Quantcast
Foam blocks in shower - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Foam blocks in shower

Default Foam blocks in shower

Anyone use / install foam blocks in the shower? Found these benches from Noble (http://noblecompany.com/products/noble-shelf-bench) and it says you can tile right over them. I'm use to seeing more traditional cinder block or wood framed benches - but not these foam blocks.

They're awesome. Use them all the time.
    Wood framed bench= worst method

Cinder block/cbu=better

Styrofoam=best method.

Doing a shower right this minute that is Styrofoam board, Styrofoam shower pan and Styrofoam bench and niche.

Thanks dave. To properly install one, im assuming you ditra the shower as you normally would then place the foam block on top. Then basically start tiling.

Originally posted by black_2.5RS
    Thanks dave. To properly install one, im assuming you ditra the shower as you normally would then place the foam block on top. Then basically start tiling.
    I would personally install the bench first, then apply Schluter Kerdi (Ditra is the waffle looking stuff for floors) over the walls, and seat.

There is also a solid-block corner seat made from styrofoam by Schluter. It sits on the floor, as opposed to hanging "free-floating". I usually apply all my Kerdi BEFORE the seat...thinset that onto the floor/wall and just tile directly onto it.

Wasn't there a local company making stuff like this and shower pans? They were green in color and I saw them at a H&G show. Can't find their site.

Any one company better than others, dave? I suspect shipping would be costly so locally obtained would be best.

Made my own shower pan and man, I'll only do that once. For the time, effort, concrete and still not 100%, I'd spend the extra for an already sloped shower pan.

^ Probably referring to Laticrete's Hydro ban products. Same shit, different pile. There's many different waterproofing, shower kit assemblies, etc. with more coming out all the time. Wedi System is another. All those above are available locally. I use schluter because I like the price point and readily available at Ames, as well as retail at Home Depot.
    Doing a shower/bathroom with in floor heating today as a matter of fact, all Schluter products.

Dave. Have you ever used a product called redguard? It sounds like its equivalent but much easier to apply since it sounds like a rubber paint. I was thinking of using it on the walls only. Thoughts?

Oh yeah, lots. It's a good product, but you can't really use it in conjuction with the Styrofoam pans, benches and curbs.. I used to use it a lot when I did conventional shower pans, using drypack (sand & cement mix), the saraloy rubber liner and then regular drywall. (I used it in InRich's steam shower) The liner/dry pack makes the floor waterproof, leaving just the walls needing to be waterproofed. The biggest concern for waterproofing though is not the walls but the floor and curb area. As long as the shower pan and curb is constructed properly, you could apply the tile directly onto drywall and it will last a good 20 years or more.
    So yes red guard is good, but you still need something else for the shower pan assembly.

Current shower/bathroom floor I'm doing with all Schluter products:

Hehe...just finished the niche. No matter how many of these things I do. ..I still fucking love them and am amazed how nice they turn out. Pre-fabbed Schluter Niches FTW.

Do you have a recommendation for a foam neo angle kit?

What im looking for is to replace my current tub / shower (crappy bathfitter junk) with a neo angle shower w/seat in order to fit a double vanity in my ensuite.

Originally posted by Alterac
    Do you have a recommendation for a foam neo angle kit?

What im looking for is to replace my current tub / shower (crappy bathfitter junk) with a neo angle shower w/seat in order to fit a double vanity in my ensuite.
    Buy Schluter's 3x5 shower kit. Comes with two 4' curbs. Cut to suit, keeping the drain as your center point. Includes everything you need. Pan, drain, curb, and 100 sf of kerdi fabric for waterproofing.
    http://m.homedepot.ca/product/Produc...928351&lang=en

Or hire me.
    Last edited by C_Dave45; 11-13-2014 at 03:52 PM.