Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Campus Chat > Computer programming is hard (H1B India)

Author
Thread
ZenOps
Neutral

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.07
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 99%

Computer programming is hard (H1B India) quote:

http://www.gadgetsnow.com/jobs/95-e...ow/58278224.cms

Trump seems to be revoking H1B for computer programmers.

I totally believe the numbers, only about 4.77% of current India graduates can create functional compilable usable code. Of that 1.4% can actually create optimized code that is any better than any other programmer.

BUT

Noone is really willing to give out the US numbers on programming competency either. Its also heavily skewed toward English and traditional programming, which just like basic math they teach nowadays might not be all that useful in the long run.

I learned programming back in the COMAL and Fortran 77 days, when English had nothing to do with programming other than you had to remove it to optimize it, lol.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-21-2017 05:30 PM
ZenOps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ZenOps Click here to Send ZenOps a Private Message Find more posts by ZenOps Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

Alterac
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.10
Trader Rating: (14)

quote:

From my experience with our in house vs outsourced programmers, this article is fairly accurate.

You get what you pay for.

Old Post 04-21-2017 05:44 PM
Alterac is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alterac Click here to Send Alterac a Private Message Find more posts by Alterac Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rage2

What I drive: Ricer SUV, Lexus Coupe in Mid Life Crisis Orange
Posts/Day: 1.10
Trader Rating: (25)

quote:

From my experiencing interviewing hundreds to thousands of Indian grads, this article is 100% accurate.

The key is finding the diamond in the rough when it comes to new grads, which is insanely difficult.

Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Old Post 04-21-2017 06:11 PM
rage2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rage2 Click here to Send rage2 a Private Message Visit rage2's homepage! Find more posts by rage2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ee2k

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.03
User Rating: 98%

quote:

But here's the thing: they can have 20 stabs at the same problem and finally resolve it, and still cost 1/5th of the US based programmer.

I heard that engineering firms here are also sending work out to Egypt with each work taking multiple tries and still getting done for a lot cheaper.

I am sure that Microsoft and them who advocate for H1B would know what the quality levels are and still go for it.

Old Post 04-21-2017 06:19 PM
ee2k is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ee2k Click here to Send ee2k a Private Message Find more posts by ee2k Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rage2

What I drive: Ricer SUV, Lexus Coupe in Mid Life Crisis Orange
Posts/Day: 1.10
Trader Rating: (25)

quote:

The article has nothing to do with H1B. H1B's are the top guys out of India who make it onto US soil. Once they're in the US, they're getting paid just as well as a US programmer.

The savings isn't bringing people to the US. It's keeping the people overseas and paying them overseas wages.

Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Old Post 04-21-2017 06:51 PM
rage2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rage2 Click here to Send rage2 a Private Message Visit rage2's homepage! Find more posts by rage2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
phreezee
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.23
Trader Rating: (8)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

The ones that make it over usually have a Masters degree at least.

Old Post 04-21-2017 11:18 PM
phreezee is offline Click Here to See the Profile for phreezee Click here to Send phreezee a Private Message Find more posts by phreezee Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
suntan
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.24
User Rating: 97%

quote:

ROFL a Masters' Degree makes one a better programmer.

I think I would be the best programmer on the U of C campus if I worked there.

Old Post 04-23-2017 04:30 PM
suntan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for suntan Click here to Send suntan a Private Message Find more posts by suntan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
01RedDX
Third Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.58
Trader Rating: (22)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

Could it be that a huge IT boom and the promise of easy money caused a boom in shitty tech colleges as well?

Old Post 04-23-2017 04:48 PM
01RedDX is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 01RedDX Click here to Send 01RedDX a Private Message Find more posts by 01RedDX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 06:58 AM (GMT) Post New Thread   
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Campus Chat > Computer programming is hard (H1B India)

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: