Quantcast
Fence Extension onto City property - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Fence Extension onto City property

My Ride
    Subaru WRX Wagon

Default Fence Extension onto City property

Does anyone have any thoughts/experiences with this?
    We recently purchased a home and while talking with the builder/seller, he says we can just extend the fence and pay the city down the road. However, while getting quotes from various contractors, they require an encroachment agreement from the city in order to proceed. I tried the "nice" path and submitted a request to the City of Calgary, only to get a firm NO on any type of structure on city property. Did I just hose myself or is there any other means? Do I just extend the fence and hope for the best?

If anyone has any thoughts or opinions on this, then it'd be greatly appreciated.

My Ride
    Treg/B7

Why would you knowingly extend past your property into City land? They will never just give up the land to you as you suggest. How much do you want to extend?

My Ride
    Subaru WRX Wagon

Yard is narrow and would like some additional space for the dogs.
    There is about 15 ft of space from the fence to the sidewalk and I just wanted to extend it out 5-6 ft towards it.

Originally posted by Rarasaurus
    Why would you knowingly extend past your property into City land? They will never just give up the land to you as you suggest. How much do you want to extend?

Interesting, you bought a parcel of land and now you want to use your neighbors property as your own... Did you plan on paying more in property tax or you just want this land for free? I would hope the CoC would refuse this.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Do you have your property report that shows where your property ends, and the cities begins? I find it hard to imagine it's 15' from the sidewalk.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
    Do you have your property report that shows where your property ends, and the cities begins? I find it hard to imagine it's 15' from the sidewalk.
    It might be one of those properties that has a sidewalk and a grass strip sandwiched between the road and the back fences of people's homes.

In this case, I think that the grass would indeed be outside of OP's property.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

Originally posted by dosun
    Yard is narrow and would like some additional space for the dogs.
    There is about 15 ft of space from the fence to the sidewalk and I just wanted to extend it out 5-6 ft towards it.

Maybe part of the original plan should've been to purchase a home with a large enough lot for your dogs. It's really bullshit that you think you can just annex some of the city's land for your needs - maybe I'll extend a fence in front of my place across the street so I don't have to deal with vehicles driving past my home.

Me, me, me, me - what a world we live in. Sorry if I sound harsh but to have the balls to even post what you're thinking of doing really peeves me. I think I'll stop here before I post something I'll regret.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I have successfully gotten an encroachment agreement for a small landscaping structure on city land adjacent to my property. It's a total shitshow, and not a trivial undertaking.

If you want to discuss with me in person, send me a PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2002 jeep tj

Originally posted by FraserB

It might be one of those properties that has a sidewalk and a grass strip sandwiched between the road and the back fences of people's homes.

In this case, I think that the grass would indeed be outside of OP's property.
    yep and its your responsibility to be cutting the city's grass too looool

My Ride
    V8s

Holy shit, this is awesome.

I also want a bigger yard, I think I might move my fence 8' back into the alley and lay some sod. Come to think of it, I make better use of my yard than the neighbours do, maybe I'll move my fence over there a bit too!

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by Jeeper1986

yep and its your responsibility to be cutting the city's grass too looool
    In this case, it most likely wouldn't be if the original fence was built by the developer
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    bus

Default Re: Fence Extension onto City property

Originally posted by dosun
    Does anyone have any thoughts/experiences with this?
    We recently purchased a home and while talking with the builder/seller, he says we can just extend the fence and pay the city down the road. However, while getting quotes from various contractors, they require an encroachment agreement from the city in order to proceed. I tried the "nice" path and submitted a request to the City of Calgary, only to get a firm NO on any type of structure on city property. Did I just hose myself or is there any other means? Do I just extend the fence and hope for the best?

If anyone has any thoughts or opinions on this, then it'd be greatly appreciated.
    Time to shell out some cash and buy a bigger lot bro, this city does not give shit away for free.

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    I have successfully gotten an encroachment agreement for a small landscaping structure on city land adjacent to my property. It's a total shitshow, and not a trivial undertaking.

If you want to discuss with me in person, send me a PM.
    What kind of structure was it. I feel this fence idea is going to be a tough sell.
    A unique structure neighbors won't likely question. But when neighbors see his fence extending past theirs they are all going to want to apply for the encroachment agreement. Would be a giant gong show for the city so I don't see them ever approving the OP's request.

Edit: it is a huge piss off though that the builder is giving advice they have absolutely no business giving...
    Last edited by J-hop; 04-18-2017 at 06:40 AM.

My Ride
    g2 teg

Originally posted by speedog

Maybe part of the original plan should've been to purchase a home with a large enough lot for your dogs. It's really bullshit that you think you can just annex some of the city's land for your needs - maybe I'll extend a fence in front of my place across the street so I don't have to deal with vehicles driving past my home.

Me, me, me, me - what a world we live in. Sorry if I sound harsh but to have the balls to even post what you're thinking of doing really peeves me. I think I'll stop here before I post something I'll regret.
    Preach! This has been really bugging me these days as well.

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

I need a garage but i dont have room, think the city will mind if i build one in the middle of the alley?
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

Annex the land and declare it a sovereign nation, I'm sure Russia will back you right now

My Ride
    2018 Audi RS3

Attached Images Attached Images  

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Originally posted by J-hop

What kind of structure was it. I feel this fence idea is going to be a tough sell.
    In my case, Ilive in a neighborhood where the fist fifteen feet or so of the front yards are city property. I've been told it was surveyed that way to allow for those "boulevard" strips between the sidewalk and the road, but on my street the sidewalk is beside the street.

Anyway, I built a brick/stone planter that goes pretty much right to the sidewalk. Didn't think it was much of a problem until I got an updated RPR, and couldn't get a compliance stamp on it because of an "unauthorized structure".

Spent six or eight months and a lot of fucking around, and nearly a thousand dollars, but I now have an encroachment agreement with the city permanently registered on the land title to allow this particular structure to exist on city land.

Don't know the details of the OP's situation, but if he's proposing to enclose city land inside his fence, I don't think that would ever be permitted. Unless you are Jim Shaw's place on crescent road and make a massive donation to the parks department.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Originally posted by ExtraSlow

Don't know the details of the OP's situation, but if he's proposing to enclose city land inside his fence, I don't think that would ever be permitted. Unless you are Jim Shaw's place on crescent road and make a massive donation to the parks department.
    Don Taylor couldn't even pull off his proposal and he's dropped tens of millions on the local area.