Quantcast
Garage containment mats - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Garage containment mats

My Ride
    GLS63 AMG

Default Garage containment mats

The issue I had since buying this home with the garage has become significantly worse as the result of the unit heater I installed this summer and I am in the market for a garage containment mat for all the water and snow that drops onto the floor from the vehicle when it is parked.

I've looked at a couple options thus far and would like anyone who uses any of these mats first hand experience with them.

The Park Smart Clean Park mat seems to be the most popular but people who have reviewed them say they are crap to install and are of poor quality:

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.1000735373.html

The next one I found was Auto Floor Guard Containment mat, which I can't seem to find any negative reviews of and is the mat I want due to it being wider than most others, I can't seem to find these locally other than

http://wickedworkshops.ca/auto-floor...ge-floor-mats/

The next one I found is similar looking to the Auto Floor Guard one but made in Canada I guess?

http://www.canadamats.ca/garage-containment-mats.html

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Interesting idea, never knew about these. I just use a large squeegee blade broom thing to take all the crap out of the garage, along with a humidity controlled exhaust fan, seems to work alright

My Ride
    2022 X2M

Originally posted by eblend
    Interesting idea, never knew about these. I just use a large squeegee blade broom thing to take all the crap out of the garage, along with a humidity controlled exhaust fan, seems to work alright

Must Buy.

I will be hunting for those next week. I have been dealing with a soaking wet garage for two years now.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

My Ride
    GLS63 AMG

I'm afraid a squeegee won't save my drywall as it goes right to the concrete floor and the water runs towards the wall.

Put in a drain...

Originally posted by mix123
    Put in a drain...
    how you add a drain to old cement floor?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Are drains in garages legal in the city?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Yes, I have 2.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Last edited by codetrap; 01-01-2017 at 10:40 AM.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by rob the knob

how you add a drain to old cement floor?
    You cut it.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

My dad got a huge really heavy weight tarp and some 1" wood dowels, wrapped the edges around the dowels and uses that. It contains all the water inside it, then he uses the shop vac to suck up the water if it gets too much.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    I would think they have to run into the actual waste water lines and not just into the storm drain system.

Originally posted by codetrap
    You could glue down some channel around the edges of your garage to keep the water from the drywall... or just cut the drywall an inch up from the floor to prevent the wicking...
    This is the best idea, drywall shouldn't touch the garage floor.

I'm assuming that this is a detached garage (as the footing on a attached garage is usually concrete the first 2 feet up)? Because even if you cut the drywall back, you'll still want to keep the 2x4 studs from getting wet as well.

Proper ventilation goes along way, it surprises me how few garages have some sort of air return setup so moisture can leave.

My Ride
    GLS63 AMG

The garage is detached, thanks for the suggestions and all but for the time being I'm just looking to contain the problem as I also wish to preserve the concrete slab from the water/dirt/salt etc and don't pLan on coating yet. I'm guessing none of you guys have used the containment mats, I've read about the improvised ones and would much rather buy one prebuilt, I was just looking to see if anyone had any experience with them.

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

Originally posted by StreetRacerX
    The garage is detached, thanks for the suggestions and all but for the time being I'm just looking to contain the problem as I also wish to preserve the concrete slab from the water/dirt/salt etc and don't pLan on coating yet. I'm guessing none of you guys have used the containment mats, I've read about the improvised ones and would much rather buy one prebuilt, I was just looking to see if anyone had any experience with them.
    My parents have what looks like the third link in your OP. They seem to work.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

Originally posted by benyl

You cut it.

is it that easy to do in calgary? i know you can cut basement for toilet. that is deep.
    if you cut garage floor like that, then water freezes, and ice causes pushing on concrete? look like big problems. any experts here?

I've seen it done in 2 Saskatchewan garages. Both were heated. Had a trough the length of the garage cut in by the overhead door then a hole similar to the picture above. Cement poured in and cleaned the trough up. Then put a submersible pump in the hole to pump the water. Your imagination can figure out where it pumps to. I also had one where there was a 3 foot deep pit in the middle of the garage. Similar to the hole above where the water just collected and then I would empty it with a wet vac every so often in the winter. That worked really well actually.

Ideally a new build with a proper drain is best...but thats not always an option
    Last edited by mix123; 12-29-2015 at 08:32 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

If you were building the garage from new, a dry well below the low point that is dug down below the frost line is an option. I have heard of that being done, and apparently works fine for "normal" amounts of water.
    I suspect that's a little more of a pain to retrofit into an existing slab.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    GLS63 AMG

Ordered a 7' 9" x18' Auto Floor Guard mat from wicked workshops, cost $429 shipped, taxes included. They sold out of the 8' 6" ones earlier in the year and said they won't be bringing them in anymore due to the weak dollar.

Originally posted by StreetRacerX
    Ordered a 7' 9" x18' Auto Floor Guard mat from wicked workshops, cost $429 shipped, taxes included. They sold out of the 8' 6" ones earlier in the year and said they won't be bringing them in anymore due to the weak dollar.
    Very interested as well. Please post a review after you've got yours. Any reason why you didn't go with the third option? Is it because it is beige color?

My Ride
    2007 4Runner

Here's another brand Tapson that is made in Canada and available here in Calgary.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast