Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Society / Law / Current Events / Politics > Green cart for compost goes live (was trial)

Author
Thread
Tik-Tok
Cowboy Hunter

What I drive: Japanese functionality, Swedish style.
Posts/Day: 1.55
Trader Rating: (12)
User Rating: 101%

quote:

Honestly. My only beef with it is needing two separate garbages in my kitchen now. I've already got garbage, recycling, and bottle/cans, no place left for another one.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-21-2017 11:24 PM
Tik-Tok is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Tik-Tok Click here to Send Tik-Tok a Private Message Find more posts by Tik-Tok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

speedog
Second Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.65
Trader Rating: (2)
User Rating: 104%

quote:

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Honestly. My only beef with it is needing two separate garbages in my kitchen now. I've already got garbage, recycling, and bottle/cans, no place left for another one.

Buy a bigger house?

Old Post 04-22-2017 12:59 AM
speedog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for speedog Click here to Send speedog a Private Message Find more posts by speedog Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jwslam
Second Gear

What I drive: is easy to spot
Posts/Day: 0.43
Trader Rating: (61)
User Rating: 96%

quote:

Originally posted by tirebob
I have to laugh a little listening to all the comments as we went through exactly the same thing 2 years ago (well 3 with the pilot project) and everyone had the same worries/complaints etc, but now everyone is super happy about it.

I swear when my parents' pilot this in Huntington it has to be way more than 5 years ago... Maybe even close to 10. I seem to remember garbage back then wasn't even carts?

Last edited by jwslam on 04-22-2017 at 04:00 AM

Old Post 04-22-2017 03:57 AM
jwslam is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jwslam Click here to Send jwslam a Private Message Find more posts by jwslam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rx7_turbo2
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.22
Trader Rating: (3)
User Rating: 97%

quote:

Was cutting the black bins to every other week always part of the plan? I'll be the first one to admit I don't really pay attention and I'm one of the first ones to complain so.......I was at a dinner party last night and mentioned the plan for the black bins, not a single person knew about it.

I know some are saying "you'll use it more than you think". I'm pretty confident we won't. If it doesn't go down my garberator it goes in the garbage and out to the black bin, if that's full it goes in the blue bin, I guess now when the blue bin's full it'll go in the green bin. The City can sort it out on their end as far as I'm concerned.

Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.

Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?

Originally posted by Toma
rx7_turbfoags best friend

Toma the homophobe?

Old Post 04-22-2017 03:08 PM
rx7_turbo2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rx7_turbo2 Click here to Send rx7_turbo2 a Private Message Find more posts by rx7_turbo2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
schocker
Fifth Gear

What I drive: Euro Accord Brah
Posts/Day: 1.46
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

^^^ I am pretty sure it was, it just hasn't been brought up in a while.

I only fill one little kitchen bag a week so this will be fine for me....I just don't have room for anymore bins in my garage.

Old Post 04-22-2017 03:22 PM
schocker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for schocker Click here to Send schocker a Private Message Visit schocker's homepage! Find more posts by schocker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kertejud2

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.01
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

Originally posted by rx7_turbo2
Was cutting the black bins to every other week always part of the plan?

Was officially made part of the plan when they announced it last May.

Old Post 04-22-2017 03:40 PM
kertejud2 is online now Click Here to See the Profile for kertejud2 Click here to Send kertejud2 a Private Message Find more posts by kertejud2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
speedog
Second Gear

What I drive:

quote:

Was cutting the black bins to every other week always part of the plan? I'll be the first one to admit I don't really pay attention and I'm one of the first ones to complain so.......I was at a dinner party last night and mentioned the plan for the black bins, not a single person knew about it.

I know some are saying "you'll use it more than you think". I'm pretty confident we won't. If it doesn't go down my garberator it goes in the garbage and out to the black bin, if that's full it goes in the blue bin, I guess now when the blue bin's full it'll go in the green bin. The City can sort it out on their end as far as I'm concerned.

Not that'll it happen here but other places within even Alberta have specific bylaw officers that'll do random spot checks on a household's black/blue/green bins and fines will be levied if a household is placing items in the wrong bin.

In Calgary, it would probably be even a bit easier as all of the bins are numbered and most likely registered to the household they were initially delivered to and the waste services trucks most likely have cameras that are capable of recording these numbers as well as what is coming out of the bins.

If separating waste means cost savings realized through extending a landfill's lifetime plus selling some of the resulting sorted products or products (compost), then it's not a bad thing for tax payers. What I'm not pleased about is an additional fee on my bill to support these initiatives but that seems to be the way of the world in big business - surtaxes on our electricity bills, our gas bills, on our automobile repair bills, etc.

Another annoyance us that we've had a couple of composters going for 20+ years and to now have to pay for a green bin seems unfair but at the same time, our house and yard produces more compost than we can use so I guess the green bin is a way of getting rid of some of this excess.

Old Post 04-22-2017 03:43 PM
speedog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for speedog Click here to Send speedog a Private Message Find more posts by speedog Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rx7_turbo2
First Gear

What I drive:

quote:

Originally posted by speedog
In Calgary, it would probably be even a bit easier as all of the bins are numbered and most likely registered to the household they were initially delivered to and the waste services trucks most likely have cameras that are capable of recording these numbers as well as what is coming out of the bins.

Swap my bins with my neighbors, got it, thanks!

Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?

Toma the homophobe?

Old Post 04-22-2017 03:52 PM
rx7_turbo2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rx7_turbo2 Click here to Send rx7_turbo2 a Private Message Find more posts by rx7_turbo2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
speedog
Second Gear

What I drive:

quote:

Swap my bins with my neighbors, got it, thanks!

And if your neighbor gets a visit from bylaw, exactly how long do you figure it would take your neighbor and bylaw to figure things out?

Old Post 04-22-2017 04:21 PM
tirebob
Forum Sponsor

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.39
Trader Rating: (33)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

Garbarators will be next on the hit list, just watch. They cause a huge increase in the costs of processing the water returning to the system. I know many places have bylaws that ban them in new builds and it is only increasing. Landfills are going the way of the dinosaur too, hence the reason the cities are trying to remove as much weight and volume from the waste stream as possible.

Old Post 04-22-2017 04:50 PM
tirebob is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tirebob Click here to Send tirebob a Private Message Find more posts by tirebob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Darell_n
First Gear

What I drive: '14 Dodge Crew Cab, '08 WRX
Posts/Day: 0.33
Trader Rating: (0)

quote:

Originally posted by tirebob
Garbarators will be next on the hit list, just watch. They cause a huge increase in the costs of processing the water returning to the system. I know many places have bylaws that ban them in new builds and it is only increasing. Landfills are going the way of the dinosaur too, hence the reason the cities are trying to remove as much weight and volume from the waste stream as possible.

The biomass is (will be) used to generate electricity at for the city of Calgary.

Old Post 04-22-2017 06:50 PM
Darell_n is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Darell_n Click here to Send Darell_n a Private Message Visit Darell_n's homepage! Find more posts by Darell_n Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rx7_turbo2
First Gear

What I drive:

quote:

Originally posted by speedog
And if your neighbor gets a visit from bylaw, exactly how long do you figure it would take your neighbor and bylaw to figure things out?

My comment was mostly in jest.

What's the rule on bags beside your black bin? I have a few neighbors who pile bags beside their bins, truck operator always gets out and hand tosses them in. Is that standard procedure or just a nice operator?

As for the garburator. They'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands

Toma the homophobe?

Old Post 04-22-2017 10:34 PM
Tik-Tok
Cowboy Hunter

What I drive: Japanese functionality, Swedish style.
Posts/Day: 1.55
Trader Rating: (12)
User Rating: 101%

quote:

What's the rule on bags beside your black bin? I have a few neighbors who pile bags beside their bins, truck operator always gets out and hand tosses them in. Is that standard procedure or just a nice operator?

They're supposed to get out and collect them. Mine only does it 1 in 3 times.

Old Post 04-22-2017 10:39 PM
Tik-Tok is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Tik-Tok Click here to Send Tik-Tok a Private Message Find more posts by Tik-Tok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 03:25 AM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Society / Law / Current Events / Politics > Green cart for compost goes live (was trial)

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: