Quantcast
Fatal crash on Glenmore... - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Fatal crash on Glenmore...

My Ride
    Silvia "Island Style"

Condolences to the fam....RIP
    Hard work never hurt anyone...but why take the chance?

No name has been released yet.

Yikes.. that Civic never stood a chance.

RIP

My Ride
    GD + GR WRB

Originally posted by luxor

100% cause by human error? Okay buddy!

When a tire blows out from you car and you lose control and crash, that's human error and was 100% preventable right?
    If your tires are in good condition and inflated properly this will not happen. If one or more of my tires reach the wearbar I will replace them. Blowouts do not magically happen in this day and age.

What if your car had mechanical failures, for example to a steering component and you lose control and crash. Even though you kept up with your scheduled maintenance would that still be your own fault cause it was "100%" human error? I'd like see you to go to your insurance and tell them not cover for your damages cause you took full responsibility for the crash-since you are such a stand up guy.
    If you keep up with scheduled maintenance this will not happen.

What about medical reason like seizures. I can't count with all my fingers how many times accidents occur due to medical reasons in the past few years. We all know medical conditions like seizures are 100% preventable and if it happens it is 100% the person's fault right?
    A person who suffers major siezures will have his or her licence revoked. in the case of someone slipping thru the cracks, if you have good siuational awareness you will be able to see this situation unfolding.

Hey that's just my opinion though. I don't believe all collisions are 100% preventable and they certainly aren't 100% caused by human error. I do believe in defensive driving and doing all possible to prevent other vehicles from hitting me. The reason why I drive defensively is because I know that there is a chance that an accident can occur beyond anyone's control.
    This is the key to never having an accident. Drive defensively. Be aware that everyone could crash at any time.. leave holes when collisions are preventable. look left, center, and right when approaching an intersection. Leave room between you and the people around you. When stopped at a light, leave room between the car in front and yourself in case someone behind you doesn't stop in time.

In 20 years of driving I have never had an 'accident'.
    Bought not built!

Originally posted by kevie88
    In 20 years of driving I have never had an 'accident'.
    Someone give this man a cookie!!

My Ride
    GD + GR WRB

Originally posted by blink1

Someone give this man a cookie!!
    I like chocolate chip!
    Bought not built!

My Ride
    V8s

Although I agree driving is dangerous, in fact more dangerous than some might think or like to have in the back of their mind.

What I don't agree with is that "every collision is preventable." You can think that all you want to make yourself feel better but that statement is not true. Case being on a undivided highway, around a blind corner, someone is driving on your side of the lane (illegally) and you don't see this vehicle until it is 2 meters in front of you (as you turn the corner). With the given highway speed that both of you are traveling, a head on collision is going to happen. Even if you had the fastest reaction in the world, you cannot stop or shift your car away to prevent that accident in time. That is just how the mechanics of things are and you cannot change that, therefore NOT all collisions are preventable.

Another example is say someone clipped you back bumper while they were changing lanes, the roads are icy and you get sent flying over the median and you are sliding straight into a gravel truck going the other way. You really think you could have seen something like that coming?

There are a ton of situations where collisions are just not in your control, fortunately though these don't occur that often (thankfully).

Statistics show that you are way more likely to get killed in a car accident than getting killed on a plane crash. So don't for a second think that just because you can prevent a few fender benders on a daily basis means all collisions are preventable. If it was then there wouldn't be any "accidents" on our roads. No one want to accept car accidents as a part of life, I know I don't, but we just have to like many other things.

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

The way i see it is if you're confident in your driving... its not you that you should be worried about.... its the other drivers around you.

Originally posted by ShermanEF9
    The way i see it is if you're confident in your driving... its not you that you should be worried about.... its the other drivers around you.
    I was behind a white Grand Prix last night who was spent half his time over the white lines, varied speed from 10 under to 30 over and was on his cell phone for as long as I could see.

Pretty sure he's confident in his driving but I'll be fucked if I think he's not causing an accident soon.

My Ride
    T4R & B8.5 S4

Saw this too. Sad.

RIP

If your tires are in good condition and inflated properly this will not happen. If one or more of my tires reach the wearbar I will replace them. Blowouts do not magically happen in this day and age.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firesto...re_controversy

A person who suffers major siezures will have his or her licence revoked. in the case of someone slipping thru the cracks, if you have good siuational awareness you will be able to see this situation unfolding.
    There is a first time for everything - I'm sure there have been people who suffered their first seizure while driving, despite a spotless health record previous.

I totally agree that 99.9999% of accidents are preventable, there is a very small few which cannot be avoided.

Check the date your tire was manufactured. Even tires with low KMs can dry up and become susceptible to a blow out.

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

Originally posted by inline6turbo
    ^ and ^^ very true. Although 100% is a little high, unless you're discounting anything that nature had a hand in, ie: deer birds tornadoes floods etc haha

I was driving beside a cow transport truck on deerfoot once. While going over the calf robe bridge a cow friggin peed all over my window!! Couldn't see a thing. Very dangerous. And smelly.
    In our training for the driving Job with the olympic torch relay we had a guy come in from a safety consulting firm, while not quite 100% they said that around 98% of all crashes are caused by human error.

That includes hitting deer, and driving in a tornado or a flood. It's a simple fact really, if you're driving through an area where there could be deer in the middle of the night you should be adjusting your speed accordingly. If it's raining heavily you should be aware of your surroundings. etc.

Mechanical failure is the only factor that's not human related. And even then the collision is often caused not by the mechanical failure, but by the human reaction to the failure.

For example, in your story, it was pretty obvious you were passing a cattle truck. And given that the side of the truck was probably caked in various forms of animal waste then it's safe to say that you would be aware that such a thing could happen right? And in your case I would assume that when it happened you didn't panic and go swerving across three lanes of traffic right? It's all the human aspect of how you handle unexpected situations.
    Originally posted by HeavyD
    you know you are making the right decision if Toma opposes it.

RIP

Originally posted by Go4Long

That includes hitting deer, and driving in a tornado or a flood. It's a simple fact really, if you're driving through an area where there could be deer in the middle of the night you should be adjusting your speed accordingly.
    I can state that it's not possible in all situation to avoid animals.

I was slowing down approaching my driveway when two deer bolted across the street from between two houses. One glanced off the front bumper and the other went by untouched. By the time I stopped to see if it was injured, they both took off in the direction they originally headed. I was going less than 40 km/h at impact. Absolutely nothing I could have done to avoid the collision.

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

That may be an exception. But there aren't many.

My Ride
    Audi 5000 QT

Originally posted by Go4Long

That includes hitting deer, and driving in a tornado or a flood. It's a simple fact really, if you're driving through an area where there could be deer in the middle of the night you should be adjusting your speed accordingly. If it's raining heavily you should be aware of your surroundings. etc.
    i would like to argue this point... There is not much human error when i comes to hitting animals.. I know because ive hit a few of them in my years of driving..

1) heading from bragg creek going 75-80 kms. deer ran out from somewhere and i only seem it once it was on my front bumper.. Wrote off that truck..

2) mountain driving from vancouver.. going 90 kms. ( during the day) and a deer came steaming out of the bush and i nailed the brakes but still creamed him... another car wrote off

3) back road between 17th and glenmore SE, going 60 kms since it was mucky on the road.. deer jumped out of a hidden driveway.. he actually jumped into the door of my work truck..

So each time iver hit a deer there was no human error involved..

id say possibly 70-80% of accidents are human faults..

Oh yeah also ive had a front tire blow out on a work truck.. tire was less then 2 weeks old. correct psi as we have to check them for the pre trip inspection... And with that tire blow out i went straight into the ditch.. again no human error.. Your facts are more like fiction.. not close to real numbers...

www.boostedalberta.com
    =[[Beyonds Dirtiest Daily Driver]]=
    Originally posted by dj_rice
    OOP or whatever that Out of Province Inspection is called

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

That's your opinion. The guy speaking had 30 years of experience in collision reconstruction. So no offense, but he had a lot more experience than you.

As for your blowout, the tire blowing out didn't cause you to crash. You not compensating for the fact your tire blew out properly did. Sorry if that offends you, but its the truth. When things happen people panic. When you panic you are no longer in control and its simply a question of physics and luck that decides if you crash.

has a name been released?
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    I say we slow down the spinning of the earth so that there is 25 hours in the day.

Join me.

You can blame it on whatever you want ...If its your time to go then your gone. Its as simple as that. RIP
    Sometimes you have to take a chance, whether that be on someone, or something!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast