Quantcast
Green cart for compost goes live (was trial) - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Green cart for compost goes live (was trial)

My Ride
    21 CX5 GT Turbo

Originally posted by Aleks

So with the green bin if you're not allowed plastic bags or food containers how do you dump the food scraps in there? paper bags? just dump the garbage bag out from your house into it?
    There is a container that comes with the green bin that you can store under your sink. I believe it was CBC article talking about the green bins mentioned it.

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    I almost always mulch and I have some of the greenest and lushest grass on the block

Only exception is if the lawn gets too lawn and I start getting clumps... so maybe once or twice a year I bag
    I will have to give it a try. Currently I have been doing 10-14 day cuts, so I will switch to weekly and then do a smaller cut. Just need to make sure my blade is still sharp.

Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

Does council seriously think that compostable waste makes up 50% of our garbage? We don't absolutely need weekly garbage pickups, but it's really nice for those weeks where you end up with a bunch of unrecyclable packing materials to throw out.

Of course there's no opt-out for folks like us who have been doing our own composting for ages and have literally zero use for the green bins.
    I won't lie there's been a few times (usually around the holidays) where I end up with a bunch of Styrofoam packing lying around in the garage waiting for the next pick up but that's a rare occurrence.

I had the same reaction as most of you here when I found out my area was a Calgary test area but after a couple months we adapted. One tip is to clear our your in house compost bin daily or it will smell.

Does council seriously think that compostable waste makes up 50% of our garbage? We don't absolutely need weekly garbage pickups, but it's really nice for those weeks where you end up with a bunch of unrecyclable packing materials to throw out.

Of course there's no opt-out for folks like us who have been doing our own composting for ages and have literally zero use for the green bins.
    It isn't 50% of the volume of your garbage. It is 50% of the weight, which makes a huge difference in tipping fees, and I can say this is true (on average). I have seen the actual scale numbers for our city (Airdrie). It does count on people recycling everything that is organics compostable.

Even if you're already composting at home, the city green bins accept more stuff that you wouldn't put into your own compost so you'll still be able to take advantage.

I moved out of Cougar Ridge (one of the pilot communities) and while I wasn't enthusiastic about the green bin program it works out well with the reduced black bin pick up. Most of our stuff went into either the blue or green bins. My biggest issue was lack of space to store 3 bins. I ended up putting the green bin on my deck and just dumped the mini compost bin into the larger green bin every night.
    ---

Originally posted by kenny

Even if you're already composting at home, the city green bins accept more stuff that you wouldn't put into your own compost so you'll still be able to take advantage.

I moved out of Cougar Ridge (one of the pilot communities) and while I wasn't enthusiastic about the green bin program it works out well with the reduced black bin pick up. Most of our stuff went into either the blue or green bins. My biggest issue was lack of space to store 3 bins. I ended up putting the green bin on my deck and just dumped the mini compost bin into the larger green bin every night.
    Absolutely right! What can go in organics is not simply kitchen scraps...

Copied from Airdies website for information...

What can go in the green cart? Likely a lot more than you think!

fruits and vegetables
    meat, fish, shellfish and bones
    egg shells and dairy products
    bread, pasta, rice, beans and grains
    coffee filters, coffee grounds and tea bags
    fast food packaging such as hamburger wrappers, french fry boxes, bags etc.
    sauces, salad dressings, cooking oils and jams
    grass clippings, leaves and plants
    branches and prunings
    soiled paper plates, napkins and paper towels
    soiled pizza boxes
    wax coated paper products
    disposable paper coffee cups (no plastic lids)
    tooth picks, Popsicle sticks, chopsticks
    paper microwave popcorn bags (some brands have plastic built into the bag. Be sure the whole bag is paper before putting it in your green cart)
    pet hair and human hair
    Kleenex - if it does not contain any human waste
    dryer lint
    butcher paper
    parchment paper
    paper flour and sugar bags
    paper dog food bags

What can NOT go in the green cart?

plastic bags (garbage bags, grocery store plastic bags)
    foam cups, containers and packaging
    plastic containers
    pet waste/litter
    diapers/ baby wipes
    Kleenex, paper towel or toilet paper with human waste of any kind (as it is a bio hazard)
    weeds (to prevent the spread of noxious weeds)
    q-tips (contain bodily waste (ear wax) and have a plastic coating)
    Last edited by tirebob; 05-31-2016 at 12:19 PM.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

An interesting trend of people liking it from experience vs. hating it from inexperience.

I really do love this place
    Ultracrepidarian

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 05:48 PM.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Oh good, the only thing I might actually put in a green cart is apparently not allowed
    We aren't Airdrie.

http://www.calgary.ca/UEP/WRS/Pages/...reen-Cart.aspx

Yeah weeds better be allowed. Proper composting kills the seeds.

Originally posted by Neil4Speed

Based on?....

He isn't Dave Bronconnier
    Based on Seth1968, duh.

So you're saying none of Nenshi's friends benefit from his tenure in office?

Go look up Bunk at CP. Donated to his campaign, got a job at the city a few months later.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by FraserB

You can get some pretty big contractor grade garbage bags. Not my problem if the garbage man isn't strong enough to lift 60lbs of stuff that has been triple bagged.
    It actually is, they won't pick it up if its too heavy, it's a liability issue for the company doing garbage collection.

Also, maybe I don't quite get it, but don't compost-able materials, ya know, decompose when in a garbage dump?

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by kenny

Yeah, I've already been over the list of what you can put in the green bin. I'm sure it'll be useful for some folks, but it's a total waste of space and money for us. ~95% of what little food waste we produce is composted or garborated. Lawn is mulched, not bagged and our yard waste is near-zero apart from a few twigs from pruning once or twice per year.

Seriously, they're going to send a truck to empty our green bin with a couple of cat turds rolling around the bottom of it. It's not a terrible program, in theory, but for those of us who already go to great lengths to reduce their compostable garbage output it feels like a pretty unnecessary tax.

It isn't 50% of the volume of your garbage. It is 50% of the weight, which makes a huge difference in tipping fees, and I can say this is true (on average). I have seen the actual scale numbers for our city (Airdrie). It does count on people recycling everything that is organics compostable.
    I would be fucking shocked if anywhere near 50% of disposal mass ever gets put in the green bins, but I suppose we'll find out. Reducing black-bin pickup is just going to have people tossing their regular garbage in the green bin anyway.

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

Also, maybe I don't quite get it, but don't compost-able materials, ya know, decompose when in a garbage dump?
    Very poorly, it's pretty much anaerobic in most dumps and composting requires oxygen to work.

Originally posted by HiTempguy1
    Not really. No oxygen. Methane is produced deep within as a result.

Originally posted by suntan
    Not really. No oxygen. Methane is produced deep within as a result.
    Beat me to it. When I worked in waste and recycling a few years back the garbage from black bins gets tossed into the landfill and packed down tight not allowing much oxygen. However when we would go to drop off compostables (from the leave/pumpkin pickups) that waste would be lined up in rows and "fluffed" up rather then packed down.
    Originally posted by Modelexis
    If I have questions about my phone bill, I don't post it on beyond, I call telus.
    Originally posted by D911
    worst part is definitely when the dudes smacking it with his dick like that inside out anus owes his dick some money.
    the crap you find when you dig through ask leo

My Ride
    Z

Fucking hate the green bins. No chance I'm composting, it smells like shit and I'm not doing the extra step. So weeds and grass go in it. And then into the black bin when the green one is full. Really wish I could opt out and just have weekly garbage pickup. I hated it when it started 3 years ago and I still hate it
    Z32 TT
    1996 Integra - winter beater with studs - RIP (deer)
    2002 WRX - to be sold
    2010 sti - winter

My Ride
    Bicycle

I don't think I'll use green bin much other than lawn clippings.

Majority of what green bin will take already goes down the drain after garburator.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 05:47 PM.

Seriously, they're going to send a truck to empty our green bin with a couple of cat turds rolling around the bottom of it. It's not a terrible program, in theory, but for those of us who already go to great lengths to reduce their compostable garbage output it feels like a pretty unnecessary tax.

I would be fucking shocked if anywhere near 50% of disposal mass ever gets put in the green bins, but I suppose we'll find out. Reducing black-bin pickup is just going to have people tossing their regular garbage in the green bin anyway.

Don't get me wrong... It would require someone be very diligent to extract a full 50% of their garbage weight out for organics, but the fact is if you break it down, that is the average.

Costs, with tipping fees being what they are for general garbage, and the cost for contractors to recycle organics, there is a net savings in fees. Again, how your costs are distributed to residents in Calgary may be different than in Airdrie where we are, but for us it results in a net saving to the tax base, and that is only improving even more as time goes on with the continued rise in regular tipping fees. We do not pay for disposal in our taxes and it is actually a charge on our utilities based on previous years cost. It is not subsidized by taxes etc...

My Ride
    Bicycle

BTW, do we get free compost as part of this program?

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 15 ... LastLast