Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Careers > Getting back into the I.T industry

Author
Thread
Xtrema
Sixth Gear

What I drive: 2016 MB C450
Posts/Day: 1.55
Trader Rating: (4)
User Rating: 95%

quote:

Originally posted by nzwasp
So Xtrema what are you doing to stay current and not get automated?

As much as I love hands on stuff, I don't see it existing in 10 years. And it won't be our choice. It will be due to Cloud Infrastructure disrupting the industry enough that the traditional supplier will go under and force everyone to move to the cloud.

But for myself, I may want to take it easy in project management. Pay sucks and jobs are few in down time like this, but I probably would welcome a bit of slowing down after 20+ years of non stop working the tech. I'm also done with tech and I see next 5 years will accelerate much faster and even harder to catch than the last 10 years.

Like Revelation say, IT will not 100% go away. But I see most infrastructure will as work process changes and the old guards (Hardware providers, Microsoft Windows) are slowly being phased out.

Originally posted by rage2
Cant say the same for US gov.

https://www.fedramp.gov
https://aws.amazon.com/govcloud-us/

Being one of the very few vendors with FedRAMP has turned out to be a massive advantage for us. All I'm saying is, be ready for it. Don't get into it when cloud guys are a dime a dozen.

AWS just fired up their Canadian data center 4 months ago, so I expect government agencies to start putting together the framework soon. That was the biggest barrier for Canadian financial companies and government agencies to move to the cloud as data HAS to stay in Canada under Canadian privacy regulations. Prior to that we had to run a legacy Canadian data center to satisfy such customers.

Yup. Unless under some special circumstances, cloud is the future. Azure already got TO and Montreal datacenters and AWS is in Montreal. They will be start to attract customers with concerns with Canadian laws.

And if they ever got reason for Western DC, you can also kiss the latency argument goodbye as well.

Last edited by Xtrema on 04-08-2017 at 08:58 PM

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-08-2017 08:50 PM
Xtrema is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Xtrema Click here to Send Xtrema a Private Message Find more posts by Xtrema Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

cgyITguy

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.00
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

I agree for the most part with the things previously mentioned in this thread. Things are certainly shifting (aren't they always), although I don't think full automation or the widespread deaths of IT careers are in the immediate future. Just as virtualization became prevalent, so will cloud infrastructures although for the time being there are still plenty of companies with internal servers and on-premise exchange and so forth. IT has many branches and I think its important to be well versed in as many of them as you can and some have heavy expertise in a few. Think of it as diversifying your skills portfolio. If you can adapt with the times you will be just fine.

For myself - I'm mostly a senior infrastructure type guy. Lately I've decided to beef up my security skills and go the CISSP route. With the heavy increase in cyber attacks and ransomware etc. I think this would be a great addition to my career path and keep as many doors and options open for future opportunities.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-10-2017 07:40 PM
cgyITguy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cgyITguy Click here to Send cgyITguy a Private Message Find more posts by cgyITguy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 08:02 AM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Careers > Getting back into the I.T industry

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: