Quantcast
Front loading washer and dryer recommendation? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Front loading washer and dryer recommendation?

Default Front loading washer and dryer recommendation?

It's going to be either Samsung, LG, or Whirlpool. Any quality difference between those three?

Also, should I go with a direct drive or belt drive?

My Ride
    1.2 GIGAWATT CUISINART POWERED DELOREAN

I just bought a new set an I ended up going with Samsung. I would stay away from Whirpool as the previous set I had only lasted 5 years under normal use for a family of 4.

Direct drive is quieter and has less maintenance but they are a bit more expensive to fix.
    “I don’t understand bus lanes. Why do poor people have to get to places quicker than I do?” -Jeremy Clarkson

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Just bought a set of really nice samsunga for 2000 for the set, which I thought was a great deal from trail. Wrt the expensive direct drive mine came with a 10 year warranty on the drive system which negates any real negatives there.

Bumping this thread cause I need information.

Where do you recommend I get a new washer and dryer from? Also is there a better time of the year to get one?

What brand do you guys recommend.

Are there features that I need to have?

All I know is that I need a front loaded washer and dryer.

What's the price range for a decent set?

It also needs to be small cause the storage area in my condo isn't very big.

Thanks any suggestions and information would be great.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Coastal and Trail are two of the bigger places to get it from. The Bay may have sales once in a while as well, and they will price match.

If you can wait, hold off until Boxing Week. There were some really good deals the past two years. I would have been able to get the newer top of the line model for much less money than I paid in the summer.

If you can't wait, there might be some gems in the clearance section of Trail Appliances. Some of them would just have a small dent. Works better if you are only looking for one of the two pieces, as it is much cheaper to get both of the same models together.

Steam Dryer is awesome. For the steam dryer, the models with removable reservoir (as opposed to the hot water piped in) tends to have a separate heater. This means that the steam is generated before it is injected into the drum, compared to hot water injected into the drum that turns into steam from the heat. Might be different now, but this is what I found last year.

Steam washer...meh. It helps to unstink some of my towels once in a while, but can live without.

When I was doing my research, Samsung and LG were the only two brands that were consistently at the top of every category. LG was rated to have the better dryer, while Samsung had the better washer. I bought a mismatched pair for that reason.

If I had to do it again, I would go with LG for both. Looks better, shorter wash time, and much less annoying song.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

well don't go with Samsung. My dryer is 2 years old and just croaked. I don't use it excessively. My lint trap is always clean, I actually hang most of my laundry to dry. I never overload. Soooo annoyed. I see lots of others saying the same things about Samsung dyers after I hunted down parts to order.

Originally posted by Kritafo
    well don't go with Samsung. My dryer is 2 years old and just croaked. I don't use it excessively. My lint trap is always clean, I actually hang most of my laundry to dry. I never overload. Soooo annoyed. I see lots of others saying the same things about Samsung dyers after I hunted down parts to order.
    Hi Kritafo.

The same "Google" search can prove/disprove anything.

I ended up getting a sweet deal for an LG front loading pair.

The first thing I noticed with the washer was it was hardly using any water, soap, or do ANYTHING that resembled washing the clothes. Yet, the clothes came out clean. So then I thought, "How stingy can I be with my money"? (with total disregard for my money burning in other useless and destructive aspects lol.)

Anyway, I started to use the quick wash function, and the results were the same.

If I can help it, I'm never going back to the Neanderthal top loading washers. I was more monster than human

it was actually in one of the samsung forums.

Yes I did notice a massive difference in water and soap usage. I mean my clothes come out of the front load washer almost dry. We got our pair during the futureshop boxing day specials, and they were a fantastic deal, I am just not very happy that my barely used dryer ins't working.

Thanks for the information guys. Thanks for detailed write up Juror. Anyone else?

Originally posted by Kritafo
    it was actually in one of the samsung forums.

Yes I did notice a massive difference in water and soap usage. I mean my clothes come out of the front load washer almost dry. We got our pair during the futureshop boxing day specials, and they were a fantastic deal, I am just not very happy that my barely used dryer ins't working.
    Like any other manufacturer, shit happens to even the best of them.

I normally despise extended warranties, but for kitchen appliances, it's worth it.

Mitsu300gt has this set and recommended them: LG WM2250CW & LG DLE2250W

I think he bought them last boxing day for $1400 including delivery. They can also stack if space is a concern.

We purchased them from Future Shop in May based on Mitsu's recommendation for $1250 including delivery and I think in July Future Shop had a "Boxing" week sale for $1200.

It's front loading, stainless steel drum, direct drive motor - it doesn't have all the bells and whistles but it's a very attractive price point for what it does have and how well it cleans.

Originally posted by Amysicle
    We have older LG models that came with our house than Mitsu recommended (LG WM2010CW & LG DLE1310W - 3 years old, they don't have all the bells & whistles but we don't need them)... been happy with them. No problems yet! I do keep up with the maintenance so that probably helps...

The most important thing with a front loader is to keep the door open to let it dry out or you'll have funky smells in no time!
    Originally posted by Xtrema
    ZenOps is like everyone's crazy uncle.
    Originally posted by DayGlow
    How do you respond to stupid?
    Originally posted by rage2
    Jesus fucking christ Rob Anders, learn to read your own links.
    Originally posted by Seth1968
    Zenops: Ok, but remember my dick is made of nickle.

We have the front loading LG washers that were top of the line a few years back and so far have had not a single problem! We just have to keep the washer's door open when it isn't used to it doesn't smell (needs to be vented i guess)

Default Re: Front loading washer and dryer recommendation?

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-21-2019 at 06:10 PM.

no idea if its true or not but the salesman at trail told us to avoid LG due to some recent change in service they made?

Originally posted by Street_Soldier
    Bumping this thread cause I need information.

Where do you recommend I get a new washer and dryer from? Also is there a better time of the year to get one?

What brand do you guys recommend.

Are there features that I need to have?

All I know is that I need a front loaded washer and dryer.

What's the price range for a decent set?

It also needs to be small cause the storage area in my condo isn't very big.

Thanks any suggestions and information would be great.
    Shot you a PM...

Originally posted by Amysicle

I think he bought them last boxing day for $1400 including delivery. They can also stack if space is a concern.

We purchased them from Future Shop in May based on Mitsu's recommendation for $1250 including delivery and I think in July Future Shop had a "Boxing" week sale for $1200.

It's front loading, stainless steel drum, direct drive motor - it doesn't have all the bells and whistles but it's a very attractive price point for what it does have and how well it cleans.
    Yeah I am super happy with mine. It was just under $1400 including delivery, stack kit, and haul-away of the old units, so they can be had for pretty good prices. It was last Boxing Day at Home Depot.

The only features it's missing really is steam, which I didn't want. They are quiet, and have all the gentle/hand/quick wash settings, etc. that you need.

My parents have the one model up LG and I think they are 4 years old now with zero problems, and they get run pretty hard.

I'd be surprised if there was a better well-featured set in the $1200 range than that pair. Consumer reports rated them highly as well if you care about that sort of thing.

Absolutely zero problems, zero smell, and I tried cleaning the filter but there wasn't so much as a single hair in it, so you won't need to do that often.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 09-23-2013 at 02:10 PM.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I'm in the market for a new W&D and if it's good enough for the avid researchers, I'll just take their recommendations! Should I wait until Christmas time though?
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    4x4

We went with the bottom of the barrel (not quite but basically the cheapest ones you'll find at Lowes on Sunday) GE - after a ton of research, every make/model has issues / complaints.

9months or so later - they're going strong... Our only issue has been apprentices little socks somehow make it into the filter every few weeks... Then it won't drain... The front bottom panel for the washer now stays off, with a paint rolling tray in proximity for draining...

That parts f*ing annoying, but its a 2 minute fix; and seems to coincide nicely with a visible need to clean the filter anyway...

Originally posted by msommers
    I'm in the market for a new W&D and if it's good enough for the avid researchers, I'll just take their recommendations! Should I wait until Christmas time though?
    I have a very good contact for appliances, I'll PM you his info.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast