Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Travel and Vacation > Driving in Europe, do I need International Driving Permit?

Author
Thread
taemo
Second Gear

What I drive: rally pig
Posts/Day: 0.77
Trader Rating: (17)
User Rating: 100%

Driving in Europe, do I need International Driving Permit? quote:

We'll be heading to Europe in May and I'm planning to drive in Italy and Croatia.

Can anyone confirm whether an IDP is required or recommended to rent and drive a vehicle there?

From what my dad told me, he just rented a car when they went to Italy a few years ago and he no longer owns an IDP.

I called AMA and they said that in Croatia, it is recommended to have one but not required.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-22-2017 05:01 PM
taemo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for taemo Click here to Send taemo a Private Message Find more posts by taemo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

Rarasaurus
Neutral

What I drive: Treg/B7
Posts/Day: 0.04
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

When I travelled in 2016 they never requested it. They just wanted credit card and Canadian drivers licence. Kind of weird because the rental agreement said I needed one so got it just in case. I think for the $30 its better safe than sorry.

Old Post 03-22-2017 05:09 PM
Rarasaurus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rarasaurus Click here to Send Rarasaurus a Private Message Find more posts by Rarasaurus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
taemo
Second Gear

quote:

Originally posted by Rarasaurus
When I travelled in 2016 they never requested it. They just wanted credit card and Canadian drivers licence. Kind of weird because the rental agreement said I needed one so got it just in case. I think for the $30 its better safe than sorry.

which country did you go to?
I might apply one for piece of mind

Old Post 03-22-2017 05:10 PM
taemo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for taemo Click here to Send taemo a Private Message Find more posts by taemo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rarasaurus
Neutral

quote:

France and Germany, to me its mostly a money grab as it is just a booklet with translations into like 12 languages. Most younger people in Europe speak English. My worry was more trouble from police if pulled over.

Last edited by Rarasaurus on 03-22-2017 at 05:16 PM

Old Post 03-22-2017 05:13 PM
Rarasaurus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rarasaurus Click here to Send Rarasaurus a Private Message Find more posts by Rarasaurus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
taemo
Second Gear

quote:

Originally posted by Rarasaurus
France and Germany, to me its mostly a money grab as it is just a booklet with translations into like 12 languages. Most younger people in Europe speak English. My worry was more trouble from police if pulled over.

yeah that's the risk I'm more concerned about, if you get pulled over and the cops doesn't believe that your driver license is not legit, then you might get in trouble

Old Post 03-22-2017 05:18 PM
Mitsu3000gt
E-Gear Paddle Shifter

What I drive: 2017 Civic Hatch ST
Posts/Day: 1.80
Trader Rating: (28)
User Rating: 93%

quote:

We got one for Italy, but didn't end up ever needing it nor were we ever asked for it. It's only like $15 or so to get, I would get it just in case.

Old Post 03-22-2017 05:20 PM
Mitsu3000gt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mitsu3000gt Click here to Send Mitsu3000gt a Private Message Find more posts by Mitsu3000gt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cycosis
Second Gear

What I drive: 2008 Mercedes Benz C230, 1968 Chevy Impala
Posts/Day: 0.35
Trader Rating: (3)

quote:

Rented many a time and never had an issue with my CAD license. Had a few tickets too :P Tickets were in Germany, Austria. Drove many km through Germany, Austria, Czech Republic, Italy, France, Netherlands.

1968 Impala: Status: Stored for restoration
1977 Dodge Triple E RV: Status: Sold
1989 Mercedes Benz 420 SEL: Status: Sold
2008 Mercedes Benz C230: Status: Crusing
2000 Bluebird TC2000: Deconstruction phase of skoolie build

Old Post 03-22-2017 05:37 PM
cycosis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cycosis Click here to Send cycosis a Private Message Find more posts by cycosis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
grampafunk

What I drive: g2 teg
Posts/Day: 0.01
User Rating: 98%

quote:

from the research I did - they will rarely ask for one - unless you have a problem / accident. then you can get into hot water.

I just got one myself. was easier for piece of mind.

Old Post 03-22-2017 10:08 PM
grampafunk is offline Click Here to See the Profile for grampafunk Click here to Send grampafunk a Private Message Find more posts by grampafunk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LadyLuck

What I drive: 15 Civic Si
Posts/Day: 0.12
Trader Rating: (16)

quote:

Driven through Germany, Austria, Slovenia, Croatia and Bosnia for the last few years, always had one with me and only needed it once when I got pulled over in Croatia. I would get one just to be safe, 25.00 is nothing compared to the headache you could encounter not having one. Safe travels!

What kind of birdhouse can you build with popsicles, roofies, and a rubber mallet?
"It's for a rare African bird called "none your business."

Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
If you were straight I'd eat you like a BLT sandwich with extra Bacon. And I fucking LOVE bacon.

Old Post 03-22-2017 11:21 PM
LadyLuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for LadyLuck Click here to Send LadyLuck a Private Message Find more posts by LadyLuck Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Xtrema
Sixth Gear

What I drive: 2016 MB C450
Posts/Day: 1.54
Trader Rating: (4)
User Rating: 95%

quote:

CAD license is fine.

Don't trust your GPS tho, may be Google maps is better. Garmin sent me to fucking pedestrian only streets in Prague in old town, it wasn't fun.

Old Post 03-23-2017 03:12 AM
Xtrema is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Xtrema Click here to Send Xtrema a Private Message Find more posts by Xtrema Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kobe
Second Gear

What I drive: Eclipse
Posts/Day: 0.34
Trader Rating: (28)
User Rating: 97%

quote:

YES

The rental companies wont say you do but if you get in an accident without it your pretty screwed.. Trust me..

Was Driving in Poland and got in an accident.... (not my fault) - The police never asked for me international drivers license but then 2-3 weeks later insurance called and said they won't cover the damages because I don't have an international drivers License..

I got super lucky and actually had one and sent it to them..

Got a speeding ticket in Croatia driving from Dubrovnik to Split and the Police officer asked for my international drivers license, but when I got a ticket in Poland they had no idea about it..

Costs about $22 at AMA and it's valid for 1 year, (you can't renew while in Europe and it starts the day you go you cant ask for it from the date of your trip)

I always thought it was a scam too but for $22 I decided to just buy it since I knew I was going to be driving around Europe a lot.

With that said always remember to get the toll passes (They are like 10-15EUR) for a week cause there is some pretty big fines or you can be towed if you do not have one...

I've drove from Poland to Montenegro and a few other countries in Europe around there as well not on the way.

Get it just in case you get in an accident, you can rent a car/get a ticket or whatever without it and you will be fine though.

Also carry some cash on you while driving in case you get a ticket or the Police will make you go to a bank to pay the fine..

EDIT: Also got a ticket in Warsaw becuase of my GPS where it told me to turn left and Police were just waiting (Guess no left turn) I ended up having to translate my CAD license to the cop so he would write up my ticket for me.. Lucky I spoke English and Polish but should of pretended I didn't speak it..

Originally posted by beemerm3
so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

Last edited by Kobe on 03-23-2017 at 08:47 AM

Old Post 03-23-2017 08:44 AM
Kobe is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kobe Click here to Send Kobe a Private Message Find more posts by Kobe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jwslam
Second Gear

What I drive: is easy to spot
Posts/Day: 0.43
Trader Rating: (61)
User Rating: 96%

quote:

Originally posted by Xtrema
CAD license is fine.

Don't trust your GPS tho, may be Google maps is better. Garmin sent me to fucking pedestrian only streets in Prague in old town, it wasn't fun.

I know nothing about driving in Europe but the rental car agency in Taiwan asked for my International Driving Permit.

On this topic of GPS, I would rent a local GPS unit over using google maps. In Taiwan, many of the lanes going through intersections did not line up straight, and google maps continuously told me to change lanes when not necessary. Also the rental GPS unit told me where all the fixed speed cameras were

Old Post 03-23-2017 04:11 PM
jwslam is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jwslam Click here to Send jwslam a Private Message Find more posts by jwslam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
taemo
Second Gear

quote:

sounds like the consensus is CAD driver license in Europe is more than enough, I might just get the IDP for peace of mind for only $35 (permit and passport photo)

I'll be driving only from Split to Plitvice, Naples to Pompeii and Sorrento and Milan to Como.
Thinking of just using Google Maps as these are relatively short drives but otherwise I might preload my Garmin GPS with Europe map.

Old Post 03-23-2017 05:28 PM
Rarasaurus
Neutral

quote:

I used an app called NavFree. It is easy, worked and lets you download maps so no data use.

Old Post 03-23-2017 05:33 PM
Feruk

What I drive: G6
Posts/Day: 0.01
Trader Rating: (2)

quote:

Originally posted by Xtrema

You know there are road signs, right? You sound like the kinda guy that would drive into a lake.

We use Google maps every time we travel in Europe and have rarely had an issue.

Old Post 03-23-2017 08:20 PM
Feruk is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Feruk Click here to Send Feruk a Private Message Find more posts by Feruk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 03:48 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Travel and Vacation > Driving in Europe, do I need International Driving Permit?

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: