Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Real Estate / Finance > Debt consolidation help

Author
Thread
Hero_X
Neutral

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.05
Trader Rating: (5)
User Rating: 100%

Debt consolidation help quote:

Hi guys,

So I was laid off and had accumulated unfortunate Credit Card debt. While I do make payments to the CCs consistently, I find that with 22% interest, I'm not getting close to paying it off.

I've contacted my bank in regards to a consolidation loan; they offered me a good rate but they said the requirement would be for me to hold no credit card at all.

This isn't acceptable to me as CC is necessary in many transactions. It's not that I can't pay my CC bills, i just can't stand the interest and the time it's gonna take me.

I just want to make sure my payments are efficiently reducing my debt.

What can I do?

I'm working now but the job isn't that high paying so I'm not able to clear them up quickly.

Please share your advice, thank you.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-13-2017 12:52 AM
Hero_X is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hero_X Click here to Send Hero_X a Private Message Find more posts by Hero_X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

HiTempguy1
First Gear

What I drive: 1995 WRX STi
Posts/Day: 0.28
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 95%

quote:

If you own your home, get a HELOC .

If your credit is good, get a personal loan. The fact that you are making payments, I don't see any reason why a bank wouldn't loan you that money, they would certainly want your business.

If your credit isn't good, try applying for a credit card that gives you an introductory rate. Lots of cards offer 0% or 1.99% for the first 10-12 months if you do a balance transfer, plus a 1% fee.

Just off the top of my head. There might be better ways, but I don't know.

Old Post 04-13-2017 12:58 AM
HiTempguy1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HiTempguy1 Click here to Send HiTempguy1 a Private Message Find more posts by HiTempguy1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ercchry
Fifth Gear

What I drive: E90M3 510 Wagon
Posts/Day: 1.51
Trader Rating: (6)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

It's hard to give you a very detailed plan without a lot more personal info... that you probably don't want to post online. I'd recommend talking to a professional, banks are usually brutal to work with unless you're bringing them new money

Old Post 04-13-2017 01:04 AM
ercchry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ercchry Click here to Send ercchry a Private Message Visit ercchry's homepage! Find more posts by ercchry Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ExtraSlow
Third Gear

What I drive: 2010 Recession Fighter LX
Posts/Day: 1.11
Trader Rating: (27)
User Rating: 101%

quote:

HELOC or personal loan from the bank.

Also, if at all possible, sell your shit to get ahead of this. If you drive a nice car, sell it and drive a shitbox until you can get your financial house in order.

Paying 22% is as damaging for you long term as starting a meth habit.

Old Post 04-13-2017 01:31 AM
ExtraSlow is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ExtraSlow Click here to Send ExtraSlow a Private Message Find more posts by ExtraSlow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
legendboy
AMG Killer

What I drive: 6.7 CUMMINS
Posts/Day: 0.84
Trader Rating: (28)

quote:

i would at least in the short term look at a td emerald card and transfer your balance and get rid of the other card

my wife has an interest rate of 4.7 on her cc

https:[email protected]

Old Post 04-13-2017 01:42 AM
legendboy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for legendboy Click here to Send legendboy a Private Message Find more posts by legendboy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hero_X
Neutral

What I drive:

quote:

I called my bank and they're willing to give me a personal loan. However, the requirement is that i cancel all CC's, and thats the only condition not acceptable to me.

I'm making payments and making extra payments as well. For the time being, my income isn't so high that i can just blast off the debt completely; but if/when i'm in better condition I would be doing that.

This is the first time i've ever accumulated debt on CC, otherwise I never had cc debt. I've had a CC since 18 and I always made sure to pay it off right away.

But yeah..being laid off fcked me over

Old Post 04-13-2017 03:07 AM
Hero_X is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hero_X Click here to Send Hero_X a Private Message Find more posts by Hero_X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FraserB
Third Gear

What I drive: GMT900
Posts/Day: 0.89
Trader Rating: (12)
User Rating: 98%

quote:

Can you cancel your cards and get a pre-paid card to use on transactions that require a CC?

Old Post 04-13-2017 03:18 AM
FraserB is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FraserB Click here to Send FraserB a Private Message Find more posts by FraserB Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
roopi
Second Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.31
Trader Rating: (49)
User Rating: 237%

quote:

Get the loan and cancel the cards. Then apply for another credit card with a different bank/company.

Old Post 04-13-2017 03:34 AM
roopi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for roopi Click here to Send roopi a Private Message Find more posts by roopi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hero_X
Neutral

What I drive:

quote:

Originally posted by roopi
Get the loan and cancel the cards. Then apply for another credit card with a different bank/company.

would the new bank not see the loan on my credit history? (along with the requirement that I'm not to hold cc) ?

Old Post 04-13-2017 03:50 AM
roopi
Second Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.31
Trader Rating: (49)
User Rating: 237%

quote:

Originally posted by Hero_X

would the new bank not see the loan on my credit history? (along with the requirement that I'm not to hold cc) ?

They will definitely see the loan. I'm not aware if they would see any requirements though. I'm guessing they wouldn't. Companies like capital one and mbna hand out cards like candy.

Old Post 04-13-2017 04:06 AM
roopi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for roopi Click here to Send roopi a Private Message Find more posts by roopi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jacky4566
First Gear

What I drive: is broken
Posts/Day: 0.21
Trader Rating: (7)
User Rating: 95%

quote:

Originally posted by Hero_X
I called my bank and they're willing to give me a personal loan. However, the requirement is that i cancel all CC's, and thats the only condition not acceptable to me.

That seems really weird. Have you tried a different bank? Unless we are talking about 20K+ you should be able to get an unsecured LOC without much hassle.

Old Post 04-13-2017 04:12 AM
jacky4566 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jacky4566 Click here to Send jacky4566 a Private Message Find more posts by jacky4566 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tonytiger55

What I drive: Old Honda
Posts/Day: 0.10
Trader Rating: (0)

quote:

Its hard to give actual advice without knowing the full financial details. Go to your bank and flip the card to a low interest card immediately.

Most banks have one. If its TD its the emerald. You don't need a appointment, the teller can do it for you. Its just a button they press and signed form and that's it. This should be the first thing you do. Your bank who offered you a personal loan should have recommend this the first time. If they did not its pretty evident then they are not looking out for you. But then again its a bank, they would not.

If you close the card it may be really hard to apply for a new one in the future and past history is a indicator of future habits. They would be able to see your credit card debit, missed payments etc.

Basically credit is based upon four things, income, debit, savings and credit score. Thats why its different for everyone. The idea of going to a bank and they giving you a ULOC just like that does not work. The four factors are at play here.

You need to pay off the CC right away. I get the new job is not paying much. But draw up a plan with things you need to exist like food, rent, gas. Then focus on paying it right down.
Do not joke with credit card debit, ive seen clients get screwed over several times years later.

Last edited by tonytiger55 on 04-13-2017 at 03:26 PM

Old Post 04-13-2017 03:24 PM
tonytiger55 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tonytiger55 Click here to Send tonytiger55 a Private Message Find more posts by tonytiger55 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blownz
First Gear

What I drive: F10
Posts/Day: 0.17
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

Can you just work out a deal with the bank to lower your credit card to $1K or so?

Old Post 04-13-2017 11:20 PM
blownz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blownz Click here to Send blownz a Private Message Find more posts by blownz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Thaco
sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)

What I drive: Rage2
Posts/Day: 0.72
Trader Rating: (29)
User Rating: 90%

quote:

Just cancel the cc's to please the bank, after you get the funds released, call the cc company and have them re-open the account, most cc's will reopen the account no questions asked within 30 days

Old Post 04-13-2017 11:25 PM
Thaco is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Thaco Click here to Send Thaco a Private Message Find more posts by Thaco Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hero_X
Neutral

What I drive:

quote:

Thanks for sharing all the tips guys.

I'm definitely gonna check out the low interest CC, and contact bank for the personal loan.

Old Post 04-16-2017 08:47 AM
vengie
First Gear

What I drive: OM642
Posts/Day: 0.29
Trader Rating: (10)
User Rating: 93%

quote:

Shop around to a few banks as well.

I was in a similar spot in November, did some shopping and was able to get a consolidation loan through First Calgary.
That loan put me on track to have my debt completely clear by the end of this month!

Good luck man, with some discipline that debt will disappear quicker than you think.

Old Post 04-16-2017 09:21 AM
vengie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for vengie Click here to Send vengie a Private Message Find more posts by vengie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 02:08 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Real Estate / Finance > Debt consolidation help

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: