Quantcast
HiFi Stereo Setup Thread - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: HiFi Stereo Setup Thread

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    I've got a pair of older Monitor 5's and they are incredible for the price paid. Not the prettiest speakers but better than a lot of speakers that now cost 2-3X as much IMHO. Paradigm has always delivered huge bang for the buck. We have some older Studio 80's as well which would be tough to match today at double the price. I've got a newer pair of Studio 20v5's in my HT too which have been great.
    I really thought the Studio 100's in the V2 were supurb... V3 onward, Paradigm introduced the signature series and as such I felt they didn't invest in the drivers in the Studio; focusing on balancing their premier line

Originally posted by r3ccOs

I really thought the Studio 100's in the V2 were supurb... V3 onward, Paradigm introduced the signature series and as such I felt they didn't invest in the drivers in the Studio; focusing on balancing their premier line
    We actually preferred the Studio 80v2's to the 100v2's, we demo'd them both expecting to buy the 100's and got the 80's. Couldn't really go wrong though. The Studio line never really got anything other than glowing reviews until they stopped it after v5 in favor of the Prestige line (which I have not heard yet). The Signature line is phenomenal, at the level of the S8's you're basically in the "best speakers in the world" segment, where the sky is the limit for the price and 100% personal preference takes over. Also the SUB1 and SUB2 Not that I can afford any of that

I've also heard some Ascend Acoustics 3-way Sierra towers with the reference ribbon tweeter upgrade and they are unreal.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 10-29-2016 at 08:02 PM.

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

This thread makes me so happy.... Thats all I have to add to this haha.

Its interesting my dad is using some Studio 80's V2 as his rears, I want him to move them up front and demo them after reading this thread.
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

My Ride
    M5 Competition

I haven't heard anything remotely close to my Klipsch setup.

I've demoed the Paradigm Studio series and they don't hold a candle to the Klipsch Reference line.

Last edited by 89coupe; 10-30-2016 at 09:46 PM.

Originally posted by 89coupe
    I haven't heard anything remotely close to my Klipsch setup.

I've demoed the Paradigm Studio series and they don't hold a candle to the Klipsch Reference line.

very pretty

of all the opinions that you have, on almost all matters... not so much unlike me...

I think I'd disagree with this one as much as everyone has in regards to Inrich's "fully loaded" statements, about his extended cab truck.

From a visceral perspective; without a doubt horn loaded tweeters and big drivers will give you thump; especially if you have a well extended subwoofer.

your statement maybe valid if stated if you are referring to a setup in the same "price point"; as yes those speakers and a decent Marantz receiver is very good performing at a great value.

*I've had a very similar receiver (an old Marantz 8500) of which the amplification (not processing) circuitry remains similar to this day; and have had powered some very efficient and powerful Mirage OM-14's, Energy Veritas and later Vandersteens to "reasonable" potential

I've since moved to adcom power and classe processing; and never looked back.*

but to say that the Studio series from Paradigm doesn't hold a candle to your Klipsch's... other than SPL there is no way I can agree with that.

Where did you demo and how did you demo those speakers?

The studios would require substantially more quality of amplification than what you have to reach anywhere near its potential... so if you were to say properly use a power source (say even my processing/amplification) to do a double blind test between your the two speakers; there is no way (at least IMO) that the klipsch can keep up.

not to knock your setup as I'm sure its very engaging; but its not like you have class A components, cables, or power conditioning that would be able to power a component like the Paradigm Studio series...

even with that said, the Paradigm studios are nowhere near my type of speaker, but that line does admirably for HT.

Now, if you one up it to the signature; guaranteed with the right components, your Klipsch would sound like an AM/FM radio in a Kia in comparison

but audio is subjective

the BEST setup I've heard to date for Home theatre, is a custom build Tom Danley tapped horn subwoofer and horn loaded yorkville speakers driven by Anthem M1 monoblocks per channel using moon processing.

http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/

cables all custom cryo'd by Morey James... but were mostly blended strands from Kimber and Straightwire.

what is crazy though... is even though ALL this money can be dropped everywhere from a cd player, to cables, dampening cones to shelving, and heck even upgrading connectors (i.e. eichmanns, WBTs, etc..) My stupid simple headphone setup comprising of my HD800's; modded with Cardas cables; connected to a Luxman 700u headphone amp pretty much is still the "best" listening experience I've had to date...

but I never have time to sit at my desk to just listen to headphones;
    Last edited by r3ccOs; 10-30-2016 at 11:27 PM.

We actually preferred the Studio 80v2's to the 100v2's, we demo'd them both expecting to buy the 100's and got the 80's. Couldn't really go wrong though. The Studio line never really got anything other than glowing reviews until they stopped it after v5 in favor of the Prestige line (which I have not heard yet). The Signature line is phenomenal, at the level of the S8's you're basically in the "best speakers in the world" segment, where the sky is the limit for the price and 100% personal preference takes over. Also the SUB1 and SUB2 Not that I can afford any of that

I've also heard some Ascend Acoustics 3-way Sierra towers with the reference ribbon tweeter upgrade and they are unreal.
    I remember listening to a set of Studio 40 V3's and was quite impressed... it was paired to I believe a sunfire sub at the time (I'm a fan of Bob Carver)

in fact... I'd say that they were the most transparent of the studio line (including the Studio 20's as they had no bottom end to cross over properly)...

I'm actually a fan of the little bit bigger than bookshelf monitor type speakers, as I find the speed and transparency more engaging.
    less drivers tend to be far less directional and gives a more holographic presentation.

I was actually impressed with the latest line of Axiom M22's (v4s I think) coupled to a cheap but good HSU subwoofer.

Pretty sure it was driven off a simple integrated from Outlaw audio(RR 2150) and basic Kimber cabling.

it was quite dynamic, detailed, and also very holographic.
    probably was very impressed with the balance with the HSU sub... smooth and punchy and it could really get "loud"

that setup is relatively affordable and may fit in the OP's cost if 2 channel is his objective.

if you are looking at new, I really wouldn't write off Axiom; they make Bryston's model T, and boy that is actually a very sweet speaker.

edit... this is ridiculous.. Hawks are great speakers (I think Seas or peerless drivers) & a very good sub...

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-stereo-system...ationFlag=true

spend some good money on a set of used separates, as the hawks can be a struggle to drive.... I don't think even the best integrated from Moon, Naim, Rega, or even Mcintosh (cept the MA8000) can extract the best out of the hawks. Even though they aren't the Forest or Model 1 (which definitely require separates) the Haws are very picky on the quality of the amplifcation
    Last edited by r3ccOs; 10-30-2016 at 11:51 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    You need a bigger TV haha. It's dwarfed by all those huge speakers.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Originally posted by rage2

You need a bigger TV haha. It's dwarfed by all those huge speakers.
    Yeh I know, that's a 60" and it looks tiny.

Just waiting for the price of 86" TV's to come down in price.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Originally posted by r3ccOs

I would almost suggest looking at Meridian.

yes they are just "active" speakers... but they are not just active speakers
    https://www.meridian-audio.com/

Off an IPAD running lossless... when I heard the 7000's series at friend's house; I was stunned.

No more looking for components, no more looking for cables, speakers and trying to match them for tonality you will never ever find...

The setup was just synergy... dynamic, musical, punchy, detailed, yet warm

Tons and I mean TONS of spacial imaging in both depth and width

No sibilence, and plenty of SPL without ever changing its characteristics

pretty to boot as well.
    Aren't these speakers $30,000+/pair?
    Ultracrepidarian

b_t is offline b_t is a huge nag (2019 friendly)
    My Ride
    FC3S 10AE / Tacoma

why get a TV at all?

you want to look like a baller and that room has no windows, so why are you messing around with screens that are less than 100"?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Delay no more.

http://us.lemall.com/us/tv/leeco_umax85/index.html

4k, 85", $3999 after rebate.

Not sure when we'll see these in Canada, but LeEco bought out Vizio last year and is selling shit below manufacturing cost this year.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

That room looks like it would be a shame not to use a projector - any reason you're set on a TV? 86" is still probably a bit small for that wall and unless you're buying an OLED, projection will get you a better image as well. I would also bet it's a heck of a lot cheaper than any decent 86" TV.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 10-31-2016 at 09:06 AM.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

That room looks like it would be a shame not to use a projector - any reason you're set on a TV? 86" is still probably a bit small for that wall and unless you're buying an OLED, projection will get you a better image as well. I would also bet it's a heck of a lot cheaper than any decent 86" TV.
    Lazy, lol.

Just haven't seen a projector that looks as good as TV yet. At least not for a reasonable price.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Delay no more.

Not sure when we'll see these in Canada, but LeEco bought out Vizio last year and is selling shit below manufacturing cost this year.
    My buddy is the LG rep for Southern Alberta so I can get some killer pricing, just haven't pulled the trigger.

Just haven't felt the need yet.

Lazy, lol.

Just haven't seen a projector that looks as good as TV yet. At least not for a reasonable price.
    Runco

My Ride
    Exploded.

Delay no more.

CHEEEP

Lazy, lol.

Around the $3500 mark, you can get projectors brighter than any TV and with better blacks than the best Plasmas (RIP Plasma )

http://www.carada.com/default.aspx for your screen and you're all set.

Ceiling mounts are easy, or you can put a shelf at the back of the room.

I don't know the size of that room but you could probably do around 100" and it would be amazing.

The only downside with projectors right now is that we're kind of on the cusp of new lighting solutions (Laser, LED) combined with native 4K and it would be ideal to wait a little bit longer I think.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 10-31-2016 at 09:34 AM.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Around the $3500 mark, you can get projectors brighter than any TV and with better blacks than the best Plasmas (RIP Plasma )

http://www.carada.com/default.aspx for your screen and you're all set.

Ceiling mounts are easy, or you can put a shelf at the back of the room.

I don't know the size of that room but you could probably do around 100" and it would be amazing.

The only downside with projectors right now is that we're kind of on the cusp of new lighting solutions (Laser, LED) combined with native 4K and it would be ideal to wait a little bit longer I think.
    It's already setup for a projector. If you look closely in the first pic you will see two ceiling plates, one for power, one for audio/video.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

SG have you decided on anything?

I totally forgot about the KEF LS50. Haven't heard it yet but everyone raves about this thing!
    Ultracrepidarian

b_t is offline b_t is a huge nag (2019 friendly)
    My Ride
    FC3S 10AE / Tacoma

Any of you guys heard of a store called Radiocrafts before? They are a Klipsch dealer, and they've supposedly been around since 1941, but there is hardly anything about them online.

My subwoofer hunt has been extremely frustrating but I finally found a few recommendations for the Klipsch R-115SW. It looks fucking awesome, giant 15" sub in a ported box, and it's supposed to be basically the only store bought sub that can compete with Internet direct stuff.

Hsu, SVS, PSA, Rythmik, all those guys sound great on paper but I just don't plunk down mass amounts of money on gear without auditioning it first, and shipping is too expensive to grab one of these and send it back

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast