Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Home and Garden > Deck Stain

Author
Thread
colsankey
Neutral

What I drive: 2011 Ralliart SB
Posts/Day: 0.07
Trader Rating: (12)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

Whats the best way to strip a deck? Used Behr deckover last year and its already looking like garbage and peeling in places huge.

I assume i can sand it with a belt sander, but this decks older and in a few places had the odd screw head popping up i cant sink any lower because its stripped out.

Just giver anyways? Or is there a good belt oit there thay wont shred?

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-23-2017 03:15 AM
colsankey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for colsankey Click here to Send colsankey a Private Message Find more posts by colsankey Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

revelations
Third Gear

What I drive: 2g Eclipse / EP3
Posts/Day: 0.99
Trader Rating: (5)
User Rating: 98%

quote:

Drill out the heads maybe? Dont use a belt sander as it isnt soft and small enough to get into the areas where a pole mounted would get. A palm sander would be better.

Old Post 05-23-2017 04:28 AM
revelations is offline Click Here to See the Profile for revelations Click here to Send revelations a Private Message Find more posts by revelations Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
01RedDX
Third Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.58
Trader Rating: (22)

quote:

Did the first part yesterday, ran out of stain. FYI a 3.78L can is only good for about 200 sq ft, my deck is 400 sq ft.

But at least I have this comparison photo with the rain we just got. This is 10 yr old previously unstained wood and you can clearly see the stained part doing its job vs the unstained part:

click for larger version
» Click image for larger version

Not bad, but I hope it holds up for more than 1-2 seasons.

Old Post 05-28-2017 01:39 AM
01RedDX is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 01RedDX Click here to Send 01RedDX a Private Message Find more posts by 01RedDX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Seth1968
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.36
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

^ Oh shit, now those drops of water are going to act like convex lenses, burn the stain until it peels, and create a fire hazard!

Last edited by Seth1968 on 05-28-2017 at 02:48 AM

Old Post 05-28-2017 02:11 AM
Seth1968 is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Seth1968 Click here to Send Seth1968 a Private Message Find more posts by Seth1968 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
01RedDX
Third Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.58
Trader Rating: (22)

quote:

Originally posted by Seth1968
^ Oh shit, now those drops of water are going to act like convex lenses, burn the stain until it peels, and create a fire hazard!

Oh well, that's what insurance is for.

Old Post 05-28-2017 03:10 AM
01RedDX is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 01RedDX Click here to Send 01RedDX a Private Message Find more posts by 01RedDX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Seth1968
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.36
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

Originally posted by Seth1968
Well I tried out the dye on some scrap pieces of PT wood.

I mixed the dye to a bucket of water about the size of a large paint can, and used a small foam roller to apply it. It took 4 coats to get the color that closely matched the box, so if I were to use this method, I'd get a dye twice as dark as needed.

The finished pieces look great, and unlike stain which doesn't penetrate at all, the dye penetrated to a depth of about 1 mm. The penetration was the same regardless of the amount of coats.

One finished piece will remain in the shed, and the other on my deck to see how much the sun fades it.

Here it is 1 week later and my South facing test piece has now faded by about 50%

Old Post 05-28-2017 03:57 PM
Seth1968 is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Seth1968 Click here to Send Seth1968 a Private Message Find more posts by Seth1968 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 06:01 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Home and Garden > Deck Stain

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: