Quantcast
Home water pipes - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Home water pipes

Default Home water pipes

After reading the water softener thread, I got a wondering if anyone that does renovations and such in their home - do they even consider copper water pipes any more?

I ripped out our downstairs bathroom about eight years ago and all the new water pipes I put into the new bathroom were copper. Not one leak since then and personally, I like the symmetry one can get with copper. One has to note though that all the existing water and sewer lines in our home are copper including the main 5" sewer stack.

Never the less, is PEX or whatever it's called the way every one does water pipes these days? Are there advantages PEX has over copper - school me as I'm an old guy that doesn't mind sweating in copper joints.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

I still use copper when I've done reno's. Don't see a need to use pex.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

From a few small jobs I've done - PEX is quicker and the material for long installs no doubt much cheaper.

I've had copper joints leak on me (1 drop per hour) because I didnt use enough flux - so PEX also lends itself more suitable to noobs like myself as its usually an obvious leak, or no leak.

Cheaper. Faster. Better.

Flexible PEX tube is manufactured by extrusion, and shipped and stored on spools, where rigid plastic or metal piping must be cut to some practical length for shipping and storage. This leads to several advantages, including lower shipping and handling costs due to decreased weight and improved storage options.

PEX plumbing installations require fewer fittings than rigid piping. The flexible tubing can turn 90 degree corners without the need for elbow fittings, and PEX tubing unrolled from spools can be installed in long runs without the need for coupling fittings.

Attaching PEX tube to fittings does not require soldering, and so eliminates the health hazards involved with lead-based solder and acid fluxes; PEX is also safer to install since a torch is not needed to make connections..

PEX resists the scale build-up common with copper pipe, and does not pit or corrode when exposed to acidic water.

PEX is much more resistant to freeze-breakage than copper or rigid plastic pipe.

PEX tubing does not transfer heat as readily as copper, and so conserves energy.
    Water flows more quietly through PEX tube, and the characteristic "water hammer" noise of copper pipe systems is virtually eliminated.

PEX plumbing installations cost less because:

PEX is less expensive than copper pipe.
    -Less time is spent running pipe and installing fittings than with rigid pipe systems.
    -Installing fewer fittings reduces the chances for expensive callbacks.

If you have the tools already and it's a small length, I'd still use copper.

Pex if you're running new lines from tanks, etc. Something over 4ft I'd consider long line.

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

i re did my entire place in pex, except behind the shower.. but my place is small haha