Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Computers, Consoles, and other Electronics > Help me pick my daughter's first laptop.

Author
Thread
ZenOps
Neutral

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.08
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

Its a good choice.

Side note:

Looking at the new Windows 10 "S", looks like Microsoft is going forward with an operating system that totally destroys the entire concept of open x86 software. The "S" version only allows installation of Windows store apps.

Ouch.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-05-2017 12:01 PM
ZenOps is online now Click Here to See the Profile for ZenOps Click here to Send ZenOps a Private Message Find more posts by ZenOps Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

killramos
Third Gear

What I drive: C63S
Posts/Day: 1.12
Trader Rating: (2)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

I'm honestly surprised they still sell laptops with HDD's...

Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.

Originally posted by Toma
fact.

Old Post 05-05-2017 02:00 PM
killramos is online now Click Here to See the Profile for killramos Click here to Send killramos a Private Message Find more posts by killramos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mitsu3000gt
E-Gear Paddle Shifter

What I drive: 2017 Civic Hatch ST
Posts/Day: 1.80
Trader Rating: (28)
User Rating: 93%

quote:

Originally posted by killramos

500GB and 1TB HDD's are extremely common in almost all sub-$1000 laptops. The surprising part is that people still buy them, since most people don't know the difference and just buy on size, so manufacturers keep offering it. Just looking at Memory Express, filtering all their laptops by SSD, out of ~48 results, there are only a handful under $1000 with an SSD and they are junk except for 2 of them.

Old Post 05-05-2017 08:36 PM
Mitsu3000gt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mitsu3000gt Click here to Send Mitsu3000gt a Private Message Find more posts by Mitsu3000gt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mitsu3000gt
E-Gear Paddle Shifter

What I drive: 2017 Civic Hatch ST
Posts/Day: 1.80
Trader Rating: (28)
User Rating: 93%

quote:

Originally posted by ZenOps
Its a good choice.

Side note:

Looking at the new Windows 10 "S", looks like Microsoft is going forward with an operating system that totally destroys the entire concept of open x86 software. The "S" version only allows installation of Windows store apps.

Ouch.

You can upgrade W10S to W10 Pro either for free or for $49 USD, depending on how much you paid for the PC. They are aimed at education, where the similar Chromebooks already have a huge market share. Each app runs in it's own little quarantine for maximum security, but any program will work on it if it is presented in Windows App format. The biggest downsides to W10S for 'normal' users are you can only use Edge and you can't change your default homepage to anything other than Bing. If you want to use it as a 'normal' PC, just click the button for Windows 10 - it's pretty reasonable. Microsoft has provided full optionality which was smart IMO.

Last edited by Mitsu3000gt on 05-05-2017 at 08:42 PM

Old Post 05-05-2017 08:39 PM
Mitsu3000gt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mitsu3000gt Click here to Send Mitsu3000gt a Private Message Find more posts by Mitsu3000gt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
revelations
Third Gear

What I drive: 2g Eclipse / EP3
Posts/Day: 0.99
Trader Rating: (5)
User Rating: 98%

quote:

Originally posted by killramos

Its a corporate profit desicion only. Nothing else matters.

SSDs in laptops should be STANDARD across the board. Almost no one will fill up a 250GB laptop unless they torrent movies.

SSDs in a laptop mean:

- better battery life (10-20%)
- better impact resistance (major cause of HDD failures in laptops - hard handling)
- 10x faster boot times and general loadup

Old Post 05-05-2017 09:36 PM
revelations is offline Click Here to See the Profile for revelations Click here to Send revelations a Private Message Find more posts by revelations Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ZenOps
Neutral

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.08

quote:

I do like that the low end laptops tend to have SSD (even in the form of eMMC)

I mean, you can always add something like a Sandisk Ultra fit on USB 3 and it will probably still outperform a spinny drive.

That, and no noise too.

Old Post 05-06-2017 03:56 PM
ZenOps is online now Click Here to See the Profile for ZenOps Click here to Send ZenOps a Private Message Find more posts by ZenOps Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Seth1968
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.36

quote:

Originally posted by revelations

Its a corporate profit desicion only. Nothing else matters.

SSDs in laptops should be STANDARD across the board. Almost no one will fill up a 250GB laptop unless they torrent movies.

That's right.

Take 2 laptops that are no different other than 1 has a 1000 GB spin drive, and the other a 250GB SSD. Almost all people will choose the former even though the latter is a much better choice. People aren't aware of the difference and always think "more is better".

Old Post 05-06-2017 05:33 PM
Seth1968 is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Seth1968 Click here to Send Seth1968 a Private Message Find more posts by Seth1968 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jwslam
Second Gear

What I drive: is easy to spot
Posts/Day: 0.44
Trader Rating: (61)
User Rating: 96%

quote:

Originally posted by Seth1968
That's right.

Take 2 laptops that are no different other than 1 has a 1000 GB spin drive, and the other a 250GB SSD. Almost all people will choose the former even though the latter is a much better choice. People aren't aware of the difference and always think "more is better".

People take the 1TB because it's bigger AND cheaper

Old Post 05-06-2017 11:41 PM
jwslam is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jwslam Click here to Send jwslam a Private Message Find more posts by jwslam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 01:38 AM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Computers, Consoles, and other Electronics > Help me pick my daughter's first laptop.

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: