Quantcast
Has your office/company laid people off or is it picking up? PART 7 (Redesigned Poll) - Page 9 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: What is your/the current employment status

Voters
197. You may not vote on this poll
  • I was laid off and haven't found work yet

20 10.15%
  • I was laid off and found new employment in the same industry

13 6.60%
  • I was laid off and found new employment in a different industry

15 7.61%
  • I survived the downturn with the same company

114 57.87%
  • I quit my job and went elsewhere (expand in comments)

12 6.09%
  • It's not over. We're all fucked, me included!

16 8.12%
  • other

7 3.55%
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Has your office/company laid people off or is it picking up? PART 7 (Redesigned Poll)

My Ride
    Left at 5pm

Originally posted by Xtrema

Depends on the company, antics like that may actually go far.
    100%. You gotta know your environment, but being able to speak up and be outspoken, as well as throw a bit of humor into it and speak to these people as if they were actually people will go far.
    Originally posted by scat19
    I have a BMW so im not stupid.

Not even sure if there is a Calgary office, but just wanted to post a non O&G job cut; 1500 across Canada.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/grea...offs-1.4084179

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Originally posted by XylathaneGTR
    Yes (to senior management) and no (to being high). Guess the place I work with has a bit of a better environment than yours?
    I doubt it. I just wouldnt waste my executives time with a 'slip trip fall' safety moment. Unless you are working as a gardener process safety is much more important than personal safety. But good on you for trying to brown nose with a useless story, i bet you are pegged for the next promotion now!

PS: why did you edit your post? I quoted it so everyone can see your original ingenious story

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

We just hired (re-hired) someone we let go back in early 2016 in my group.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    V8s

Originally posted by riander5

I doubt it. I just wouldnt waste my executives time with a 'slip trip fall' safety moment. Unless you are working as a gardener process safety is much more important than personal safety. But good on you for trying to brown nose with a useless story, i bet you are pegged for the next promotion now!

PS: why did you edit your post? I quoted it so everyone can see your original ingenious story
    Do you think executives are gods or something? They're normal people like we are. I've been in countless meetings with VPs, and depending on the meeting, that stupid cat story would work just fine for a safety moment. Most of us work in offices.. when you have 5-6 meetings a day, sometimes you have to get creative with safety moments

edit: Add another thing to the list of things that I appreciate about moving into an industry that doesn't necessarily require a safety moment for every meeting.
    Last edited by bjstare; 04-26-2017 at 02:05 PM.

Originally posted by cjblair

Do you think executives are gods or something? They're normal people like we are. I've been in countless meetings with VPs, and depending on the meeting, that stupid cat story would work just fine for a safety moment. Most of us work in offices.. when you have 5-6 meetings a day, sometimes you have to get creative with safety moments

edit: Add another thing to the list of things that I appreciate about moving into an industry that doesn't necessarily require a safety moment for every meeting.
    Ha. My company based in Houston has town hall meetings via skype regularly. Well we also do the safety moments to start our meetings.

One of our recent ones, hosted by the CEO, did the safety moment. Guess what he used?

The cat story.

Anyone who comments on that being inappropriate is so full of themselves its hilarious.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-17-2019 at 05:31 PM.

My work has not been affected. I am working tons of OT and there will be nothing but more OT in the coming months. Construction industry seems to be really booming. I am constantly seeing guys working on the ring road on Sundays as well as the overpasses work they are doing in the shawnessy area...

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

With smaller meetings we all look at each other, then the door.... then agree to not do it, but say we did. haha

Although I do enjoy meeting that start like this:

Meeting Guy "OK, let's get down to business..."

Some Guy "What about the safety moment"

Meeting Guy "Oh right... Well, I think that is a fine idea... please give us a safety moment Random Guy"

Random Guy: "Ummm uhhhh... so.... I fell off a ladder once"

Meeting Guy "And we can all agree that next time you need to be more careful.... so, back to the meeting"
    Haha, yah we have to do a safety moment with every daily toolbox meeting. Usually something like falling off a ladder, or slipping/tripping. It's all alright.

We also have a weekly safety meeting and everybody gets a turn at being a speaker. I recently did mine on risk management followed by a PSA of the benefits of the zipper merge which was followed by a 1.5 hour discussion over idiot drivers. Hahaha. It was awesome! I love talking about traffic safety in safety meetings!
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    Bicycle

http://calgaryherald.com/business/en...lberta-workers

ConocoPhillips letting go 300 after sale to Cenovus.

My Ride
    G6

I heard Conoco's gonna have less than a couple hundred people left in Calgary. That's down from a few thousand in the good years!

My Ride
    Exploded.

Yikes. That's inevitable though; duplication of work.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-17-2019 at 05:45 PM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    I wonder if this is it for the oil boom times?
    I think everybody is announcing profits and better outlook. So things are looking up.

Now I don't think we are running as lean as could be yet. I expect another 500-800 coming out of the 3000 that being transfer to CNRL from Shell. But being CNRL, you will never hear about it.

And who know how many from Conoco going to Cenovus will eventually be deem redundant.

Originally posted by Xtrema

I think everybody is announcing profits and better outlook. So things are looking up.
    Basically, service companies are raising their rates very quickly and the profits will be sucked up by them.

Frac costs going up by $20K by the day it seems.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Considering you had to do unholy things to get a CTU or cementing guys all winter it's about time... I'm not for service guys gouging but how long did we think we were going to get discounted services while these guys bleed cash quarter after quarter?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Exploded.

I wanna know what job I need to get so I can buy AMG.

I WANNA KNOW! SHARE ME YOUR SECRETZ

I think the statement for most producers went,
    They made more cash flow when oil was $80 than when it was $100. Solely due to gouging on prices by service companies.
    It's all simple economics.

Services cannot "suck up the profits" and it's laughable for you to think that. The only way for the oil business to work is that the oil company makes the greatest ROI and Companies will stop drilling again if services jump back to 2014 prices. No E&P is going to invest at a loss. Added to this that a large portion (I would say half) of investment into our basin comes from companies with operations elsewhere. If Canadian service companies get greedy again they will just cripple the Canadian business as money will flow elsewhere. That will bring us back to square 1...

Originally posted by Type_S1
    Services cannot "suck up the profits" and it's laughable for you to think that. The only way for the oil business to work is that the oil company makes the greatest ROI and Companies will stop drilling again if services jump back to 2014 prices. No E&P is going to invest at a loss. Added to this that a large portion (I would say half) of investment into our basin comes from companies with operations elsewhere. If Canadian service companies get greedy again they will just cripple the Canadian business as money will flow elsewhere. That will bring us back to square 1...
    They do suck up the short term cash flow. We've committed to projects, everyone does, it's called a budget. Costs suddenly start to go up from what we've budgeted. Projects very quickly move to negative cash flow, etc.

Producer pays it for the short term, meanwhile projects get halted and services suddenly find themselves sitting around again. That's what I mean they suck up the profit.

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 ... LastLast