Quantcast
Garage packages in Calgary? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Garage packages in Calgary?

My Ride
    02 Accord

Originally posted by nusneak

I've probably installed more of those damn things then you can shake a stick at. I know exactly what they are and how they work. I've only seen one in a residental garage and it did not do the best job heating the garage when I was in there. That and it was v.expensive, and in my experience I've never seen an IR heater make heat like your talking about.
    Where ever the shield is pointed will have radiating heat coming down from above it, if in fact your IR's do work that well I dont know wth my buddy got installed from arpis because that sure seems like every other IR I have installed.
    You install em? who do you work for? You really sound like you dont like em... wanna IM me your phone number, I got an opportunity for you.

My Ride
    2000 Honda Prelude

think you can hook me up for concrete in my back yard? its already framed and rebar all i need is pour and finish

My Ride
    IS300, 335, highlander, rentals?!

Little bit of an update...

I originally had a quote from Totem before I started this thread so I didn't talk to your guy at Totem. Unfortunately the guy that I talked to at the desk at Totem was the biggest weiner in town (other quote guy was alright) and their price was well higher than everywhere else, so that kind of turned me off from them.

Star building materials is $5g and they were friendly for basic package without siding if I recall. They were pretty busy and I only had a quick verbal.

I talked to one Rona and they didn't know much, but they were ok. I went to the one on Soutland and happened to get the manager who was very helpful. I was able to check their garage estimator which builds the 3d garage instantly while I was there. So far I am most impressed with the layout and details with their package, and their price is on par with Star.... plus Rona gives airmiles. It's funny considering Rona bought out Totem, but obviously they are not completely in-sync yet as they clearly don't use the same program even.

For the pad, there is a ridiculous $10,000 price difference depending on who you call. I'm still waiting for a friend of a friend to come down to give a quote, but I don't want to wait too much longer. I need the pad poured soon!

My Ride
    IS300, 335, highlander, rentals?!

More of an update.

I don't know how you can find cheap labour or parts in Calgary anymore, short of getting free bits and pieces from people you know.

I ended up going with 9 foot walls, 24'x29'. The cost from Rona was a little over $5000 for door, door opener, trusses/header/basically all the wood, nails, etc. not including some of the siding, electrical, or drywall. The guy I originally talked to at Rona was good, but he dissappeared and it was more boneheads after that. They missed a truss and you had to build you own gable ends. From another friend I talkted to, Totem supplies prebuilt gable ends. So you may want to ask around when you are doing this.

We ended up taking the door and the door opener back. We wanted a door with a design and a different design door opener (belt or similar). Creative door had the higher quality 'fancy' door for the best price. I believe it was Wayne Dalton and around $1600 instead of the $850ish for your basic door... although there was one place that sold some garaga (or whatever the cheaper knockoff is) for a couple hundred cheaper. We didn't like the look of that enough to not want to spend the extra money.

We used Frandome developments for the pad and added 6" stub walls (including fill, grading, smooth finish). The stub walls seemed to add $1500-$3000+ depending who you called. The cost of the pad sucked, around $6500 and it was cheaper than about 8 other places that we talked to. The only problem I had, and it was fiarly major is that they sloped the pad towards the front for drainage (good), but the boneheads also sloped the stub walls which meant some creativity to level the walls (bad). My reccomendation here is to get the amount of slope in writing, and mention level stub walls in writing as well. Unfortunately, the building code does not mention anything about a building not being plumb, so they are not really entitled to fix it (alhtough I had fun). Your best bet may be to book a company like Inland or Burnco a year in advance as the concrete itself is cheap.

For siding, just buying the siding from any of the siding companies should save you a little bit of money. They are all close to the same price. If you don't want to install yourself, some guys will charge you about a $1/foot on the side (+/-). Actual companies are wayyyy higher.

Roofing pieces were included and should be easy enough for someone to install.

Tip - Air nailers are a wonderful thing.

I still have more to finish and I have to get heat/electrical out to the garage. I'll be doing all of that myself anyway (brotherinlaw is HVAC, I used to do electrical). Electrical pieces in the garage are not very expensive (buy the bulk items). But the larger diameter cable for a higher amp service will probably cost just as much or more than all of the little pieces.

I hope this helps someone get an idea of what prices in Calgary seem to be.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

I know that this thread is mostly about build it yourself, but a buddy/client of mine (Kyle @ Raintree Contracting) offers an all-inclusive garage package for around $22k.

(Also, sorry for necro-bump, but this thread is front-page on Google so IO figured I'd give Kyle a boost)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2