Quantcast
Civic Type-R Turbo Mega Thread - Page 31 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 31 of 73 FirstFirst ... 21 30 31 32 41 ... LastLast

Thread: Civic Type-R Turbo Mega Thread

Originally posted by tehwegz

Everyone knows these cars are going to get modified given the demographic of people buying them, and easy aftermarket access/availability. Maybe not right away, as some will want to keep their warranty.

FRPP has factory backed tunes available for the Fiesta ST and Focus ST.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/2364-215-AA
    http://performance.ford.com/enthusia...rks-plugs.html

Here's hoping the Honda offers something similar.
    Was the #1 Forum Warrior

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by Toms-SC

Here's hoping the Honda offers something similar.
    Honda is too obtuse for that. They'll just release a Mugen version that has 20 more HP at an extra 20% cost, and won't be available in North America

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

OK fair enough, let me ask a different way - if performance is in line with the competition (GTI, etc.), will you still be disappointed just because on paper the HP is listed at 205?
    Have to wait and see, but GTI is a 100mph trap car stock. Focus ST is 94-96mph. I doubt that the 1.5T in the Si will be able to go as fast as the GTI.

My Ride
    LNF

A Civic SI also weighs in at 2800 lbs. where a GTI is 3100 lbs. (over 10% heavier). And the Civic has a LSD vs no LSD in a base GTI.

So while I agree that I am a bit disappointed with the HP/TQ numbers, I am not writing this car off yet. It has an LSD, Adaptive suspension and a 6 speed manual with a engine that delivers most of its TQ at a low RPM.

I just hope that this car has a MSRP around 30K or under.

My Ride
    LNF

The Civic SI weighs 2800 lbs. vs 3100 lbs for a 5 door GTI. It also comes with an LSD, Adaptive suspension, a 6 speed manual and a engine that has most of its TQ at low RPM.

As much as I want to complain about the HP/TQ numbers, I want to give this car a chance. I just really hope that this car comes in at 30K or less.

My Ride
    2015 honda crv 2015 subaru sti sport

SI revealed today
    205 hp 195 tq
    http://www.civicx.com/threads/honda-...t-video.10248/

Apr 6, 2017
    First ever turbocharged Civic Si is most agile, best-handling Si yet
    Standard features include Apple Carplay™ and Android Auto™
    Production reveal of Civic Si Coupe and Sedan variants on YouTube
    TORRANCE, Calif. – The all-new Honda Civic Si Coupe and Civic Si Sedan debuted today in a global reveal video broadcast on Honda’s YouTube channel at honda.us/2017CivicSiReveal. The exciting and dynamic video features the stylish, personal two-door coupe and sleek, accommodating four-door sedan - both sporty Si variants are designed for the everyday enthusiast. The new Civic Si Sedan and Coupe will go on-sale next month with an MSRP in the mid-$20,000 range.

"The 2017 Honda Civic Si is our first turbocharged Si and sets a new sporty compact benchmark in terms of agility and precise handling while building toward the launch of the Type R as the final chapter in our epic 10th-generation Civic story," said Jeff Conrad, senior vice president automobile division, American Honda.

Powertrain and chassis
    Powering the Civic Si is a high-performance, high-torque 1.5-liter, directed-injected and turbocharged DOHC in-line 4-cylinder engine with dual variable cam timing (dual VTC). Mated to a short-throw, 6-speed manual transmission, the powertrain provides a thrilling new driving experience with more low-end grunt and increased torque output across the engine's full rev range compared to the previous Si. Peak horsepower of 205 horsepower (@ 5700 rpm (SAE net)) arrives 1300 rpm lower in the rev range, and the increased peak torque of 192 lb-ft (+18 lb-ft) (@ 2100-5000 rpm (SAE net)) is produced 2300 rpm earlier and sustained over 70 percent of the rev range.

Allowing full utilization of the powertrain, the 2017 Civic Si is significantly lighter than the previous generation model and features a more rigid body including highly upgraded chassis and drive components. These upgrades include a dual-pinion adaptive electric power steering system with variable ratios, sport-tuned suspension, an adaptive damper system, a helical limited-slip differential, larger 12.3-inch front brake rotors and wider 235/40 R18 tires with a performance tire option. In addition to adaptive dampers, suspension upgrades include stiffer spring rates, more rigid stabilizer bars (+30 percent front, +60 percent rear), solid front and rear compliance bushings, and ultra-rigid front upper control arms shared with the Civic Type R.

Allowing the driver to choose vehicle power and chassis dynamic characteristics according to their tastes and the driving environment, the 2017 Civic Si now features two driving mode options: Normal and Sport. From the more comfort-oriented yet well controlled default Normal Mode, the Sport Mode adjusts the suspension damping characteristics plus steering and throttle response for a more taut and direct driving experience.

Sporty design and styling
    Upping the sporty style quotient from the standard Civic Sedan and Coupe, the Si models feature an aggressive black "wing" front fascia with larger side air intake features, 18-inch 10-spoke alloy wheels with a model-exclusive two-tone finish, wearing 235mm-wide, low-profile tires, and a chrome center-mounted polygonal exhaust finisher. At the rear, the Si Sedan includes larger side vent features and a deck lid spoiler incorporating a LED brake light. The Si Coupe continues the Civic Coupe's distinctive full-width light bar and adds a prominent raised spoiler.

The Civic Si interior features Si-exclusive bolstered front sport seats with red stitching, including stitched Si logos. The red sport stitching carries through to the doors, steering wheel and leather shift boot with aluminum shift knob. The Si interior also features a red driver's TFT meter and audio system illumination, aluminum sport pedals and Dry Metal Carbon instrument panel trim.

Interior Comfort, Convenience and Connectivity
    The new Civic Si variants offers premium comfort and convenience features building off of the EX-T Civic Sedan and EX-T Civic Coupe, including:

Remote engine start
    Electronic parking brake
    Walk away door locking
    Dual-zone automatic climate control
    Heated front seats
    Rain-sensing wipers
    Accommodating modern connectivity needs, the new Civic Si also includes a 7-inch Display Audio touchscreen that serves as the nerve center for control of audio, HVAC and other functions. The Display Audio is integrated with Apple CarPlay™ and Android Auto™ platforms, providing seamless integration of smartphone features and functions, including app-based navigation, streaming audio, voice-controlled search capabilities, and access to a host of Apple- or Google-approved smartphone apps. All Si models feature a 450-watt, 10-speaker AM/FM/CD sound system with SiriusXM® Radio, HD Radio™ and Pandora® capability.

Safety
    The 2017 Civic Si Coupe and Sedan are designed to provide a high level of collision safety performance in a wide variety of collision scenarios, including offset and oblique-angle frontal collisions as well as side and rear impacts. The Civic's safety performance starts with its class-leading forward visibility and precise, stable and predictable steering, handling and braking performance. Standard four-channel anti-lock brakes (ABS) with Electronic Brake Distribution (EBD), Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA)4 with traction control and Agile Handling Assist further enhance dynamic stability and emergency maneuvering and braking performance. The Civic Si targets the highest NCAP 5-star Overall Vehicle Score.

Manufacturing
    The 2017 Civic Si Coupe and Sedan for the U.S. market will be produced at Honda's plant in Ontario, Canada, using domestic and globally sourced parts. Its engine is produced in Anna, Ohio using domestic and globally sourced parts, at the largest automobile engine plant in Honda's global production network.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    click for larger version
    click for larger version
    Last edited by 4doorj; 04-06-2017 at 09:24 AM.

No surprise hatch (not that I was expecting one)

On the plus side the HP/TQ bump is very modest compared to the Sport 6MT hatch so I'm not missing out too much.

If they sandbagged the numbers to the same degree as the other 1.5T, it is making around 235HP / 225TQ. If they didn't sandbag the numbers, it's barely making any more power than the non-Si 1.5T so I've got to believe they are. Torque range is narrower, so they are probably using a larger turbo. The adjustable suspension sure would be nice though.

My Ride
    2015 honda crv 2015 subaru sti sport

Yah for exterior its basically a coupe/sedan with hatch bumpers and wheels.

I like it though, just disapointed with the HP and TQ.
    Seats looks awesome

Originally posted by 4doorj
    Yah for exterior its basically a coupe/sedan with hatch bumpers and wheels.

I like it though, just disapointed with the HP and TQ.
    Seats looks awesome
    It doesn't get the better stereo the hatch gets either, too bad. Power numbers, if under rated like the others, are actually pretty good for a ~2900lb car - performance should be on par with a GTI and even the standard 1.5T is faster than a Focus ST 0-60. If not, and the power numbers are real, then that's a little disappointing indeed.

My Ride
    Beyond Fit Golf R and Berta RAM 1500

Im so glad I got off the Honda bandwagon a long long time ago. They are so bad. Like really you are going to release a brand new chassis, engine, in the Si and give it the SAME 205hp? lol. Leave it to Honda to do something as stupid as that.

Originally posted by Redlined_8000
    Im so glad I got off the Honda bandwagon a long long time ago. They are so bad. Like really you are going to release a brand new chassis, engine, in the Si and give it the SAME 205hp? lol. Leave it to Honda to do something as stupid as that.
    To be fair, if it's underrated to the same degree as the 1.5T in the Sport, it will really make more like ~235HP or somewhere around there. Torque is also up considerably, and over a much broader range than the outgoing model. The chassis is also much better now. People buy on HP but drive on torque is what I find. Regardless of power figures, if performance matches the GTI I think they did their job. If it doesn't, that will be disappointing, so we'll see.

My Ride
    Beyond Fit Golf R and Berta RAM 1500

To be fair, if it's underrated to the same degree as the 1.5T in the Sport, it will really make more like ~235HP or somewhere around there. Torque is also up considerably, and over a much broader range than the outgoing model. The chassis is also much better now. People buy on HP but drive on torque is what I find. Regardless of power figures, if performance matches the GTI I think they did their job. If it doesn't, that will be disappointing, so we'll see.
    Every turbo engine is underrated.

I only go off of factory figures. In this case the Civic Si is 205hp and GTI is 220hp. In the real world on a super generous dyno the Civic might be 220hp and the GTI is already confirmed in the 260hp range.

I agree the new Si is better than the old Si.... But is Honda keeping up to the competition or are they ignoring it like usual lol.

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

I bought a Civic in 2007 that had 200 hp.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Only available in coupe/sedan for the Si? Dumb.

That makes the Type R way more practical, lol

Originally posted by Redlined_8000

Every turbo engine is underrated.

I only go off of factory figures. In this case the Civic Si is 205hp and GTI is 220hp. In the real world on a super generous dyno the Civic might be 220hp and the GTI is already confirmed in the 260hp range.

I agree the new Si is better than the old Si.... But is Honda keeping up to the competition or are they ignoring it like usual lol.
    OK fair enough, let me ask a different way - if performance is in line with the competition (GTI, etc.), will you still be disappointed just because on paper the HP is listed at 205? Also if we acknowledge that every turbo motor is underrated, the power numbers can't be compared to any previous Si which are all N/A (which seems to be the source of disappointment for many). Compared to previous Si's, most people seem to be ignoring the torque as well, which is what they will feel way more than any HP gain.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by Disoblige
    Only available in coupe/sedan for the Si? Dumb.

That makes the Type R way more practical, lol
    And way more expensive.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

The new Si isn't quite where it should be powerwise.

I really don't know what to say - as a fanboy - I knew it would end up with 206-212 hp but I hoped we'd see 220+.

I know they dyno higher, what's interesting to me is honda could have "shocked" the community with the DI K24 and DCT from the ILX.

Give it a few more ponies to 215, tune the dct for fast shifts and voila.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

1/4 miles trap speeds @ Car and Driver

GTI - 100 mph (220hp)
    Focus ST - 94-96 mph (252hp)
    Fiesta ST - 93 mph (197hp)
    Civic Touring - 94 mph (174hp)

hp ratings aren't that important and don't mean much, within reason. As long as you're not comparing 200hp to 400hp for example.

Originally posted by Darkane
    The new Si isn't quite where it should be powerwise.

I really don't know what to say - as a fanboy - I knew it would end up with 206-212 hp but I hoped we'd see 220+.

I know they dyno higher, what's interesting to me is honda could have "shocked" the community with the DI K24 and DCT from the ILX.

Give it a few more ponies to 215, tune the dct for fast shifts and voila.
    I would much rather have the 1.5T over the N/A 2.4L from the ILX, but a DCT would be a fantastic option on all models. How would that motor shock anyone? Or do you mean if they turbo'd it?

I'm surprised so many people are obsessing over a few HP on a car that is almost surely underrated by a significant amount, and nobody even mentions torque.

My Ride
    LNF

OK fair enough, let me ask a different way - if performance is in line with the competition (GTI, etc.), will you still be disappointed just because on paper the HP is listed at 205? Also if we acknowledge that every turbo motor is underrated, the power numbers can't be compared to any previous Si which are all N/A (which seems to be the source of disappointment for many). Compared to previous Si's, most people seem to be ignoring the torque as well, which is what they will feel way more than any HP gain.
    The Civic SI weighs 2800 lbs. vs 3100 lbs for a 5 door GTI. It also comes with an LSD, Adaptive suspension, a 6 speed manual and a engine that has most of its TQ at low RPM.

As much as I want to complain about the HP/TQ numbers, I want to give this car a chance. I just really hope that this car comes in at 30K or less.

Page 31 of 73 FirstFirst ... 21 30 31 32 41 ... LastLast