Quantcast
Dodge kills the Viper - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Dodge kills the Viper

My Ride
    G37X

I'll summarize it like this.

Convincing a woman that you want to buy a mustang = easy.

Convincing a woman that you want to buy a vette = hmm not so easy. It's noisy and
    too low to the ground.

Convincing someone without a penis that you want to buy a viper = lol good luck, hello divorce proceedings. Let's face it, the dodge viper is a hot wheels toy for men. And I wouldn't want it any other way.

And let's not pretend for a second that the woman in your life has no sway over your vehicle choice.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 06:23 PM.

My Ride
    1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

The styling hasn't really changed much since 1994 when it was released. Imagine what the sales for the Corvette would be if it still looked like a 94'.
    The styling didn't change much because it was already a good looking car. Viper >>>> corvette. The corvette has never really appealed to me.

It's too bad it was discontinued. I'm surprised the new Viper didn't sell better, I thought it looked fantastic and it seemed to be great performance wise too. I hope it'll come back soon!

+1 on there needs to be competition for the Jeep. *cough* Bronco...

1994 Mustang - SBF swap in progress

My Ride
    Trucks

Originally posted by Hallowed_point

Convincing a woman that you want to buy a vette = hmm not so easy. It's noisy and
    too low to the ground.

Convincing someone without a penis that you want to buy a viper = lol good luck, hello divorce proceedings. Let's face it, the dodge viper is a hot wheels toy for men. And I wouldn't want it any other way.

And let's not pretend for a second that the woman in your life has no sway over your vehicle choice.
    Why choose a woman that doesn't have the same taste in vehicles? That would be a terrible compromise.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 06:23 PM.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    ^^ I buy what I want, my only limitation is I am cheap

Yeah, I tend to agree. I can't see them permanently getting rid of it, the brand still has royalty value through toys and licencing... in a few years they will decide they need something to compete against the other domestics supercars they will restart the program. Probably with radical changes like AWD and a more modern design.

That said, I keep waiting for GM to resurrect Hummer and bring out something to complete with the Jeep Wrangler. Still waiting...
    Viper has a really strong brand for sure, loyalists. They have to bring it back in a bit, would just make sense like how Toyota is rumored to be bringing back the Supra. And like you say, with Ford's GT and Chevy's Vette.....how can you not?

I'm waiting for the rebirth of the MR2, Celica, and Prelude now
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

I'm sure they'll just stuff the S/C V8 from the Hellcat in there.

My Ride
    something green

Your reality isn't my reality.
    Too loud for Aspen

too low to the ground.

Originally posted by Maxt

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

too low to the ground.

Hahah.

I mean no offence at all, but did your mom run the show as you grew up?
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride

The Viper was pretty amazing looking in the 90's, it didn't look like anything else at the time. Then the Viper styling took a dump in 2003. The new ones look okay, but they just don't have the wow factor they had in the 90's. Added that they're not great daily drivers, and the corvette has gotten much better in comparison, it's not that surprising. Viper will probably need to move downmarket to survive in the future. Cheaper, V8, better road manners. Priced more competitively with the Corvette, etc

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

too low to the ground.

Originally posted by Maxt

This.

As long as there's enough money left over for vacations, shoes & purses, she doesn't care in the least what I buy for a toy.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    G37X

^You guys are no fun, it was meant to be tongue in cheek.

Vipers are the quintessential 90's outrageous sports car to me. The problem is that they just don't fit into the modern world. Even though the latest version is probably the "best" one. I agree that the 2003 styling was a flop. As affordable as first gen vipers are becoming, I can't see myself ever buying one. Not a fan of the V10 exhaust note. And it's just too much of a compromise compared to a Corvette, GTO, G8 GT etc. It's just that cool car that you drooled over as a teenager that makes no sense.
    Last edited by Hallowed_point; 06-23-2016 at 09:34 AM.

My Ride
    G37X

Sigh, it's still a shame even if it was inevitable. What I would give for a lap on Stoney in this.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

While I agree with all of you, Hallowed Point is not talking about CAR GUYS on a CAR FORUM.

You bet your ass it is important and/or a requirement for the woman of a household in a lot of situations to like the $80k toy of a car that is in the driveway. A Viper is not something that many would tolerate.

As to the actual discussion at hand, stupid move by Dodge. The viper has extremely low development costs as it doesn't change much, Dodge (IMO) could easily drop the price, the thing is a masterpiece of parts bin engineering (the v10 was originally built off the truck v10).

I'd love to own a Viper, they turn WAY more heads than the mandatory "oil money" lambo douche does. And make no mistake, the latest ones are friggin' weapons. They do sound like complete ass though, which is funny because there isn't much stopping them from dropping the Hemi in it, likely leading to further costs savings and no loss of power.

My Ride
    Trucks

The 5.7/6.x Hemi engines are taller and substantially wider than the v10. No way that will fit without a complete new platform.

My Ride
    2015 honda crv 2015 subaru sti sport

Sigh, it's still a shame even if it was inevitable. What I would give for a lap on Stoney in this.
    Looks amazing!!!!
    I love the new Vipers

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by Darell_n
    The 5.7/6.x Hemi engines are taller and substantially wider than the v10. No way that will fit without a complete new platform.
    Overall dimensions of the Viper engine are: top to bottom - 26", front to rear - 34-1/2", width across the valve covers - 23".

Hemi
    * 28" long from back to front of water pump
    * 24" wide at widest point of valve covers
    * 34" high from stock oil pan to stock manifold

I don't think the width would be a problem. Additionally, these were measurements for the truck motor. I'm sure a properly designed lo-pro intake (like they do with LSX motors in the camaro and corvette) and oil pan could easily chop a couple inches off. Cowl induction type hood, BAM, hemi in a viper.

It could be done is all I'm saying.

My Ride
    Trucks

A Cummins could fit in a Viper too. The car is dead, RIP.

My Ride
    Edge Sport, F-150 EcoBoost

I have loved the Viper since I was in junior high and the original 1992 Viper RT/10 came out. It has sentimental appeal....and there's something I always like about it being an unrefined horsepower machine.

I'd rather see it die as it is before getting watered down with an eco option.

Let the beast die with dignity, don't force it to prance around in a dress to adapt to the new paradigm.
    freshprince
    -Jan 2006-

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast