Quantcast
How bad are gas ovens? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How bad are gas ovens?

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Default How bad are gas ovens?

I want to replace my old electric stove after noticing that there's a gas line already plumbed in behind it (It's also ugly as hell).

So I'm looking for a freestanding double oven model and they seem to only be available in either a gas cooktop and gas oven OR the electric cooktop and electric oven.

I'd love to get a gas cooktop with a double electric oven, but Kitchenaid is the only company that makes one. (It's about $800 more than any others) The money isn't a huge deal but I'll be redoing the kitchen is 3 or 4 years and don't want to throw a ton of money into a stove/oven that I'll just replace.

The general consensus is that electric is superior, but it's not like we'll be baking quiches and souflette's all day long. We just want to be able to roast some vegetables and a turkey at the same time.

Cliffs: How bad are gas ovens for baking?

My Ride

I find electric ovens are better for browning and broiling, but that aside I don't notice much of a difference at all.

I have the opposit opinion. Growing up we always had an electric oven. When I built my own house I put in a gas oven and would not go back to electric. When cooking or baking with electrick I find things can dry out. Using gas I find they stay much more moist.

im building a house now and i got a gas oven, food tastes better under a fire rather then a red hot plate

It's the process of burning fuel within the oven cavity that adds the moisture... that is actually something a lot of people do not like about gas ovens, hence the availability of 'dual fuel' machines.

I sell a lot of high end cooking product and the desire from actual chefs is to have the electric oven for precise, consistent temperatures and of course, the dry heat source.

If the Kitchenaid dual fuel freestanding double oven is a bit out of the price point for you, then I would just stick to a Frigidaire Gallery/Pro Series all-gas range. This will get you into a nicely equipped machine (full convection, warming drawer, self clean, 5 burner cooktop) at a great price. They come with large ovens and because you are working in a full convection set up, you have the ability to do multiple rack baking with even results.

Let me know if you want additional information.

My Ride

Is there any scientific basis behind the idea that food tastes better in a gas oven? I would think heat is convected the same way? I find that I cant put foil on the bottom of the oven so food always splatters down and burns. Besides that, I find that it takes longer to heat up.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

The average person won't be able to tell the difference between the 2. My wife bakes and does care between the two.

Stay away from KitchenAid, horrible appliances at any price point.

Have used both over the past 4 decades and for your ordinary schmoe, there's not that much difference. Do spend the money on a self cleaning unit as they hold their heat better. As for drying out stuff, we've been using an electric for the past 15 years and turkeys and such come out just as moist as they did from gas ovens we've used in the past - ya just got to know use your noggin a bit.
    Will fuck off, again.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-09-2019 at 12:26 AM.

electric is far from superior...

induction is fast, but I don't like the temp control

Gas is cheap, provides accurate temperature control and "I" prefer a "gas" oven with a convenction option (not electric w/ convection)

I use annodized aluminium to cast iron pans to Staub dutch ovens on the stove top

gas ovens themselves are best for broiling (try french onion soup) and as humidity is a bi-product of gas... it keeps items moist while cooking

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Does Maytag make good ones? Specifically this model; Maytag MGT8885XS
    Vettel's #1

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Gas may cook "better", but electric flat top is much easier to clean up a mess... just a thought. Or maybe I'm the only messy cook on Beyond, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
    Gas may cook "better", but electric flat top is much easier to clean up a mess... just a thought. Or maybe I'm the only messy cook on Beyond, lol.
    Definitely is a lot cleaner. Plus its like another 30" of usable counter space lol.

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
    I agree. Gas stove tops are a PITA to clean.

I switched to ceran top recently and the Vileda Scrunge pads clean it like new.

Originally posted by CapnCrunch
    Does Maytag make good ones? Specifically this model; Maytag MGT8885XS
    Maytag ranges are okay, same parent manufacturer as the KitchenAid line (Whirlpool), so there are some similarities between the two machines in terms of build, features, etc.

Maytag has an induction freestanding range on the market now (YMIR8890AS), quite a nice machine. Big ass 6.2 cu ft oven... couldn't believe the space inside. It uses their 'Aqualift' technology too over the conventional self-clean... 40 min clean cycle using steam @ 200 degrees... it's actually pretty sweet.
    Last edited by masoncgy; 03-01-2012 at 05:31 PM.

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Originally posted by masoncgy

Maytag ranges are okay, same parent manufacturer as the KitchenAid line (Whirlpool), so there are some similarities between the two machines in terms of build, features, etc.

Maytag has an induction freestanding range on the market now (YMIR8890AS), quite a nice machine. Big ass 6.2 cu ft oven... couldn't believe the space inside. It uses their 'Aqualift' technology too over the conventional self-clean... 40 min clean cycle using steam @ 200 degrees... it's actually pretty sweet.
    I'll probably go with an induction when I redo the kitchen.

Originally posted by sputnik

I agree. Gas stove tops are a PITA to clean.

I switched to ceran top recently and the Vileda Scrunge pads clean it like new.

are you guys kidding?
    my electric stove top was brutal... if anything sugary or creamy ever boiled over (which does happen), its like it caramalizes right on the glass

yes... there are sponges and abrasive solutions, but no way was it easier to clean than the gas range

I don't ever clean the cast iron grates, as the oil seasons them, and usually its only grease or bits of food that fall in, anything that gets on the element, well... burns away

^ Wipe up the glass immediately when you spill over on the hot surface and it's much easier to clean up after. I have had three different smooth top ranges in the last 8 years and this is key to keeping it easy to clean & maintain.

You don't have the ability to 'clean as you go' if you spill on the gas cooktop because it falls under the grates.

My wife is the type to spill all over and clean it up after and it drives me crazy because it has the chance to bake on to the surface and thus becomes harder to clean.

In my opinion, the only drawback to the smooth top is the length of time the glass stays hot for after use, other than that, they are fine.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-09-2019 at 02:45 PM.

Originally posted by masoncgy
    ^ Wipe up the glass immediately when you spill over on the hot surface and it's much easier to clean up after. I have had three different smooth top ranges in the last 8 years and this is key to keeping it easy to clean & maintain.

You don't have the ability to 'clean as you go' if you spill on the gas cooktop because it falls under the grates.

My wife is the type to spill all over and clean it up after and it drives me crazy because it has the chance to bake on to the surface and thus becomes harder to clean.

In my opinion, the only drawback to the smooth top is the length of time the glass stays hot for after use, other than that, they are fine.
    Induction is also an option.

Instant heat. Glass top never gets hot.

Best of both worlds.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast