is pretty sharp lookin'

My Ride
    NC1

^

Yes. Do want. Holy.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-17-2019 at 04:50 PM.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

I agree, I've ridden in a few Focus RS cars now, I don't find them uncomfortable at all... rather quite the opposite. Then again, I prefer cars with a stiffer ride... anything with soggy "comfortable" suspension makes me feel like it is going to list off the edge of a corner.

I don't think this Type-R is AWD (if I am wrong, please correct me... this thread has a LOT of pages, lol)... so I think it is better compared to the Focus ST than the RS.

It might have more power than the Focus ST on paper, but I have a feeling it won't be as nearly good to drive, despite the higher cost. What Honda does have going is the refinement aspect, but in this price range I'd be looking to jump into an Audi S3 if that is what I was after. Similar power, the advantage of AWD, and German styling and refinement for the about the same price?

Unless you are hung up on the giant wing, there isn't any reason to get a Type-R over the S3. Well... maybe the manual trans option... but again, I'd sooner get a Focus ST if I was being a purist about it.
    You’re correct, its is FWD only.

And rumoured to be mid $40k-ish… is that the price of an Audi S3?

My Ride
    Beyond Fit Golf R and Berta RAM 1500

I agree, I've ridden in a few Focus RS cars now, I don't find them uncomfortable at all... rather quite the opposite. Then again, I prefer cars with a stiffer ride... anything with soggy "comfortable" suspension makes me feel like it is going to list off the edge of a corner.

I don't think this Type-R is AWD (if I am wrong, please correct me... this thread has a LOT of pages, lol)... so I think it is better compared to the Focus ST than the RS.

It might have more power than the Focus ST on paper, but I have a feeling it won't be as nearly good to drive, despite the higher cost. What Honda does have going is the refinement aspect, but in this price range I'd be looking to jump into an Audi S3 if that is what I was after. Similar power, the advantage of AWD, and German styling and refinement for the about the same price?

Unless you are hung up on the giant wing, there isn't any reason to get a Type-R over the S3. Well... maybe the manual trans option... but again, I'd sooner get a Focus ST if I was being a purist about it.
    Well considering the CTR will be in the low 40k range MSRP I would say it competes more with the Golf R than the Audi S3. As for the CTR vs the Focus ST comparison, The ST will do everything the CTR can do about 85% as well. The CTR should be the most powerful and fastest FWD car ever built. On a track with ideal conditions it might even beat the Focus RS for lap times.

Rev matched downshifts, adjustable suspension modes, massively upgraded drive-train, and still build in England? Damn, looking pretty good for only $10K more than a normal Civic hatch.

At ~$40K though there are A LOT of cars to look at. Curious to see where it lands when the dust settles, both performance and price wise. I won't be surprised to see it outperform a Focus RS, all the while being more refined and generally a nicer vehicle to be in day-to-day. We will see though.

My Ride
    Beyond Fit Golf R and Berta RAM 1500

Even if it is low 40K and not mid 40K, it is only a matter of a few grand between the two. If you are looking at the Type-R, you have already decided to spend a premium dollar, so I can see people cross shopping it against the S3. Just my take on it.

The Golf R also comes with an entire AWD drivetrain and similar power for less money than the Type-R. That said, I think the Civic will be more fun to drive... of course, I keep hearing that the GTi is actually quite a bit more fun than the R. I would say that the Type-R and GTi are going to be more evenly matched competitors, only the GTi is a lot cheaper.

As far as the Civic beating the Focus RS on the track... I don't see it happening. Ford has the ST and RS lineup teetering on the edge of performance limits for cars like that, and without AWD I just don't see it happening. I would actually be surprised if it could best a Focus ST on a track by more than a hair.
    Yeah the CTR should be more fun to drive than the Golf R Id say for sure. Golf GTI with the performance package will not come near the CTR. I think you are thinking of the GTI Clubsport S?? Which is European only. GTI in Canada is only like 230hp area so it has zero chance to compete with the CTR. And GTI pricing is only 1-2k cheaper than the Golf R when you load up the GTI.

This new CTR should be able to beat the Focus RS on track.... Considering how fast the 9th gen CTR is. But only in ideal conditions.

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

I am hoping The Grand Tour will do a comparison between the RS, GTI-R and CTR like they did with the P1, 918 and LaFerrari.

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

When did "built in England" become a bragging point? Reliability isn't the first thing that comes to mind when I think of brands like Jaguar, Land Rover, MG, Triumph, TVR, etc.

My Ride
    has a stick axle

Originally posted by gpomp
    When did "built in England" become a bragging point? Reliability isn't the first thing that comes to mind when I think of brands like Jaguar, Land Rover, MG, Triumph, TVR, etc.

When built in Mexico became the norm.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Trying to figure out what would be worse; built in England or Italy?

My Ride
    AP1

It's possible that craftsmanship in England might be better?

I would say that any reliability issues would be related to the engineering/design of the car as opposed to the location of assembly.

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by KRyn

When built in Mexico became the norm.
    One would argue that Mexicans work harder.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Anything fwd the CTR will decimate that's for sure. That's what it was built for, to be the Fastest FWD ever at the ring anyway.

So anyway, maybe I'll let you guys know how it does
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

England just means it's a hatch, they make the sedans in Ontario. The hatches are made better than the sedans, but geographic location of the factory is very likely not the reason for that.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I'm definitely in for a used one in a couple years, can't afford to pay cash for a new one personally.

My Ride
    LNF

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

The hatches are made better than the sedans

That is an interesting assumption..

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

As far as the Civic beating the Focus RS on the track... I don't see it happening. Ford has the ST and RS lineup teetering on the edge of performance limits for cars like that, and without AWD I just don't see it happening. I would actually be surprised if it could best a Focus ST on a track by more than a hair.
    So unless Honda decided to make the new CTR worse it will beat the RS in a track setting. The current CTR in Europe already does, and in some of the vids online reviewers agree it's a better track car than RS in dry conditions.

Cars like GTI and Focus ST aren't anywhere near the CTR in terms of track ability. Now for daily driving it's a different story. Looks like the CTR will come with 20" 30 series tires. That's going to be interesting on roads we have here.

Page 27 of 73 FirstFirst ... 17 26 27 28 37 ... LastLast