Quantcast
Hyundai Is The New Toyota with 2017 Elantra - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hyundai Is The New Toyota with 2017 Elantra

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Default Hyundai Is The New Toyota with 2017 Elantra

The new Elantra is here, and I’m thoroughly whelmed…

I mean, I had expectations and, overall, they were met. The exterior is a little blander than I expected, but it’s still nice. The interior looks about as good as I wanted, but feels better than I thought it would.

http://www.beyond.ca/hyundai-is-the-...tra/53794.html
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Baby Sonata! Love it

Anyone driven one of these Elantra Sports yet?

http://www.hyundaicanada.com/Pages/E...017/Index.aspx

$24,999 base 6MT - $28,999 with Tech package and 7-speed DCT (plus freight & PDI)

1.6T, 201 hp / 195 lb/ft

In the absence of the Civic Si it looks like not a bad option.

Ride & handling is tuned by Albert Biermann, who was the the head of BMW's M Performance division until he was poached. Only watched YouTube reviews so far but they seem very positive.

My Ride
    Grimace

After all the shit talking ads on tv regarding the corolla and civic, looked into the specs since I hate hyundai.

Rear Torsion Axle

Rear 203 mm / Drum (Opt 262 mm Disc)
    boooooo

I actually looked at a lease because I am getting a new car, and it's $550.85/mo and 4.99% which means they are valuing it around $5700 after 4 years. Either I am doing something wrong or they are grossly undervaluing the car's residual to get huge lease payments out of people.

I believe the rear end is a multi-link setup on the sport.

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    I actually looked at a lease because I am getting a new car, and it's $550.85/mo and 4.99% which means they are valuing it around $5700 after 4 years. Either I am doing something wrong or they are grossly undervaluing the car's residual to get huge lease payments out of people.

Yup, sport is not torsion, but everyone else now has it standard on all trims.

My Ride
    4x4 Abarth

I've seen the new Sport, in manual.

Nice side skirts/shifter feel, love how they keep it simple whereas Honda is going over the top with styling - which isn't a bad thing either, people have complained about Japanese cars being so bland. Steering feel is still typical KIA/Hyundai rubber band feeling that could use tightening up, by today's standards.

And that 1.6T doesn't feel that great/powerful, at least it doesn't deliver it in a fashion that feels powerful. By comparison, the 1.5T in the new Civic w/ CVT feels just as powerful and that's not even being an SI. I've driven plenty of the new Tucson and Veloster Turbo with this 1.6T and neither were impressive to me as far as power delivery goes. And the other day tried a KIA Forte5 Turbo hatch with this motor, same thing.

Fiesta ST > all

Yeah doesn't look too bad at all. Front is like a Ford Fusion, rear is Hyundai totally. Likes like a mini Fusion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

Originally posted by tehwegz
    I've seen the new Sport, in manual.

Nice side skirts/shifter feel, love how they keep it simple whereas Honda is going over the top with styling - which isn't a bad thing either, people have complained about Japanese cars being so bland. Steering feel is still typical KIA/Hyundai rubber band feeling that could use tightening up, by today's standards.

And that 1.6T doesn't feel that great/powerful, at least it doesn't deliver it in a fashion that feels powerful. By comparison, the 1.5T in the new Civic w/ CVT feels just as powerful and that's not even being an SI. I've driven plenty of the new Tucson and Veloster Turbo with this 1.6T and neither were impressive to me as far as power delivery goes. And the other day tried a KIA Forte5 Turbo hatch with this motor, same thing.

Fiesta ST > all
    Thanks for the feedback. I was actually excited about the car based on the YouTube reviews until I saw how it's not even remotely economical to lease. You can lease a C300 4matic for less

According to Hondata, that Civic 1.5T Dynos 177hp and 190 lb/ft at the wheels, which is probably why it feels so strong. Assume 15% drivetrain loss that is roughly 203 HP and 218 lb/ft at the crank if Hondata's numbers are accurate. It also helps explain why the new Civic is faster than the outgoing Si. I like the new Civic but I am having trouble getting over all the plastic bodywork given that I am not 16 anymore.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Whoa. The Elantra Sport interior is legit. Manual+ Heated steering wheel + CarPlay?

Everything has Carplay now, but Hyundai/Kia have heated steering wheels on a lot of their vehicles and it is absolutely amazing. I'm surprised it's so rare on other cars. I would rather have that than heated seats any day.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

I get $517 for tech/dct, 4 year, 20k/ yr.

You may be using Ontario prices. Either way the rate is to blame and horrendous residual.

As posted in the recession thread, if you are leasing a Golf/Golf Sportwagen can be had for well under $350 a month. Mazda's aren't bad now that they dropped their rates and have incentives on them too. Hyundais don't lease out well at all unless they are subsidized by the manufacturer. (they do this for Elantra GL, LE once in a while)

Edit: If you just want something with a heated steering wheel, you can lease a 2017 Corolla SE upgrade for $278 a month all in
    Last edited by Aleks; 02-06-2017 at 12:16 PM.

Originally posted by Aleks

I get $517 for tech/dct, 4 year, 20k/ yr.

You may be using Ontario prices. Either way the rate is to blame and horrendous residual.

As posted in the recession thread, if you are leasing a Golf/Golf Sportwagen can be had for well under $350 a month. Mazda's aren't bad now that they dropped their rates and have incentives on them too. Hyundais don't lease out well at all unless they are subsidized by the manufacturer. (they do this for Elantra GL, LE once in a while)

Edit: If you just want something with a heated steering wheel, you can lease a 2017 Corolla SE upgrade for $278 a month all.
    You're right, I had Ontario - I could have sworn it asked me and I picked "AB". Oh well, still way too expensive for that car to lease. I figured Hyundai would have some sort of promo but nope.

I didn't know Corolla's had a heated steering wheel on the SE, that's awesome.

My lease criteria is $400/mo max, and it has to have a turbo because nothing in the compact class has any torque without one. The problem with the non-GTI golfs/wagons is the transmission choices - 5spd manual or 6spd traditional automatic that nobody seems to like.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

You're right, I had Ontario - I could have sworn it asked me and I picked "AB". Oh well, still way too expensive for that car to lease. I figured Hyundai would have some sort of promo but nope.

I didn't know Corolla's had a heated steering wheel on the SE, that's awesome.

My lease criteria is $400/mo max, and it has to have a turbo because nothing in the compact class has any torque without one. The problem with the non-GTI golfs/wagons is the transmission choices - 5spd manual or 6spd traditional automatic that nobody seems to like.
    If you go with 4motion golf wagon, you get the DSG.

Originally posted by Aleks

If you go with 4motion golf wagon, you get the DSG.
    Interesting, so it does.

Unfortunately the Comfortline comes to $428/mo before taxes and fees and I assume freight & PDI. Also VW separates out smartphone integration and blind-spot monitoring into two separate packages totaling over $2,000 which I didn't select (but want). Seems surprisingly high for a $28,745 car but it's good to know you can get the 1.8 TSI, AWD, and DSG trifecta in the wagon.

My Ride
    K-car

I'd only ever lease any Hyundai product. Toyota/Honda kill this thing in resale value and no doubt offer much better long term dependability.

And of course the engine doesn't feel as strong as the numbers suggest, Hyundai/Kia always seem to overstate the numbers.

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Interesting, so it does.

Unfortunately the Comfortline comes to $428/mo before taxes and fees and I assume freight & PDI. Also VW separates out smartphone integration and blind-spot monitoring into two separate packages totaling over $2,000 which I didn't select (but want). Seems surprisingly high for a $28,745 car but it's good to know you can get the 1.8 TSI, AWD, and DSG trifecta in the wagon.
    Ya it a pretty awesome car with the DSG. Want me to build you a quote with your discounts etc?
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

Ya it a pretty awesome car with the DSG. Want me to build you a quote with your discounts etc?
    Sure, please. Doesn't hurt to take a look. Tried to PM you earlier today but your inbox was full

My Ride
    Bicycle

FYI, Kia Soul SX Turbo Tech with the same engine and DSG gear box as the Elantra Sport with MSRP around $32K is only leasing for $400/mth all in.

$550/mth at 4% is BS at this time of the year. There should be no finance/leasing rate over 2% right now unless it's low volume models.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 02-06-2017 at 02:25 PM.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-17-2019 at 04:17 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast