Quantcast
Frost on inside of windshield solution! - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Frost on inside of windshield solution!

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

Originally posted by CUG
    Seriously? I'm gonna try that. No more coral reef growing on her genitals.
    You ain't right boy.

My Ride
    fast and red.

Is your heater core leaking? It's not normal to have that much frost build up inside a vehicle unless there's a source of moisture somewhere. Can you smell coolant? Or do you have a habit of shampooing the carpets often?

EDIT: and okay, a tray of baking soda might actually work, but really, who wants to drive around town with a tray of baking soda on the dashboard?

So why does A/C + heat work? What's the science there?

My Ride
    S14|TB1

Originally posted by Mibz
    So why does A/C + heat work? What's the science there?
    the evaporator in the a/c system will dehumidify the cabin area, in the hot summer it will try and vacate the cabin of hot air, edit: i guess it will do it in the winter too obviously but its a price to pay for quicker defrost.

lol original posting is almost a year old, it's always the gdamned noobs bumping these threads, there should be a note upon making an account here, read original/last posting dates or be hated forever.
    Last edited by n1zm0; 12-15-2009 at 12:08 PM.

My Ride
    GD + GR WRB

If someone had made a new post about this everyone would be screaming "SEARCH!!!!!!!!!!"
    Bought not built!

My Ride
    2011 Mustang GT

Originally posted by kevie88
    If someone had made a new post about this everyone would be screaming "SEARCH!!!!!!!!!!"
    Truth.

I will have to try this baking soda trick. Plus all-weather floor mats. THx for the tips !
    Beyond's Most Wanted

I've got a Murano that lives outside, and have never had that problem.

My Ride
    JRSC00LUDE's sister

My windows never ever frosted up, until this weekend when I made a two hour road trip with a fat fellow in my passenger front seat. That guy emitted so much steam I had the AC cranked, full defrost, and I still only had a small patch of clear glass.

Next time I'll try some baking soad
    Originally posted by Ali
    I'm glad he's happy but he's still fucking Prince! If he wants to hang with Jehovah that's cool, it's just sucks that I'll never have the opportunity to hear "Soft and Wet" live

My Ride
    A Gmc express

Default windshield fogging or icing up!

The reason your windshield freezes up is because of condensation in the vehicle, the reason the baking soda works is because it absorbs the moisture.
    A simpler way to solve the problem is to clear the condensation and equalize the temperature inside and outside of your vehicle just before or as soon as you park the car. Do this by opening your car window and turning off your heat as you are approaching your destination to circulate the air in the cabin and equalize the temperature, if you forget to do this no problem, after you park just open your car door and allow the outside air to come inside of your car just long enough for the inside of the car to cool down and dilute the condensation.

Cheers

Moderator Edit: URL removed. Private Sales and Paid Sponsors Only! If you are a business, buy a banner. We offer VERY affordable advertising rates
    getmobile

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Welcome, our newest forum sponsor!!!

Oh... wait....
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

The spammer is totally right. Let the warm moist air out of your car when you get to your destination, or drive the last 100 yeards with your windows down. If you park somwhere where you won't get snow blown inside, leave the window open a crack.
    Calgary in winter is so dry that this 100% operator error.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    The spammer is totally right. Let the warm moist air out of your car when you get to your destination, or drive the last 100 yeards with your windows down. If you park somwhere where you won't get snow blown inside, leave the window open a crack.
    Calgary in winter is so dry that this 100% operator error.
    this.

i always open my window and switch the temp to cold and put the fans on high just before reaching my destination.

My Ride
    A Gmc express

Default Spammer here!

You could at least give a guy a warning! I saw the http:// button, and didn't think there was a problem with posting it here...won't happen again!
    getmobile

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Default Re: Spammer here!

Originally posted by getmobile
    You could at least give a guy a warning! I saw the http:// button, and didn't think there was a problem with posting it here...won't happen again!
    The warning is when you sign up and it tells you to familiarize yourself with the rules of the board.

A normal car should not have frost on the inside of the windows.

I suspect that the floor mats and carpet are likely caked with snow and ice. So during the day when its warmer the moisture melts and coats the windows and at night turns to frost.

Probably worth cleaning out the snow and taking a shopvac to the carpets and floor mats on a warmer day.

My Ride
    07 Mazda3

I normally leave all four windows open about half and inch. Doesn't always work 100% when it gets really cold but seems to help.

I was thinking about getting those ugly plastic wind deflectors/rain guards put on. So that way I can still roll down my windows when it snows or blustering outside. My concern is that when it is really windy, that they might actually catch the snow get sucked into the car. Essentially defeating the purpose...

As for the baking soda idea. I'm curious as to how much is needed, how long it lasts (or does vary wildly on temperature?) I assume would want a lid so can seal it up when driving around. So doesn't spill everywhere.

Anyone tried rain-x anti fog on the inside? Or is it only meant for usage in places where winter doesn't exist?

Kept mentioning it to the dealership, and they seem to think that the frosting up on the inside was normal. To bad the heater really isn't powerful enough. Since the warranty is up, I'm sure they would love to take my money to tell me the same thing
    Last edited by jacks; 11-21-2011 at 11:48 AM.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

or

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Originally posted by jacks
    I normally leave all four windows open about half and inch. Doesn't always work 100% when it gets really cold but seems to help.

I was thinking about getting those ugly plastic wind deflectors/rain guards put on. So that way I can still roll down my windows when it snows or blustering outside. My concern is that when it is really windy, that they might actually catch the snow get sucked into the car. Essentially defeating the purpose...
    Leaving the windows open a crack when parked is your best line of defense. If you can, drive the one window open a little as well, epsecially when it's really cold out. Cold outside air is very dry.
    Those rain gaurds are great, but if it's windy when it's snowing, or the snow is very fine/dry, it WILL get into your interior. You have to keep your eye on the overnight orecast if you are going to leave your window cracked, even with the gaurds.

Lee Valley sells a few dehumidifying and mosture reduction options. I think they are based on silica gel. That's a fancier version of the box of baking soda.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    07 Mazda3

That was my exactly when I was concerned about with the rainguards. Was hoping that on days where it was really windy or snowing like crazy, would be able to get into a frost free car

I did look into the silica gel. Turns out that the blue/pink stuff can be toxic. So you need to find the orange/green stuff. Also with the desiccant is that anything below room temperature, I've read the effect diminishes greatly as it gets colder. Not to mention the 2 hours in the oven it would take to renew it. Also the area that it actually can dehumidify is very small.

I bought one of the orange bags off ebay for cheap. It was 250g and is only good for 3 cu feet. $10 shipped from hong kong. Decided to try this route (still waiting for delivery to show up) because I had heard that it could microwaved for nly 8 mins. Then I did some more digging, and was told that it would work, but this process degrades the colour changing dye.

What if I put the baking soda in a ziploc freezer bag? I can get a small box for cheap at the dollarstore is all.

My concern is that how long it will last. Or is it more of trial and error? Since obviously wouldn't be leaving the windows open.

"Overnight" doesn't seem to frost up. Then again my car sits out there for 15+ hours

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3