Quantcast
Hardwood vs engineered hardwood vs laminate wood vs tile flooring - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Hardwood vs engineered hardwood vs laminate wood vs tile flooring

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Default Hardwood vs engineered hardwood vs laminate wood vs tile flooring

What's everyone's opinion on flooring materials in a house with a larger dog.

Have real hardwood now, we're super careful and it's already getting beat up with only a small cat in the house just from moving stuff around or dropping stuff. Can only imagine the damage a dog or kids would cause on this floor.

With that in mind in a new build that comes standard with hardwood through entire main floor, would swapping that out for tile or laminate floor be stupid? I just don't want to deal with damaged, scratched and dented hardwood again.

Tile would probably be an upgrade, laminate probably a cost savings.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

I'd be going hardwood personally. If (when) it gets damaged, you can always refinish it or offer an allowance during sale to cover refinishing.

Tile throughout the house doesn't seem like it would be warmest floor and I think a lot of buyers would see laminate as a downgrade. Not sure if you can refinish engineered hardwood, back when I was selling it it seemed that the top layer was quite thin and wouldn't refinish well.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Base spec is actually engineered hardwood. Not sure if it's comparable or more expensive then regular hardwood. And not sure if it can even be refinished.

Engineered was an upgrade from spec hardwood for me and we have a small dog. He's already marked it up quite a bit. As far as I know it is possible to refinish it once at the most as it is quite thin. Heat the floors and use tile that looks like wood?

My Ride
    '21 F150 Lariat Nardo Grey

Solid hardwood! As FraserB mentioned, if it gets damaged or you get bored of the look you can refinish it. Do you know what kind of finish you got on your current floor? I've always used Bona Traffic. It's $$$ but it protects the wood like no other. My kids drop and drag their toys across the floor and all I have is surface scuffs. Helps that I went with a matte finish so unless your laying on the floor you wouldn't notice it.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Personally, I wouldn't do any of these. And I didn't.

In our current house, our main is a lot of tile and some carpet. It made some level of sense at the time because tiling the kitchen, dining, front foyer and mudroom was going to end up durable for the dog we ended up getting. But with just the great room carpeted, it does make for a rather cold environment.

We are building another house now, and I was faced with the same question. And we went with vinyl plank.

Warm. Reasonably priced. Easy on the feet. Waterproof. Sound reducing. And way more durable to dogs claws than hardwood. No, its not quite as nice as real hardwood but its come a real long way from its roots. And because it can be used in almost every room, you can generally do your entire main floor in the stuff and maintain perfect continuity throughout.

Check it out.
    Last edited by Kloubek; 01-21-2017 at 07:47 PM.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

We will consider LVT. I'm familiar with it but at the end of the day it's just linoleum tiles. I've used it on several clients multifamily project to varying degrees of success.

I want to consider resale (even though we'd be setting up shop for a while, maybe forever) but the wood look tile is pretty slick stuff. More premium then LVT but with the downside of feeing cold and being rock hard.

Hardwood just seems like a colossal waste of money. So we live with scratched floors only to have to refinish when/if we sell in the future. Seems so silly haha.

Be like Rage:

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by C_Dave45
    Be like Rage:
    Didn't your kid do this too, after you guys did my kitchen? I'd love to do my entire main floor in it.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I was going to post about this but didn't have pics handy. This floor is the shit. Everyone seeing it for the first time loves the hardwood until I explain its tile. We even kept one extra one to show people that ask (mostly I've been lazy to move it haha).

It's awesome that the kids rip around drifting in their power wheels and push cars. I had to wipe off some tread marks once and that's the extent of the maintenance.

And ya after the youngest grows up a little more, probably going to do the whole house as well as replace the old tile.

And of course, Dave is awesome.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Baller: Heated tile
    Best diy: distressed hardwood, sand, attack with chains and other things, refinish with a tougher finish than just stain... probably will be what I do when I can't stand these floors anymore... which won't be long. Dogs do a number on real wood

Engineered is just a veneer of wood, so useless for refinishing

Laminate is bulletproof if you can stand it... I'd only install it in a sub $400k-ish place though

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

What rage has is exactly what I was thinking! Is it heated?

Originally posted by rage2
    I was going to post about this but didn't have pics handy. This floor is the shit. Everyone seeing it for the first time loves the hardwood until I explain its tile. We even kept one extra one to show people that ask (mostly I've been lazy to move it haha).

It's awesome that the kids rip around drifting in their power wheels and push cars. I had to wipe off some tread marks once and that's the extent of the maintenance.

And ya after the youngest grows up a little more, probably going to do the whole house as well as replace the old tile.

And of course, Dave is awesome.
    Must have been $$$ as you're eating SPAM. Dave and the tile are worth it! It sure looks like wood. Unlike some other options discussed for flooring, your tile is a real bonus for decades and resale.

Baller move for someone will be in doing the garage. Heated of course.
    Last edited by Tenkara Way; 01-21-2017 at 11:35 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Mines not heated but that certainly is an option. My basement is developed and warm. Doesn't feel cold at all.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Rage or Dave, any chance you know the manufacture/model number for that tile? Or roughly what the material cost on that tile was?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Don't really remember, I'll have to see if I can dig it up. The cost was something like 20% more expensive than the hardwood we had looked into per sqft, but that's not really helping you as hardwood and tile prices are all over the map. I do remember though, you get what you pay for. There's hardwood style tile at Rona, it's cheap but it looks and feels like crap. Dave pointed me to a few places that sells the higher quality tile, and I went around walking barefoot on samples for a day and ended up choosing the more expensive stuff.

My Ride
    A250

Originally posted by rage2
    Don't really remember, I'll have to see if I can dig it up. The cost was something like 20% more expensive than the hardwood we had looked into per sqft, but that's not really helping you as hardwood and tile prices are all over the map. I do remember though, you get what you pay for. There's hardwood style tile at Rona, it's cheap but it looks and feels like crap. Dave pointed me to a few places that sells the higher quality tile, and I went around walking barefoot on samples for a day and ended up choosing the more expensive stuff.
    Interested as well, that tile looks amazing.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Rages' floor looks almost exactly like our vinyl plank we have in our bathrooms right now (will do the rest of the house the same).

Its cheap, non-organic (will never warp or expand due to moisture) and comes with tape/glue to self stick. Super tough and warmer than laminate or tile (as vinyl is a slight insulator). Very scratch resistant but softer than tile so dropped objects wont shatter and kids falling wont suffer as much.

One almost wonders why bother with anything else Putting anything organic on the floors in areas with moisture potential (kitchen/bath) is silly.

Here is a link to something similar ....

https://www.lowes.ca/vinyl-flooring/..._g2379223.html
    Last edited by revelations; 01-23-2017 at 11:23 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Timbertown has a decent selection of the vinyl plank floors. Recently has it installed in my moms kitchen, and shes been getting compliments on it. Having it 100% waterproof was a big thing, she was worried about durability of the "traditional" laminates if spills or leaks occurred.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Silverado

my parents have oak hardwood, raised 4 kids, 4 grandkids, dogs, and cats. the floor still looks great.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast