Quantcast
Developer decorative signs on lawns - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Developer decorative signs on lawns

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Default Developer decorative signs on lawns

So, this has been bugging me awhile. I have keep meaning to ask this question, but keep forgetting. I just remembered this, so here we go....

Developers put up these fancy community signs on the front lawns of people's properties, usually at the entrance to a neighborhood or what not, see the attached picture.

I was wondering, is there anything from stopping a person from dismantling the sign, or changing it, whatever? I know one neighbor of mine has modified his a bit, and I don't think he has gotten in trouble, but if it were on my property, I would want to take it down as fast as possible...

Thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Lease

Maybe there's a caveat regristered against the title for easement for the sign

My Ride
    G37X

Sledgehammer time! But jokes aside, Tomco is probably right. It's probably mixed in with the legalese purchase agreement. Once you've signed, it's your baby. Although.."accidents" can happen at night.

Curious as well. Do they discount the lot?

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

some of them can be pretty fucking obnoxious...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

I suppose if a gun was held to one's head forcing one to purchase such a home, then one could take issue with such things. But if one has purchased such a home by one's own free will knowing that there is probably an easement or such on said property, then one probably shouldn't be bitching about community signs or such on said property.

Really folks, it's not like those signs weren't obvious when someone considers such a property and usually such properties are not the most desirable properties in those communities.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by speedog
    I suppose if a gun was held to one's head forcing one to purchase such a home, then one could take issue with such things. But if one has purchased such a home by one's own free will knowing that there is probably an easement or such on said property, then one probably shouldn't be bitching about community signs or such on said property.

Really folks, it's not like those signs weren't obvious when someone considers such a property and usually such properties are not the most desirable properties in those communities.

WOOOOOSsssshhhh
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-07-2019 at 01:29 PM.

Start a home based business, insert sign over top.

I would think after the Architectural Covenant for the area expires then it would be free game.

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by mr2mike
    Start a home based business, insert sign over top.
    Are you allowed to advertise a home based business in all neighborhoods in Calgary? I thought it had to be zoned for that usage but I'll admit I don't know much about that..still a renter.

I would hope that the home owner would receive a strata fee discount for the advertising.

Originally posted by darthVWader
    I would think after the Architectural Covenant for the area expires then it would be free game.
    Does it expire though or is it rolled into the HOA rules/bylaws for that community?

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Default Re: Developer decorative signs on lawns

Originally posted by spikerS
    I was wondering, is there anything from stopping a person from dismantling the sign, or changing it, whatever? I know one neighbor of mine has modified his a bit, and I don't think he has gotten in trouble, but if it were on my property, I would want to take it down as fast as possible...

Thoughts?
    I asked Wife, (Real Estate Paralegal).. and she said this.. "The short answer is, you know it's there, there is probably some sort of easement right for it to be there, your lawyer probably told you about it, you "probably" are not suppose to modify it. Who would buy a house knowingly with a sign and then fight to remove it?"

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

It's also possible that this is not on "your" property, but on the city-owned land adjacent to your property. I know at my place, my property line is about ten feet back from the sidewalk.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Default Re: Re: Developer decorative signs on lawns

Originally posted by codetrap
    "Who would buy a house knowingly with a sign and then fight to remove it?"
    The same type of people who buy a house 2 blocks from a rail yard, then fight to remove it.

Personally, it would be hard for me to not spray paint "All dead here" on the sign. Especially this time of year.

My Ride
    Ford

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    It's also possible that this is not on "your" property, but on the city-owned land adjacent to your property. I know at my place, my property line is about ten feet back from the sidewalk.
    been a surveyor for 15 years now. they are always on the property of the home owner.
    i have planted many property posts in many new subdivisions. and these ugly things always land inside property. and can be giant and take up tons of space.
    for example this one is on the owners lot completly. also with the 3 foot wide stone fence. if he has a wood fence he would have 2+ feet extra room on his lot. all down that side.

Street Tune
    446HP 536TQ W/6# Lower, 3.5 upper 16* and 16psi

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

My thoughts are, I wouldn't want to buy a house with that on the property, but I would consider it if I could take it down say 2 years down the road.

This is just idle curiosity more than anything else.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Wife says you'd have to review what's on the title as to whether or not it was a permanent fixture on the property. My opinion is that it's unlikely you'd be able to removed it ever, kinda like those big green boxes, after all, the ones you've taken photos of are what, 23 years old?

Edit: Then again.. there is always that old axiom about forgiveness...
    Last edited by codetrap; 10-16-2014 at 12:41 PM.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

I'd buy that Seven Oaks one... Both the house and sign look great.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

Originally posted by spikerS
    some of them can be pretty fucking obnoxious...
    215 Coventry Hills Drive NE - on the corner of Harvest Hills Boulevard and Coventry Drive NE.. I'd say the location of this home is as much of a problem (if not more) as the community signage out front - located on corner of the intersection two busy roads, constant road noise will always be an issue.

But back to the original issue, does anyone know if homes like this have a caveat or easement or something similar registered against their title for such landscaping features. I know in Evergreen that some homes with such features near their property actually have a smaller lot and the section of land that the feature wall/landscaping is on is a city owned piece of property but who knows if this is the case in every situation.

Case in point, my 60x110 lot has two green ash and two lilacs located within 10 feet of the city sidewalk at the front of my property and even though I own the land up to the sidewalk, I can not trim or prune those trees/bushes because they are city owned trees/bushes. The trees I leave alone but the lilacs I always trim to keep them tidy - I do know that in the aftermath of this September snowfall event that I had neighbors who were warned by the city to not be trimming/pruning similar city owned trees and that they could be subject to a fine. Maybe the same goes for features such as can be found on this property in Coventry Hills - someone must know.