Quantcast
Deck Stain - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Deck Stain

My Ride
    85 toyota 1 ton, AE86, 04 Taco

Default Deck Stain

Read the olds posts thought i would start somthing new encase anyone knows of new products.

I have spent the last 3 weeks removing semi-transparent stain from my pressure treated deck. I have redo it 3 times in the last 5 years. I have had it so i want to start with a clean slate. Looking for your thoughts on what products you have had luck with that hold up in our winter months. I want to do it right this time and i am leaning to oil based products. Also been looking hard at the sikkens line.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

I am in the same boat. My stain lasted all of a year until it started getting scratched up by our dog and peeling in areas. Since I am selling the house, I just gave it a quick touchup but with our new house I'm not even going to put down any stain on the walking surfaces; only the risers and rim joists. Same with our front veranda.

Use this method to save time...I actually tried it and it works quite well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwaJcn5Q3kg

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

We just built out our deck to 4x the original size, and trying to debate what to stain/paint it with. Not sure I want to do this, the maintenance will be hell every couple of years. The wood is treated, and crazy enough the original 15 y/o part of the deck that we kept looks almost exactly the same as the new deck.

Is there a point in even staining/painting aside from looks? Unpainted wood doesn't even look bad at all to me.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    is faster than yours

Messmers is good, oil based/soaks in, not some crappy top coat product. So touch ups/refreshes are easy.

http://www.messmers.com/messmers-uv-plus-deck-stain

Cloverdale Paint locations throughout the city stock it.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I looked into this extensively - I was about to drop the ball on some marine grade, deck treatment for sail boats (also used in cold climates) .... but then I read about Cabot products from other users in various discussion group.

https://www.lowes.ca/exterior-stains..._g1346314.html

I would have chosen Australian Timber oil (slightly more pricey) but they didn't have a light enough colour me.

Essentially, you want the nastiest, most volatile stuff you can apply to wood. No cheap acrylic or some other "coating" garbage like Thompsons - you want something that will SOAK into the wood thoroughly and repel water.

I had an older deck (pressure treated) that I just flipped around the boards on, sanded the wood and CLEANED the wood with a proper wood chemical cleaner., and push brush.

Then I used the same hard plastic push-brush (no roller) and literally, shoved this Cabot stuff into the boards. It was absorbed really well. Repels 100% of water. Lasted through last winter just fine and looks great.
    Last edited by revelations; 05-15-2017 at 07:17 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by revelations
    Essentially, you want the nastiest, most volatile stuff you can apply to wood. No cheap acrylic or some other "coating" garbage like Thompsons - you want something that will SOAK into the wood thoroughly and repel water.
    There's a sale on creosote over at West Village.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride

LOL or tar ..... one house I know they put USED transmission oil on the cedar plank siding. Worked well for about 10 years that we lived there.

But seriously, poor prep-work is 1/2 of the problem, the other half is the product used.

My Ride
    '01 B15 Sentra & '10 C11X Versa 6Sp 5Dr

I applied the Thompson's stuff just under 2 years back. It looked terrible after a year. Going to restain front porch and back deck together this Spring. No idea what to get yet, but probably something grippier if that makes sense. The water repellent qualities were neat to look at in the Summer, but it was slippery as fuck in the Winter, especially on the stairs.
    Someday we may need to activate the halo structure off Deerfoot and destroy the North East.

I used Thompson's stain on my pressure treated deck, and some other stain I don't recall a year later. After the winter, both stains started peeling off.

In hindsight, I wish I would have spent more and gone with composite.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I was going to say, with all the hassle and effort and recurring expense you guys are having, composite is seeming like a better and better deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    I was going to say, with all the hassle and effort and recurring expense you guys are having, composite is seeming like a better and better deal.
    This. I thought my mother was crazy spending 4x more on composite... and now y'all make me understand why she's not

My Ride

BTW with the Cabot product, you could easily add some grit particles for more traction in the winter.

My Ride
    85 toyota 1 ton, AE86, 04 Taco

Originally posted by revelations
    BTW with the Cabot product, you could easily add some grit particles for more traction in the winter.
    I like this idea our front walk way is alos wood into the house and can get very slick in the winter.

Agreed if i had to do it over again i would not stain at all or use composite. the deck is far to new to just rip it up and start over i am going to give it one more try and if it dosent hold up i will just let it rot.

What really pisses me off, is that all that shit is advertised as Deck STAIN that PENETRATES into the wood, but it doesn't stain at all despite proper prep. After the first winter, it peels and flakes off like paint, and the exposed surface shows no indication of the so called stain penetration.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Some great deck stain;

I'm thinking of getting the rest of the stain off and going with this unique burnt look:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=blow+...w=1133&bih=503

I just thought of another kind of crazy ass idea

Ever used clothing dye? Well that stuff stains just about anything and a $1 makes a huge bucket full.

I've got some spare planks left so I'll try it out tomorrow.

My Ride

Originally posted by streetdreams

I like this idea our front walk way is alos wood into the house and can get very slick in the winter.

Agreed if i had to do it over again i would not stain at all or use composite. the deck is far to new to just rip it up and start over i am going to give it one more try and if it dosent hold up i will just let it rot.
    What product did you use?
    Did you sand and clean the deck prior to application? (or was it clean and sand, cant recall exactly)

As an owner of a composite deck, I do not recommend it for surfaces facing the sun. It becomes super heated and fades quickly. Additionally, if you clear the snow off of it using a shovel you may damage the surface which then ends up peeling away.
    Was the #1 Forum Warrior

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast