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 89s1 Click here to Send 89s1 a Private Message Find more posts by 89s1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
A790

What I drive: '14 Cherokee Trailhawk, '14 IS 350 AWD
Posts/Day: 1.48
Trader Rating: (66)
User Rating: 103%

quote:

Room available if you've been evacuated and need a place to crash for the weekend: http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread....postid=4140572.

Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
As a puny human, you have traveled in parts of China.
I as an intellectual human being have utilized a gods view of China. See the difference?

Vroom.

Old Post 06-20-2013 10:52 PM
A790 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for A790 Click here to Send A790 a Private Message Find more posts by A790 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Feruk

What I drive: G6
Posts/Day: 0.01

quote:

If they open the dam, it could very quickly get a lot worse.

Old Post 06-20-2013 11:07 PM
Feruk is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Feruk Click here to Send Feruk a Private Message Find more posts by Feruk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AudiPWR
Neutral

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.11

quote:

God damnit. I'm in Ft Mcmurray and my Condo is RIGHT on the river with 2 vehicles in it. I was able to get one car out but my important car is stuck there in the parkade. I think I am fucked..

Old Post 06-20-2013 11:10 PM
AudiPWR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AudiPWR Click here to Send AudiPWR a Private Message Find more posts by AudiPWR Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
vengie
First Gear

What I drive: Runs on recycled dinosaurs.
Posts/Day: 0.30
Trader Rating: (10)
User Rating: 93%

quote:

Originally posted by AudiPWR
God damnit. I'm in Ft Mcmurray and my Condo is RIGHT on the river with 2 vehicles in it. I was able to get one car out but my important car is stuck there in the parkade. I think I am fucked..

I was afraid the 135 was the one stuck there

Originally posted by max_boost
Continuous improvement my friend. Get the degree, get a job, acquire experience, acquire knowledge, acquire currency, acquire bitches, keep moving forward.

Old Post 06-20-2013 11:14 PM
vengie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for vengie Click here to Send vengie a Private Message Find more posts by vengie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rage2

What I drive: C63 Black Series, CLS Winter Beater
Posts/Day: 1.01
Trader Rating: (24)

quote:

How much water is needed to take out the peace bridge?

Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Old Post 06-20-2013 11:16 PM
rage2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rage2 Click here to Send rage2 a Private Message Visit rage2's homepage! Find more posts by rage2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
you&me
Neutral

What I drive: A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)
Posts/Day: 0.14

quote:

Originally posted by AudiPWR

As was advised in the other thread you mentioned this in, call up City Wide and get them to get a parkade tow unit in there asap...

Old Post 06-20-2013 11:16 PM
you&me is offline Click Here to See the Profile for you&me Click here to Send you&me a Private Message Find more posts by you&me Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bourge73
First Gear

What I drive: 13 CRV,SN-95,Volvo 850, 2003 Expedition EB
Posts/Day: 0.35
Trader Rating: (34)
User Rating: 95%

quote:

Hmm maybe a nice beyonder could go to your condo drink your beer and take your car out for ya I was in WPG for that Flood in 97 I took a boat to work everyday lol

A Ferrari is a high maintenance chick, you spend money regardless of what you do with her. You can baby the C63, or slap on all seasons, and you won't be spending anything but yearly maintenance. Of course that's like dating a stripper and refusing to fuck her, which would make you gay.

Originally posted by Rage2

Old Post 06-20-2013 11:18 PM
bourge73 is online now Click Here to See the Profile for bourge73 Click here to Send bourge73 a Private Message Find more posts by bourge73 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 12:56 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: