Quantcast
How'd you get your foot in the oilfield door?! - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How'd you get your foot in the oilfield door?!

When you go out there, find a way to keep yourself busy when you aren't working. I cannot stress this enough... I've seen a lot of my friends just piss away their money on booze, smokes, lottery tickets, drugs, and purchasing worthless crap.

It's very hard work, so make no mistake that they are easy pay cheques.

Save your money and play video games or something, your social life will be pretty crappy wherever you go anyway, so just stay low key and don't throw the money away.
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

I would get your First Aid and H2S Alive, get stack of resumes, get the PPE required, have a bag ready to go and go door to door and just tell them what was said above and you're ready to go. Are you in fairly decent shape, able to lift heavy shit and have no issue working in filthy conditions?
    I'm capable of the work. I'm sure the first couple shifts or more will be hell, but I'm determined.

The hardest part of applying I've found is I cant talk to anyone important! The receptionist always has an excuse. How am i supposed to meet somebody who has the potential to hire me?

Seriously, go spend a few days on courses. H2S is mandatory and without it your resume will be thrown in the trash.
    $135 h2s - 8hr course
    $150 First aid - 16 hr course
    most company's have a staff PPE purchase program with significant discounts. this is the only purchase that you could maybe put off until you are hired.
    I'm planning to get days off work next time these tickets are offered here at F&S.

H2S and PST and you'll be working in a week.
    Also gonna look into the PST

Get your PST, H2S and first aid with CPR.

Buy steel toe boots. I use the green dunlop boots year round. Just wear thick socks in the winter :p

Drilling rigs work 7-7. So you know how much you're going to make every day.

Service rigs work like retards. I've worked 20 hour days before. Not sure if thats changed in the past years.

Both will be slow as hell march thru june.

The time to get hired is after that. Right now it will be tough, it's not busy like it used to be. Rig count is decently high though. so with the usual turnover you should be able to find work. (http://www.caodc.ca/statistics/rigc...ing_weekly.html if youre curious about how busy rigs are)

Brooks and Nisku are your best bets for drilling. Dont need to relocate, just go on a rotation and come home for days off.

Service rigs will pick you up at your front door. Not sure what there is in the hat.

Trican/weatherford/etc will never make you as much money. But the work is easier. Dont ever go cementing.
    I was hoping to get on a drilling rig, but didnt know the hours were all messed up on service rig. Good info, Thanks.

Tip for job hunting: don't look like a dog fucker. Seriously, that'll shut you out right there. Don't wear any of those fancy horn rimmed glasses, don't do your hair, don't show up in slacks or loafers or whatever. Show up looking like you know what you're doing, know how to work and wanna get dirty.
    THIS. Thats what i figured they would wanna see. I didnt dress up by any means but I was clean. But even if i were wearing steel toes, and looked like i was ready for work, I never got past any of the receptionists...?

Why is Nisku not an option? The extra 2 hours from the Hat to Calgary is going to be the deciding factor if you can work on the rigs or not? That makes absolutely no sense.

Like everyone else has said get some tickets and get your ass up to Nisku ASAP.
    Nisku is definately an option. I just meant I couldnt relocate.

When you go out there, find a way to keep yourself busy when you aren't working. I cannot stress this enough... I've seen a lot of my friends just piss away their money on booze, smokes, lottery tickets, drugs, and purchasing worthless crap.

It's very hard work, so make no mistake that they are easy pay cheques.

Save your money and play video games or something, your social life will be pretty crappy wherever you go anyway, so just stay low key and don't throw the money away.
    I am more than aware of this, as Ive seen the same thing happen. But thanks for the reminder
    Cheers to a fresh start!

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

Trican would probably require a class 1 license. Cal frac in red deer generally doesn't. I worked there for a long time. They hire essentially everybody. Just don't be a cunt

http://www.rigzone.com/jobs/postings...ling_Hands.asp

You really only have a month and a half to two months left before breakup though

My Ride
    something green

I would finish your trade first , then go to a dealership.. My friends who are dealership techs make very good money , finish at 4:30 everyday and get to sleep in their own bed at night. Long term , an accredited trade is probably going to have more stability to it.
    Too loud for Aspen

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-04-2020 at 12:56 AM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

You wont find much in the hat other than the usuals.

Baker, trican, sanjel, technicoil, precision, calfrac, schlumberger and savana for drilling and completion. They are all in redcliff.

What you really need to do as mentioned before is get your safety tickets and head to nisku. If you aren't working within the week then there is something wrong with you.

I already have a deposit on my next year of school in March. By the time I get tickets and go re-apply, will be too late. Will probably just do another year of school and re think the rigs come fall.

So that's why you took monday off, fucker!
    You MUST be thinking of someone else.

I took a Wednesday off!
    Cheers to a fresh start!

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Originally posted by dsilvia89

Do you go back to the place you dropped off a resume, and ask if it had been looked at or anything like that?
    No, but you should call and ask. Perhaps speak to the same HR people you were talking to originally. That way its not just a random resume, but they can put a face to the name.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

just curious, how is the food and living condition on site?

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

^ It really depends as to whose running it. It can vary from anything of mediocre to absolutely amazing.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2