Quantcast
CarCostCanada worth it? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: CarCostCanada worth it?

My Ride
    '08 AW E92 335i

Default CarCostCanada worth it?

The GF is looking into buying a 2014 Corolla S. Neither of us have bought a brand new car off the lot before so we are new to negotiating on the price of a new car.

I was looking into the car cost Canada website and wondering if its worth the $40. Has anyone used it? The price you get back from them is wholesale price so how much do you offer on top of that?

Just looking for feedback on the site and on buying brand new in general. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

My Ride
    Cars, trucks, bikes

Unfortunately, we have a lot of experience buying new cars and using CCC. Ultimately, it depends on the vehicle in question. If it's a entry level/less expensive model with limited options, the markup on these vehicles tend to be quite minimal, in which case CCC will likely not save you thousands of dollars. The same may apply to vehicles that are in high demand, or on limited release..unless the dealership or salesperson is desperate for numbers.

For example, a 2013 FR-S is listed (with $1495 freight) with no options at $27,895. The wholesale price as per CCC on the same vehicle is only around $1500 at $26,399. The 'recommendation' is to take the wholesale price and add a fair dealer markup/profit (recommended by CCC between 3-6%), minus any factory incentives, and go from there. Also do not be surprised if there are additional fees (e.g. admin) that the dealers will throw into the final price. We have never had difficulty having them omit these fees from the final price.

From our experience, CCC has been extremely beneficial to us. We have used it as a negotiating tool on our past 4 vehicle purchases and have given the remaining reports to my co-workers. The discount has been anywhere between cost, to cost + 3% for us. If you are from out of town and have no vehicle to trade in, I have even negotiated over the phone with CCC. If you can wait till month end or year-end, we have found dealerships to be even more motivated to work with you and negotiate.

To save yourself the $40, it may be worthwhile to see if somebody on here has remaining reports that they can spare?

Not sure which Toyota dealership you are planning to deal with; we have purchased Toyota's through Country Hills, High River (over the phone with a trade in), Charlesglen, and South Pointe. I'd highly recommend High River.

Good luck!
    Last edited by carzcraz; 07-01-2014 at 07:06 PM.
    Current Line-up…

Honda S2000
    FK8 Type R
    OG Mercedes Benz
    5th Gen T4R
    Lexus RX 350
    Ducati Streetfighter
    Modded Honda Grom

My Ride
    '08 AW E92 335i

^^ thank you for the great response. That's very useful information. The corolla we are looking at is the S model with the upgrade package and cvt transmission so it's not base but it's not the top of the line model either. The dealership is Lethbridge Toyota, but open to coming up to Calgary if it means a better deal.

My other question is, can you still negotiate and get a big price reduction on MSRP if you plan on financing or leasing or only if you pay cash or are cutting the dealership a cheque?

Oh and if anyone has any reports left that would be greatly appreciated, please pm me.

My Ride
    Evo X, R6, Tundra

I recently used CCC to purchase a 2014 Toyota tundra 1794 edition and it saved me a bit. The biggest discount you 'll see is if you cash purchase. Pm me your specs for the corolla, I got some reports left over.

My Ride
    Cars, trucks, bikes

We have done both...finance and cash (certified cheque). The latter used to give you the best negotiating power, so may still be the case nowadays. I think it just depends. For instance, my 4Runner was financed and the total price (all in) came out to less than MSRP. Several factors likely helped:

- CCC
    - Factory incentives
    - Purchase was made on December 30, 2011 (month end and year end)
    - Dealership was only a month old
    - Salesperson started 5 days ago

In terms of leasing...I helped my admin assistant negotiate over the phone using CCC on a 2015 Mazda 3 (mid level/options). The dealerships got too excited when they found out we were awaiting to hear from several others that one dealership ended up offering her cost + 1.5% over the phone.

Also, dealerships will be more motivated to sell and negotiate with you if you are purchasing a vehicle currently on their lot versus a factory order. This also is not always the case as I had to wait 6 weeks for the 4R as it had not yet been built at the time of negotiation.

Lastly...though I don't think it applies as much with import cars, it may be worthwhile to inquire into any 'corporate' discounts or, if applicable graduate discounts. We almost purchased a Focus ST and found out that because I work for an O&G company, I was entitled to another $2k (don't remember the exact value as it differs from model to model) discount on top of the factory incentives and CCC.
    Last edited by carzcraz; 07-01-2014 at 07:16 PM.
    Current Line-up…

Honda S2000
    FK8 Type R
    OG Mercedes Benz
    5th Gen T4R
    Lexus RX 350
    Ducati Streetfighter
    Modded Honda Grom

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Ask yourself how much $40 is in the big picture when you are looking to purchase a new car. The answer is obviously yes it's worth it.

My Ride
    car

I use unhaggle.ca and it is free. The reports could be bs but it seems legit.

