Quantcast
Chefs Plate - Meal Ingredients delivered to your door - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Chefs Plate - Meal Ingredients delivered to your door

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Default Chefs Plate - Meal Ingredients delivered to your door

A couple of years ago, I had a thread on Dashing Dishes, which generated a lot of commentary. Well, they've changed their model, and I got kind of tired of that type of food. See that thread here: http://forums.beyond.ca/st/387243/da...meal-pre-prep/

Recently We've tried out Chefs Plate https://www.chefsplate.com
    It's a neat concept, it's meals delivered to your house. Seems strange to pay for courier fees (which are included in the price) for groceries, but it's actually been quite handy.

Here's my little review, with some photos:

This is the box it ships in, can of pop for scale (was out of bananas.) Usually delivered to my house by FedEx, overnight from Richmond. They also have distribution out of Ontario, and possibly elsewhere.

Pretty neat packaging, they have this honeycomb cardboard inside the box, which makes a pretty effective insulation. There is also a couple freezie-packs thrown in, the stuff has always arrived fully cold.

Here is what's in the box. You can see the two freezie packs, two packs of meat, and inside the brown bags are all the non-meat ingredients for the two meals.

This is all the ingredients for the one meal I'm reviewing, unpacked out of the bag. Pretty neat that they include "everything". You need to have cooking oil, and salt and pepper for seasoning, and that's it. Everything else is there.

438g of chicken breasts. The meat has always been good quality. No issues.

The ingredients come of course with the recipe on these cards. The recipes are easy to understand, and it's handy that they include full nutrition information. I do find that the estimate times are a bit short, it usually takes us about 20 minutes longer after prep times are factored in.

The back of the recipe card, with step by step instructions.

One neat thing is that any of the pasta dishes are pretty much always fresh pasta, and often "uncommon" shapes. My kids get a kick out of that. These Orichettes look like little ears. Kid couldn't stop laughing about eating ears. The fresh pasta is a nice touch.

This is how much it made. They say it's enough for four adults, and that's probably about right, unless you have a big eater. It's usualyl enough for the two adults in my family, plus the two little kids who don't eat much, plus one lunch serving for the next day.

This one came with some bread crumbs to put on top, and it came out nice and crispy.

In summary, it's an interesting idea, and really well executed, with tasty and interesting recipes. It IS more expensive than picking up the same ingredients from the grocery store, but for busy families who want something they can cook without much forethought on a weeknight, it's a cool option. Cost is $79 for two meals of four servings each. If anyone is wanting to try it out, PM me and I think I can refer you can you get a free meal or two. I get some kind of kickback too. I think the company runs a 50% off deal right through the website sometimes as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Thanks for the review. A colleague of mine also uses this service and speaks highly of it. Might give it a try being as I am often out of ideas for things to make when I come home from work and unless it is in the slow cooker, my husband and I often are eating at a restaurant.

Thanks for sharing, this is a pretty interesting concept. Being single again after a failed marriage, one of the things I hate doing is cooking for one. I don't mind cooking and taking the left overs for lunch but my meals are usually that inspired. This would be a good way to get some new recipes as well.

Have you priced out how much of a premium you re paying by having everything pre-portioned and delivered vs picking everything up from a grocery store?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Originally posted by cet
    Thanks for sharing, this is a pretty interesting concept. Being single again after a failed marriage, one of the things I hate doing is cooking for one. I don't mind cooking and taking the left overs for lunch but my meals are usually that inspired. This would be a good way to get some new recipes as well.

Have you priced out how much of a premium you re paying by having everything pre-portioned and delivered vs picking everything up from a grocery store?
    I haven't done the economics too tightly, because let's face it, I'm not going out and buying 50g of bread crumbs and a quarter bulb of garlic etc. If I'm shopping, it'll end up being simpler dishes.

I'm pretty sure you can get the meals sized for two, which might make more sense if you are cooking for one.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Originally posted by ExtraSlow

I haven't done the economics too tightly, because let's face it, I'm not going out and buying 50g of bread crumbs and a quarter bulb of garlic etc. If I'm shopping, it'll end up being simpler dishes.

I'm pretty sure you can get the meals sized for two, which might make more sense if you are cooking for one.
    That's one of the aspects that appeals to me. At the moment if I want to have a spinach salad for dinner I go and get a bag of spinach. Now I'm stuck eating spinach for the next 3 days or letting it go to waste.

*edit - removed
    Last edited by GQBalla; 11-01-2016 at 02:49 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

They have details on all the different pricing plans on the website.
    https://www.chefsplate.com/pricing

For a single person, or a couple who aren't big eaters, probably want to have three two-person means per week for $65.70. They do a two two-person meals per week, but then they have to tack on six bucks delivery costs.

For the plan I'm on, it's $9.75 a serving. There are many days that I eat more than one serving. Which is definitely more than you'd spend on the equivalent groceries.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I can get anyone that same deal for "three free plates" if they get referred through me, and then I get a kickback too. PM me if you want to go that way.

I can get anyone that same deal for "three free plates" if they get referred through me, and then I get a kickback too. PM me if you want to go that way.
    oh scratch my link then - didn't know it was code specific. Ill edit mine

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Thanks to the one beyonder who has use my referral, it scores me a couple free meals. If anyone else wants that, PM me your email address.

Or use one of the other links out there, I think you get the same three free plates either way.
    Last edited by ExtraSlow; 11-07-2016 at 07:38 PM.

My Ride
    LX 5.0

Pm'd

My Ride
    Saab 9-5

The only thing that is missing are those small airport wine bottles.
    That would be kick ass.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/34/The_Smoking_Man_(X-Files).jpg

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

My wife informs me that it looks like several beyonders have signed up using my link. I would love if someone else could post a review of their experience. Anyone else wanting to get the referral deal should just PM me their email address. The codes are specific to the email address, so I can't post it, or PM you with it.

I had my first delivery 2 weeks ago, picked 3 meals for 2 to try it out. With the referral it ended up being half price, or about $10/meal which we felt was more reasonable than the full price. The main reasoning is that at full price, it's comparable to eating out, but with a lot more effort.

- No food waste. All the ingredients are used up when you're done cooking the meal. This was a big one, because we find that we will buy ingredients to make something and then have left overs that never get used and then have to be tossed out after a few weeks. This could be solved with better meal planning, making sure we have meals that will use up the ingredients.
    - measured amounts. you don't have to measure anything, it's all done for you

Dislikes:
    - what you save on food waste, you make up with container waste. All the little baggies and containers seems to be much more wasteful than just going grocery shopping. Could be perception though
    - food prep is still there. you still have to dice the onions and mince the garlic and chop etc.
    - they messed up on my first order. Sent me beef instead of chicken for one of the meals. The did rectify it right away by applying a plate credit on my account, but we did have to go out and grab some chicken to make it up and find something to do with the beef.
    - some of the recipes weren't to our liking. we're 1/3 on dishes that we would make again. I have another 2 coming today so I'll update with the tally later on
    - limited selection. They have about 8 selections each week, but it's just one option per protein type. So if you want chicken, there's only one choice.

Overall, I'm glad we tried it but I don't think we'll continue on after this order. We cook a lot at home already and just need to plan a little better to reduce waste. I also like finding my own recipes that I would like to try. For the price, I'd rather pay a little more and just go out to eat a meal and be served, with no prep, no cooking, no clean up.
    heloc that shit

and they messed up on my second order too. ordered fish tacos and got pork schnitzel
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Pork Schnitzel is better, that's not a mistake, it's an improvement!

My Ride
    99 Blazer

Did finally sign up with your link, first delivery next week seems perfect for the single dude honestly, will report back.

My Ride
    SL550, P100DL, F-450, FIAT

I've been doing this for a bit now. Just got my order today.

Fish tacos, pork schnitzel and some pasta chicken stuff.... I'm happy so far with how easy it is to cook for us two!

If anyone wants to us a link here is another one.

http://www.chefsplate.com/?r=3pc-Qbhaizf
    Professionally Retired

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Signed up a few weeks ago. Started with 3 meals for 2 people and have since switched to 4 meals for 2. Wife and I are really enjoying it. There was only 1 meal I didn't like, everything else has been great.

I never cooked in our household (other than bbq in summer) but with this I actually enjoy it since everything is there and there is a list to follow

With 0 food waste, not having to go shop for stuff, me actually enjoying cooking something the price is not bad IMO. Pretty much the same as any fast food combo would cost.

Made a Provolone and Portobello Mushroom Dip sandwiches last night. Will try the Pork Schnitzel today.
    Last edited by Aleks; 12-07-2016 at 09:07 AM.

Pork Schnitzel is better, that's not a mistake, it's an improvement!
    Not if I wanted fish tacos. If the tacos are that bad, they shouldn't be on the menu. But 2/2 orders that have mistakes doesn't do it for me
    heloc that shit

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast