Quantcast
Experiences with nutritionists? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Experiences with nutritionists?

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Default Experiences with nutritionists?

What have been people's experiences with using a nutritionist to eat better, develop a meal plan and lose some weight. Was looking to do all three of those things and was hoping that someone on here would have some advice or recommendations.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Default Re: Experiences with nutritionists?

Originally posted by FraserB
    What have been people's experiences with using a nutritionist to eat better, develop a meal plan and lose some weight. Was looking to do all three of those things and was hoping that someone on here would have some advice or recommendations.
    I think it depends on why you're looking for one.

Do you want a nutritionist because you don't understand nutrition at all and need guidance, or do you want a nutritionist because without paying for one you won't stick to a meal plan?

If it's the former, save your money as there are numerous sources online (and even here on beyond) that can teach you the fundamentals of nutrition. If its the latter, I can't help you there

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Basically want to get a meal plan set up that's healthy, cuts a lot of calories from my diet and isn't boring and will cause me to quit. Going to have some time off from work here soon, want to drop 30lbs by Jan 1 (3 months).

I've been eating better lately, but I know I can do more.
    Last edited by FraserB; 09-25-2016 at 10:26 AM.

I'm currently doing whole30 for the second time with my girlfriend. Real easy to do, no calorie counting, or food weighing or portioning. The main idea is no added sugar (I just learned that it's in so much food) no booze at all, no dairy, no legumes, no wheat,for 30 days. It's worth a google. I still get to eat my eggs and proscuitto and avocado for brekky every morning. Good luck

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Default Re: Experiences with nutritionists?

How much weight do you think you honestly have to lose?

30lbs is a nice goal, and totally achievable in your time frame.

Do you currently workout out? Play any sports?
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Default Re: Re: Experiences with nutritionists?

Originally posted by Darkane

How much weight do you think you honestly have to lose?

30lbs is a nice goal, and totally achievable in your time frame.

Do you currently workout out? Play any sports?
    Honestly, the 30lbs is a starting point for me. I'd want to get that down and then drop another 20. I've started eating better as of late; over easy egg and some whites for breakfast, soup with small whole wheat roll for lunch type stuff.

Currently working in camp, but assignment is finishing in a month and I'm owed a ton of vacation. So I figured that all I would do with my time off is do this.

I did read through the RFL thread from 2011/2012 and the results from guys like A790 seem pretty good.

My Ride

Default Re: Re: Re: Experiences with nutritionists?

Honestly, the 30lbs is a starting point for me. I'd want to get that down and then drop another 20. I've started eating better as of late; over easy egg and some whites for breakfast, soup with small whole wheat roll for lunch type stuff.

Currently working in camp, but assignment is finishing in a month and I'm owed a ton of vacation. So I figured that all I would do with my time off is do this.

I did read through the RFL thread from 2011/2012 and the results from guys like A790 seem pretty good.
    RFL is hard to do, but if you're on time off its easier. I probably wouldn't recommend that though.

If you have more than 50 to lose, check out Ideal Protein. It's something that DOES work (two people I know lost a lot of weight). I've also run it myself but my results weren't as good as the others I know because I had much less to lose. The consultants even asked me why I was there, I said I was curious how well it would work for me. I went from 17% BF to around 11% at 200lbs or so. I did lose muscle also as they don't recommend to train at the same time.

Anyway that was an experiment, I'm now back to a more regular (although tweaked for building muscle) diet. I'm currently being coached by Scott Abel.

I don't think you require a coach just yet, but Ideal Protein will structure your meals. Caveat: they do sell you some of your food to eat (of course). It costs about 100-120/wk and does replace meals so in the end it doesn't cost much more than grocery shopping.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride

I don't think I'd do RFL again. At this point it's so easy for me to lose 1lb a week or so just by basic calorie restriction. Even if I had a lot of fat to lose, RFL is still difficult to stick to. Plus, it's not long-term sustainable; the weight you lost from RFL will just get put right back on if you don't change your eating habits.

Google:

+ Calculate your TDEE.
    + Low carb diet
    + Low sugar diet

Focus on eating lower carb 3 days of the week, never exceed your TDEE. This will lean you out.

I only eat carbs on days I workout (4 days per week). I'm able to maintain a lean 190 with not a lot of work/difficulty.

My Ride
    Has wheels

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Experiences with nutritionists?

Originally posted by Darkane

RFL is hard to do, but if you're on time off its easier. I probably wouldn't recommend that though.

If you have more than 50 to lose, check out Ideal Protein. It's something that DOES work (two people I know lost a lot of weight). I've also run it myself but my results weren't as good as the others I know because I had much less to lose. The consultants even asked me why I was there, I said I was curious how well it would work for me. I went from 17% BF to around 11% at 200lbs or so. I did lose muscle also as they don't recommend to train at the same time.

Anyway that was an experiment, I'm now back to a more regular (although tweaked for building muscle) diet. I'm currently being coached by Scott Abel.

I don't think you require a coach just yet, but Ideal Protein will structure your meals. Caveat: they do sell you some of your food to eat (of course). It costs about 100-120/wk and does replace meals so in the end it doesn't cost much more than grocery shopping.
    If my memory serves me right, you do shift work and work out of town as well. How did you find doing the ideal protein with that in mind? Is there lots of stuff to pack with you?

My Ride

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Experiences with nutritionists?

Originally posted by bruceod

If my memory serves me right, you do shift work and work out of town as well. How did you find doing the ideal protein with that in mind? Is there lots of stuff to pack with you?
    There isn't too much, but it was a whole additional carry-on of packaged foods.

It was also challenging eating in camp while on it as the last meal of the day is a big protein serving with veggies. Once in a while it was hard to get lean meats and veg that wasn't drowned in butter or sauce. I adhered to a 90-95% during camp meals.

Again I'd only recommend ideal protein to beginners who aren't working out currently. After the diet run is done, transitioning to a healthy eating plan + gym work/activity will keep most of not all of it off.

Immediate goals after would be to build some muscle and GAIN some weight. Sort of a mind game lol.

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    Has wheels

Darkane:

I already bring up quite a bit of food with me to work. Basically all of my break time food. So I wouldn't really enjoy the idea of taking more.

I also wouldn't consider myself a beginner, not in the gym anyway. Very much a beginner when it comes to diet. I'd likely see good changes if I could stick to eating relatively clean.

I destroy myself during days off

I got myself back up around 245-250lbs. Granted I'm about 6'4 so I carry the extra weight well but I have lots of fat I could lose. It would be nice to be lean for once in my life.

Probably be better to look at what A790 has been doing.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Originally posted by Dumbass17
    I'm currently doing whole30 for the second time with my girlfriend. Real easy to do, no calorie counting, or food weighing or portioning. The main idea is no added sugar (I just learned that it's in so much food) no booze at all, no dairy, no legumes, no wheat,for 30 days. It's worth a google. I still get to eat my eggs and proscuitto and avocado for brekky every morning. Good luck
    Whole30 is pretty bang on when you want to lose some weight and feel good again. I've never felt as fit or as strong as I have on day 30. I suspect if you're a little heavy to start, you'll easily lose 5-10lbs in a month, and it does make you think about for food for the future

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

Ideal protein is fantastic if you don't want to work out, I worked out of town and did it, just carried a small duffle bag with about 3 weeks worth of food

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Definitely going to look at Ideal Protein, thanks for the suggestion. Going to pick up a gym membership as well when I'm done up here

My Ride
    KTM

Check out Fit Metabolism- family members have used this with great success.

Not about a crash diet, it helps support a complete lifestyle change. Its not cheap to start but once the foundation is set its sustainable.

Of all the people I know who have had to make a lifestyle change to get into a healthy shape this is the only one that I have actually seen work.

I think they do consults, I would check them out at least!

My Ride

Originally posted by craigcd
    Check out Fit Metabolism- family members have used this with great success.

Not about a crash diet, it helps support a complete lifestyle change. Its not cheap to start but once the foundation is set its sustainable.

Of all the people I know who have had to make a lifestyle change to get into a healthy shape this is the only one that I have actually seen work.

I think they do consults, I would check them out at least!
    I worked with them from a marketing POV. Definitely a solid group of people there that know their stuff.

My Ride
    UCF20/R35

I currently follow flexible dieting, after a messy bulk I was able to trim 30lbs in roughly 4 months or so, but that also included a lot of physical activity

Originally posted by rage2
    Can someone who speaks brown please translate this for me please?

Definitely going to look at Ideal Protein, thanks for the suggestion. Going to pick up a gym membership as well when I'm done up here
    Which gym were you thinking of joining?

My Ride
    KTM

Originally posted by A790

I worked with them from a marketing POV. Definitely a solid group of people there that know their stuff.
    Yep- our recommendation got Kevin involved with them I think (on a fitness level not work).

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Not really down the same path as some of you guys, but I have had good success simply tracking my calorie intake and output.
    Wearing my Fitbit plus "my fitness pal" app has worked well for me. I'm a little more active than I was, and I eat a little less, and I have been loosing weight slowly and steadily for five months now.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast