Quantcast
Driving/Racing Schools - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Driving/Racing Schools

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Default Driving/Racing Schools

Have been quite interested in improving my driving skills but I'm a little lost on where to start. I'm looking at schools all over the world, list your favorites and comments.

Cheers.

EDIT: Something like this, just to give an idea. http://www.jimrussell.com/en/schedules.cfm

Not sure if there are really school reviews or if I'd need ot just get in and do it.
    Last edited by msommers; 03-17-2012 at 11:32 PM.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

Did you ever attend a track day at race city while it was around?

I'm ashamed to have only attended one racing session and let me tell you, this is a great tool to learn driving skills. They had instructors on hand to drive with you and give you pointers. So sad.

You could build a cheap autocross car and join the autox club and get out and race. This is probably the cheapest option to get seat time and get the basics down.
    This is my plan this summer, get out to as many autox events as possible.
    Last edited by Modelexis; 03-17-2012 at 11:44 PM.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Auto X is great, and everyone is really helpful and will even go for ride alongs and let you ride along too.

My Ride
    Honda S2000

If you want formal instruction (autox), you can sign up for the SoloPro school being held this June at Fort Macleod:

http://cscc.speedracer.ca/forums/index.php?topic=11083
    The best part of life isn't around the corner. It IS the corner.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

How much would a track pig set me back though? Not terribly keen on buying another vehicle, was hoping to have vehicles provided.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

If you have the cash, the AMG driving academy is awesome. They provide the cars.

There's a program right now to drive a SLS, C63BS, C63 or SLK55 on the nordschleife for 3 days. On the 4th day you drive a SLS GT3 racecar on the grand prix circuit. Hotels and transportation provided. You just show up.

There's also cheaper programs that focus on snow/ice with their 4matic cars, and other track programs with other AMGs. Instructors are ex DTM racers.

Prices range from 3k to the 15k Nurburgring experience.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Smells like its about to start on fire

They have lots in the states that I highly recommend you go to seeing as they fit your requirements of both teaching you and proving you with vehicles to use... some cases with an almost unlimited supply of vehicles to use in case something happens to one (Tire wear, overheating, etc).

http://www.springmountainmotorsports.com/ ---> Corvettes (C6, C6Z06, GrandSports).

http://www.bondurant.com/ (same as spring mountain but MOAR!)--->There is a good possibility that you can go for a spin around a racetrack with Bob in a GT40 or some 1960's race car . Or he chases you around the track in a ZR1.

http://www.millermotorsportspark.com/ ---> Mustangs, Usually GT's I think. As well as FR500S's

All schools have different experience levels and most operate off of a graduated system. You can't take a, say, level2 course without a level 1. They also have lapping sessions, and you can come back as much as you like for advanced lapping sessions (usually 1/2 day of instruction or so and then driving).

All the stuff you learn, while it appears very race-ish, is usable on the streets as well: Vision, over-steer, under-steer, etc.

Of course there are the local schools but without race city... you get the idea.
    Last edited by SideSwipe; 03-18-2012 at 10:45 PM.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-09-2019 at 02:55 PM.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Rage2 and SideSwip, do either of you have experience with the schools you each mentioned?

I was planning on the trip last year actually with my Infiniti however I went to Europe instead and have since sold that vehicle. I don't have the space or desire right now to maintain an extra vehicle, which I have a feeling would end up being a giant money sink (because I can't help modding..ha).

I'm also looking at the Allen Berg 3-day formula racing course. Has anyone used this school before?
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    1998 BMW 328i

Originally posted by rage2
    If you have the cash, the AMG driving academy is awesome. They provide the cars.

There's a program right now to drive a SLS, C63BS, C63 or SLK55 on the nordschleife for 3 days. On the 4th day you drive a SLS GT3 racecar on the grand prix circuit. Hotels and transportation provided. You just show up.

There's also cheaper programs that focus on snow/ice with their 4matic cars, and other track programs with other AMGs. Instructors are ex DTM racers.

Prices range from 3k to the 15k Nurburgring experience.
    You should sponsor a Beyond Member to attend with you!

Being as it was my suggestion, can i go first???
    Koenigsegg, what started as a dream just blew your doors off.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I don't have personal experience with the AMG academy, will probably do my first one this year or next year now that Race City is gone. From the people I've talked to that have done it, it's better than the Porsche Driving schools.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Originally posted by Murray Peterson
    If you want formal instruction (autox), you can sign up for the SoloPro school being held this June at Fort Macleod:

http://cscc.speedracer.ca/forums/index.php?topic=11083
    Originally posted by Sugarphreak

This!

Probably one of the best schools (if not the very best) you can take locally. The Solo Pro instructors come in from the US, all have multiple championships under their belts and bring a ridiculous amount of experience to the table. I'd highly recommended it if you are serious about learning how to drive competitively.

Awesome, awesome schools and for $300/school you can't go wrong. Did the intro school last year and I think I'm going to do the comp school this year.

Also the Winter/Ice Driver Training Schools put on my the SASC are quite good and the schools are super cheap ($50).

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I think the OP is looking for schools where cars are provided.

My Ride
    Smells like its about to start on fire

Originally posted by msommers
    Rage2 and SideSwip, do either of you have experience with the schools you each mentioned?
    . . .
    I'm also looking at the Allen Berg 3-day formula racing course. Has anyone used this school before?
    I do. I've been to bondurant a few time, and people that I've met that both frequently visits bobs place and race in some series usually recommend stopping by spring mountain and Miller. Bobs place is a good place to start. You probably won't be able to leave after... Hahaha. They have a formula Mazda lappig session as well... I think it's part of the 3 day grand prix course (check it out on the website I provided... It's good.)

Allen berg is also very good. He taught me how to drive karts... Which is very fun and teaches you lots of the fundamentals. Berg is also a good place to start... But no race city unless he moved to a track down south(?)

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

This might sound obvious and maybe I'm missing something, but if you have no interest in doing any regular racing why do you want to go to a racing school?

You don't need a race car for autox, a stock econo box will work just fine.

I would recommend coming out to an event, check it out and try to get into the passenger seat for a ride along.
    Last edited by Modelexis; 03-19-2012 at 11:22 AM.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Appreciate the responses.

As for your question, Modelexis, if racing is something that I'm seriously looking into then yes I may buy a vehicle that will strictly be a track pig. My perspective is that to get a really good feel of what I'd like to eventually get into (formula), then it makes the most sense to try that first rather than buy a miata and auto-x. Hope that helps clear some confusion.

Matt
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by msommers
    Appreciate the responses.

As for your question, Modelexis, if racing is something that I'm seriously looking into then yes I may buy a vehicle that will strictly be a track pig. My perspective is that to get a really good feel of what I'd like to eventually get into (formula), then it makes the most sense to try that first rather than buy a miata and auto-x. Hope that helps clear some confusion.

Matt
    If you want to get into any of the Formula style cars, then go to a formula style school. Allen Berg would have been perfect for you, if Race City was still around. Of course, he isn't simply limited to Calgary, so you can still go.

If you've never been, a lapping day is a great way to get a feel for racing. Stratotech in Fort Sask. still runs Time Attacks and lapping days, but in all honesty, nothing will prepare you for wheel to wheel racing quite like doing it. I would suggest a school, and then RENT your choice of formula-style car for a race weekend. Not cheap, but cheaper than going all in and buying. Also, having all of the logistics of a first race covered for you is bliss.

My 2 cents. Out of anyone who has posted in this thread, how many of you have actual racing experience? Murray auto-x's a ton, I know that. I've done road racing, rally, and time attack fairly competitively, and going to many of the "schools" mentioned isn't what you are looking for if you want to do actual wheel to wheel racing.

You should look at making a post on the CSCC's website (cscc.speedracer.ca) as there would be more help there. And not to slag on auto-x, but if you aren't planning on auto-x'ing, I'd skip it. EVERY LITTLE BIT HELPS, but I would not "just" do the auto-x school and think you even have the jist of what it's like to be on track with 30 other cars!

Edit-
    Not that you need to be reminded of the last bit, you obviously know this, but just to reiterate!

My Ride
    S14|TB1

i was thinking of trying allen berg kart school this upcoming june, i see the van near my house everyday and decided to visit the website, ~$400 to take a 1 day course. it's not a car but 0-60 in 5 and up to 2Gs cornering, seems pretty interesting

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by HiTempguy1
    My 2 cents. Out of anyone who has posted in this thread, how many of you have actual racing experience? Murray auto-x's a ton, I know that. I've done road racing, rally, and time attack fairly competitively, and going to many of the "schools" mentioned isn't what you are looking for if you want to do actual wheel to wheel racing.
    I didn't get a mention? I used to be the biggest auto-x and lapping whore. At one point, I was competing or lapping 4x a week and blowing through 2 sets of tires a month haha.

Wish I got into road racing though, never had a chance to do any real wheel to wheel racing, except for karting.

And not to slag on auto-x, but if you aren't planning on auto-x'ing, I'd skip it. EVERY LITTLE BIT HELPS, but I would not "just" do the auto-x school and think you even have the jist of what it's like to be on track with 30 other cars!
    I agree. Also, if you're looking for track time, AutoX isn't really worth it. It'll take you forever to get enough experience to be competitive. I learned how to drive from real street racing in my early teens, and tons of laps in different cars at lapping days later on. You have 4 runs to nail a perfect lap on a course you have never driven on, that's what makes AutoX fun. 4 mins of track time per event doesn't teach you much.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I would suggest a school, and then RENT your choice of formula-style car for a race weekend. Not cheap, but cheaper than going all in and buying. Also, having all of the logistics of a first race covered for you is bliss.
    Do you have more information this? Sounds exactly what I'm after.

Allen Berg still has a school in California and there is another formula school not far from Montreal - prices are very close. The Bondurant Grand Prix 3-4 day course mixes it up a bit between which I like as well.

Again, appreciate the feedback.
    Ultracrepidarian

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast