Quantcast
Calgary Public Transit Discussion Thread - Page 51 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 51 of 55 FirstFirst ... 41 50 51 52 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 1084

Thread: Calgary Public Transit Discussion Thread

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by kertejud2
    Why wouldn't those areas be contributing via the residential property tax anymore?
    Only had 10 mins to put that together. So ya 8.89% is the "expanded" CBD contribution. Still a small drop in the park compared to suburb contributions.

But there's also the issue of where the extra $630M+ came from in revenue between 2012 and 2013. But a lot of that could be because your 2012 spreadsheet is missing over $400M in revenue from property and business tax (Page 25)

The City of Calgary 2012 Annual Report

Your spreadsheet is flawed and has been for a long time.
    The data came straight from the city before they decided to stop releasing the figures. Why has it changed since then? Because the city continues to restate numbers after the fact. Why? No clue.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Originally posted by rage2

The data came straight from the city before they decided to stop releasing the figures. Why has it changed since then? Because the city continues to restate numbers after the fact. Why? No clue.
    But it doesn't come straight from the city. You're using census data for dwellings and treating it like it equates to assessed properties. Which is why you have more homes listed in your spreadsheet for 2012 than the city claims to have total assessment accounts for in 2013.

The Herald is also using median numbers for 'single residential property assessments' so it doesn't take into account the non-residential side at all.

The city's report from 2012 claims $1.5B in property tax and business tax, your spreadsheet doesn't and it isn't surprising why. It is flawed so stop using it to continue the myth that the inner city has the bulk of the tax contribution base in the city.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

It is flawed so stop using it to continue the myth that the inner city has the bulk of the tax contribution base in the city.
    Oh good, we're on the same page.

I'll agree the city doesn't publish the data directly, but there are no options other than to pull this data to figure out the revenue distribution by community. At the end of the day, I have *some* data to point to the fact that inner city (including CBD) does not contribute the bulk of the tax revenue. Suburbs do. You just keep claiming that inner city, CBD contributes a majority of tax revenue with zero data backing it up.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Flat tax structures result in high value assets paying the majority of tax revenue?

Has anyone given the Nobel Prize in economics to kertejud2 yet, as he's overturned about 3000 years of tax theory?

Somebody better tell the Republicans about this, they've been wanting proof for decades now.

Originally posted by rage2
    I'll agree the city doesn't publish the data directly, but there are no options other than to pull this data to figure out the revenue distribution by community. At the end of the day, I have *some* data to point to the fact that inner city (including CBD) does not contribute the bulk of the tax revenue. Suburbs do. You just keep claiming that inner city, CBD contributes a majority of tax revenue with zero data backing it up.
    Your data is both wrong and incomplete. It's literally missing over half the the tax collected, used dwellings rather than property accounts, and was presented with the belief that business tax and non-res property tax were the same thing.

Your data shows that when you ignore the most valuable buildings in the city, where ~16,000 accounts provide more return than ~450,000 accounts your assertion that "there are a lot more people than businesses and numbers don't lie" means that the numbers absolutely do lie when you don't know what they mean. Which is that you have a rough, but still incorrect idea of where less than half of property tax revenue in the city comes from.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Calgary Transit cracks me up. Half the people at work got fucked today. I can see the trains not moving from my office.

7th Ave trains lost power for whatever reason for an hour. CT promises shuttle busses are in the works:

I notice the trains start moving. Co-workers texting they're on their way. 2 mins later...

The shuttles have started after problem fixed.

Still no updates that shit is fixed...

Quote Originally Posted by kertejud2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Your data is both wrong and incomplete. It's literally missing over half the the tax collected, used dwellings rather than property accounts, and was presented with the belief that business tax and non-res property tax were the same thing.

Your data shows that when you ignore the most valuable buildings in the city, where ~16,000 accounts provide more return than ~450,000 accounts your assertion that "there are a lot more people than businesses and numbers don't lie" means that the numbers absolutely do lie when you don't know what they mean. Which is that you have a rough, but still incorrect idea of where less than half of property tax revenue in the city comes from.
    Holy shit you still don't understand regressive taxation. Good job you fucking idiot.

I saw massive groups of people at the bus stops and train stations while I was driving in this morning, that explains it.

The drive wasn't any better. Fucking idiots stopping 100 feet behind the car ahead of them, and not going when the light turns green.

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    The drive wasn't any better. Fucking idiots stopping 100 feet behind the car ahead of them, and not going when the light turns green.
    It did take me a full extra half hour to drive in this morning...couldn't really figure out why but it was a complete disaster.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

this always makes me laugh when calgary is looking to expand (cough green line, cough). Cant even make their current system run smoothly for more then a month at a time. Would love to know the lost-time value when this happens. Has to be in the millions

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

http://calgaryherald.com/news/traffi...ty-report-says
    According to the city’s 2017 cordon count, in which transportation officials collect data from Calgarians heading into the core from 13 different locations, only 40.6 per cent of commuters took transit. At the same time, 46.2 per cent arrived in vehicles — 12.7 per cent carpooling and 33.5 per cent driving solo.
    And while city councillors representing the core and suburban areas blamed the economic downturn for low transit use into the core, they did admit that the city’s overall transit experience could use some improvements.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

would love to know the percentage of city Councillors who take transit.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Grimace

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Calgary Transit cracks me up. Half the people at work got fucked today. I can see the trains not moving from my office.

7th Ave trains lost power for whatever reason for an hour. CT promises shuttle busses are in the works:

I notice the trains start moving. Co-workers texting they're on their way. 2 mins later...
    The shuttles have started after problem fixed.

Still no updates that shit is fixed...
    You missed the tweets where they were talking about 'powder' outages though

So the C-Train operators didn't get their morning cocaine?

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    would love to know the percentage of city Councillors who take transit.
    Can confirm D'uh Farrell has taken transit once or twice.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

The trains are all still fucked up. Still driving backwards on 7th Ave. No clue why it's still not fixed right.

Quote Originally Posted by schocker View Post
    You missed the tweets where they were talking about 'powder' outages though
    Haha I saw that too and thought man someone is about to be razzed for the rest of their work day

I took the train one stop, turned around, went home and drove in, even with the crazy traffic I was passing trains

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

I was in the car the fucked up. The contact arm on top of the car let loose either by one of the arm supports breaking or the electrical cable breaking. There was a couple of super loud bangs on the roof of the car then a shower of sparks down either side. The power turned off and it coasted into the station. When we got out you could see the front and back car's contact arm still upright but the middle car's contact arm was laying flat on the roof. Thankfully it happened at the first stop downtown so I just had to walk across the core, it would have sucked if I was at Earlton and had to walk in again. I've done that too many times for my liking
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

Page 51 of 55 FirstFirst ... 41 50 51 52 ... LastLast