Full disclosure.. I work in sales.

unhaggle.ca is an absolute joke. About a week or two ago we had that open while looking at costs and it wasn't even close. Save yourself looking like an ass and don't use that site.

Car cost canada... I believe is fairly accurate, but people seem to think "since I spent 40 bucks on this report you should give me the car at cost"

No, sorry, that's not how it works. In all honesty I have given better deals to people without car cost canada reports... you know why? They are respectful, and they offer something more to me than just purchasing a car and me never seeing them again.

So, in conclusion, if you want to spend the 40 on the report, do it. It may help, it may not. If it was me you were coming to, it would be a massive waste of money and you likely would have got a better deal without it.
    "Uptight user on beyond.ca" - Micheal Platt

Originally posted by FullFledgedYYC
    So, in conclusion, if you want to spend the 40 on the report, do it. It may help, it may not. If it was me you were coming to, it would be a massive waste of money and you likely would have got a better deal without it.
    $40 is a "massive waste of money"?

I can appreciate that some people that use CCC reports are unreasonable but the fact that you would treat them worse for being informed seems pretty ridiculous.

My Ride
    S14|TB1

Full disclosure.. I work in sales.
    ~
    In all honesty I have given better deals to people without car cost canada reports... you know why? They are respectful, and they offer something more to me than just purchasing a car and me never seeing them again.
    But you are just ONE salesperson out however many there are in the city and surrounding areas, the majority of salespeople don't think this way i'm pretty sure.

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

We have used CCC before and helped a few friends out. I believe it’s worth it for the price. Having said that I have been to dealers where the guy would just tell me ‘I will sell it to you for the CCC cost price plus $500 for example.
    I ran a report on CCC for a new Rav 4 and sent that to a friend. I then immediately got a mail from High River Toyota and the guy was quite nice. My friend went to a different deal and got the vehicle at a price very close to what we got from HR Toyota BUT she was mad because they told her she HAD to purchase a certain protection packages. Therefore in the end she paid more on stuff she didn’t want. That is due to a gal not knowing how to negotiate and stand up for stuff I guess.
    Anyways I would say yes, worth it, especially on a more costly vehicle.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Massive waste of money? What are you selling 80's junkers for $100-500 where $40 is proportional to vehicle cost?

Also if that's how you treat customers that choose to educate themselves on dealer pricing prior to coming in you are simply a terrible sales person.
    Last edited by heavyD; 07-02-2014 at 11:57 AM.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

I used CCC on our SUV that we purchased after negotiations were done but before releasing conditions. Salesperson told us they have $300 in profit in the deal and I was doubtful, went home ran the CCC and sure enough wholesale price was only $300 less than our agreed upon price.

IMO it's definitely worth it.

My Ride
    4x4

My truck worked out cheaper at the dealer than CCC's listed wholesale...

But it was definitely handy as a negotiating tool along the way.

My Ride
    '11 Titan/01 RC51

it won't get you the best deal ever but it does provide some piece of mind regarding pricing.

i'm pretty sure i still have a couple reports on my account, pm if you want me to run one for you.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Both CCC and uhaggle.ca are pretty close in info from what I have seen.

Both list all manufacturer rebates and loan rates, so you are clear in what you get going in.

Both are attaching report to closest internet sale department of the dealer in your area. So it's nice to sales people dealing with you knowing what you have in hand.

In the end, the only way to get a deal in Calgary is:

1) wait for model year end if you want maximum manufacturer incentives.

2) check lot inventory, only landed vehicles get heavily discounted. Low volume cars with wait list = no discounts.

3) Don't buy dealer installed crap, unless you can get them thrown in to close the deal after the lowest price has been reached.

All said, invoice price is pretty much the same for every car as margins are low. You are looking at $1K for cars under $20K and add another ~$1K for every $10K of MSRP from there.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 07-02-2014 at 03:18 PM.

It's $40. Poverty must suck.

It helped my friend save about $6,000 on a ATS.

My Ride
    335i

Just used it to buy a new car. Paid less than 1k over the invoice price.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

I've used it for the last 3 vehicles, and on my F150, I got it for $500 UNDER invoice. So, yes, I'm a fan.

Knowledge is power, even if it doesn't tell you it's going to save you thousands, you can at least get an idea of what the various packages are worth by comparing it to the MSRP website.
    Last edited by codetrap; 07-03-2014 at 01:05 PM.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

I think i was misunderstood... If someone brings me a carcost report... GREAT! They really didn't have to do that though... I will gladly show my invoice cost. You basically just spent 40 bucks for something I would have shown you for free... that's why I think it's a waste of money.

Also, there ARE variables in cost... perhaps it costs me more to bring a car in since I brought it from another dealer and a deal fell through on it... there are many variables.

Anyway, if it helps you sleep at night, great, get it! It makes my job easier as well, so I am all for it, I would just never spend money on it myself.
    "Uptight user on beyond.ca" - Micheal Platt

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast