Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Car Forums > General Car/Bike Talk > How high of KMs on an ODO is too high for you when buying used?

Where is the line for you with KMs on the ODO to buy a used car?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
anything with factory / extended warranty 2 1.57%
<60,000kms 13 10.24%
100,000kms 31 24.41%
150,000kms 34 26.77%
200,000kms 21 16.54%
250,000kms 9 7.09%
300,000kms 5 3.94%
>300,000kms 12 9.45%
Total: 127 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Author
Thread
Shlade
Third Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.90
Trader Rating: (18)
User Rating: 96%

quote:

Originally posted by schocker
I think when I bought my volvo it had 190k. I want to say that was probably not the best idea.

Why? Volvos are known to be one of the most reliable vehicles on the road period. You simply can't kill those things unless you never maintain them.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-01-2017 11:54 PM
Shlade is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Shlade Click here to Send Shlade a Private Message Find more posts by Shlade Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

AndyL
Second Gear

What I drive: 4x4
Posts/Day: 0.48
Trader Rating: (9)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

Originally posted by Shlade

Why? Volvos are known to be one of the most reliable vehicles on the road period. You simply can't kill those things unless you never maintain them.

kinda depends on the generation i'd imagine The newer high tech ones - definitely have a bunch of electrical snafus that can crop up.

Old Post 04-02-2017 11:15 PM
AndyL is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AndyL Click here to Send AndyL a Private Message Visit AndyL's homepage! Find more posts by AndyL Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ExtraSlow
Third Gear

What I drive: 2010 Recession Fighter LX
Posts/Day: 1.11
Trader Rating: (27)
User Rating: 101%

quote:

Well, here's a thought expereiment for y'all that fits the OP's topic quite well.

When looking at used vehicles, it's common to find some with vastly different mileages. Particularly pickup trucks. Here's two actualyl pulled from kijiji tonight

Vehicle details are similar enough that they don't matter, let's assume they are same trim and same condition.

2012 Pickup with 300,000 kms listed at $17,900
vs
2012 Pickup with 200,000 kms listed at $21,000

Is that extra 100,000 kms worth the $3100? Would you think it's worth more or less?

Old Post 04-04-2017 04:18 AM
ExtraSlow is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ExtraSlow Click here to Send ExtraSlow a Private Message Find more posts by ExtraSlow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SKR
First Gear

What I drive: Trucks and junk
Posts/Day: 0.21
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

I think they're priced too closely to go with the higher mileage one. I think it would be harder to get back out of it for $18k than the other one at $21k.

It would make the decision easier if they were different colors or conditions, but if they're identical I'd pay a little more.

Old Post 04-04-2017 04:44 AM
SKR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SKR Click here to Send SKR a Private Message Find more posts by SKR Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Type_S1
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.16
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 95%

quote:

I would pay more for the 200 for sure....that is a massive difference. To be honest though list price on Kijiji you can never tell. I've often time got 30%-50% off list price for vehicles on Kijiji for being in the right place/right time so who knows you might get the 200k one cheaper.

Old Post 04-04-2017 05:59 AM
Type_S1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Type_S1 Click here to Send Type_S1 a Private Message Find more posts by Type_S1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
spikerS
Third Gear

What I drive: 2016 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost SCrew FX4
Posts/Day: 0.97
Trader Rating: (44)
User Rating: 103%

quote:

man, for 3100, I would get the lower KM one, especially for you.

You are gonna have a much easier time selling the one with 220k on it than the one with 320k on it.

It's a no brainer to me.

Originally posted by Mibz
Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Old Post 04-04-2017 06:03 AM
spikerS is online now Click Here to See the Profile for spikerS Click here to Send spikerS a Private Message Visit spikerS's homepage! Find more posts by spikerS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
g-m
First Gear

What I drive: Z
Posts/Day: 0.09

quote:

Depends on the car. My Z has 450,000km on it and makes 545whp. My STI has 115k. I wouldn't buy a car with LESS than 80k on it

2010 sti - winter

Old Post 04-04-2017 04:27 PM
g-m is offline Click Here to See the Profile for g-m Click here to Send g-m a Private Message Find more posts by g-m Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ExtraSlow
Third Gear

What I drive: 2010 Recession Fighter LX
Posts/Day: 1.11
Trader Rating: (27)
User Rating: 101%

quote:

Thanks guys. Those particular trucks aren't going to be purchased by me, but something similar may be.

Would you go with the higher mileage one for $5k? $7k?

I know how hard it is to sell a truly high mileage vehicle, after my rodeo with that 400,000 km beast last year. I'm hoping to avoid it. I do find the psychology fascinating though.

Old Post 04-04-2017 05:06 PM
ExtraSlow is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ExtraSlow Click here to Send ExtraSlow a Private Message Find more posts by ExtraSlow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tonytiger55

What I drive: Old Honda
Posts/Day: 0.10

quote:

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Well, here's a thought expereiment for y'all that fits the OP's topic quite well.

When looking at used vehicles, it's common to find some with vastly different mileages. Particularly pickup trucks. Here's two actualyl pulled from kijiji tonight

Vehicle details are similar enough that they don't matter, let's assume they are same trim and same condition.

2012 Pickup with 300,000 kms listed at $17,900
vs
2012 Pickup with 200,000 kms listed at $21,000

Is that extra 100,000 kms worth the $3100? Would you think it's worth more or less?

I guess in this scenario I would pay the extra.
There vehicles are closely matched in price so its almost a no brainier in paying the extra.

But in other scenarios I would also be looking at the person selling the car. If its your regular bro dog or wohoo girl (lower mileage city driving) vs someone who appears to have their life together, has kept a recorded history but has a slightly higher mileage (highway driving). I'd go with the latter.

Old Post 04-04-2017 05:15 PM
tonytiger55 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tonytiger55 Click here to Send tonytiger55 a Private Message Find more posts by tonytiger55 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
s_havinga
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.09
Trader Rating: (9)

quote:

When buying my Sequoia, it seemed to work out to $1000 per 10,000 kms that I was willing to move so if one had 150,000kms on it and they wanted $25K, I would consider one with 200,000 kms for $20K or 250,000 kms for $15K.

I ended up doing a little better then that probably more like $1200/ 1000kms but the concept worked pretty good to decide if I felt things were a "good deal" or not

Old Post 04-04-2017 06:32 PM
s_havinga is offline Click Here to See the Profile for s_havinga Click here to Send s_havinga a Private Message Find more posts by s_havinga Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
95EagleAWD
Second Gear

What I drive: S54 M Coupe
Posts/Day: 0.42

quote:

I hardly ever look at mileage as a sale factor. My M Coupe had 83,000 miles on it when I picked it up, and it has 162,000 miles on it now. There's very little reason why it shouldn't be able to double that with proper maintenance. I'm hoping it does! I'd love to have the highest mileage one out there.

Old Post 04-05-2017 01:12 PM
95EagleAWD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 95EagleAWD Click here to Send 95EagleAWD a Private Message Find more posts by 95EagleAWD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thetransporter
First Gear

What I drive: acura TYPE A
Posts/Day: 0.13
Trader Rating: (1)

quote:

i have seen a toyota/lexus with 480 k i believe still good

but you can get carefully used lightly used GM/ford etc cars with 50k that run perfectly fine but people will still go for higher mileage Japanese or Euro

Old Post 04-08-2017 07:10 PM
thetransporter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thetransporter Click here to Send thetransporter a Private Message Find more posts by thetransporter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tilly
Neutral

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.07
Trader Rating: (7)

quote:

I've got a supercharged BMW from 1997 with over 170,000 miles on the clock. Miles.

I was warned about it, you know, requiring a lot of work.

And sure, it's had various unusual problems requiring attention.

I wrench on my own vehicles though, and when it comes to a classic Bavarian, you literally save 50-90% in mechanic fees.

The vehicles drives amazing, and I honestly feel I'll have many more miles to go.

Of course, there will be numerous unusual fixes along the way, but I don't mind.

170,000 miles on the clock has only shown me that the number is meaningless in terms of determining the value of a car. It's all about history, maintenance, and care. These things are much more challenging to determine. But qualitative rationale often is.

Old Post 04-10-2017 06:30 AM
Tilly is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tilly Click here to Send Tilly a Private Message Find more posts by Tilly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 02:21 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Car Forums > General Car/Bike Talk > How high of KMs on an ODO is too high for you when buying used?

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: