Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Home and Garden > Induction vs Gas cooktops - whats your preference?

Author
Thread
jwslam
Second Gear

What I drive: is easy to spot
Posts/Day: 0.43
Trader Rating: (61)
User Rating: 96%

quote:

Originally posted by Type_S1
I've had both and both are fine for my purposes...haven't once said "damn I wish I had X one in this scenario". Boiling water was 30 seconds fast on induction...not a deal breaker. I'm sure most people in this thread never even researched and bought their own stove just used what was in the houses (like me) lol.

Was cooking at my friend's this weekend. Gas burner on full blast. Took well over 5 minutes, probably closer to 10 to boil a shallow pan of water. She says all 4 side burners are that slow, and only the middle one is faster

I'll stick with my induction. Thanks.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-24-2017 04:57 PM
jwslam is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jwslam Click here to Send jwslam a Private Message Find more posts by jwslam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

ExtraSlow
Third Gear

What I drive: 2010 Recession Fighter LX
Posts/Day: 1.12
Trader Rating: (27)
User Rating: 101%

quote:

One thing I hate about electric cooktops of the non-induction variety is how the heat ticks on and off. Makes it hard to simmer things, particularly small amounts. They tend to boil and then come off boil repeatedly, which fucks up the timing of things. Does induction have better control?

Old Post 04-24-2017 05:17 PM
ExtraSlow is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ExtraSlow Click here to Send ExtraSlow a Private Message Find more posts by ExtraSlow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rage2

What I drive: Ricer SUV, Lexus Coupe in Mid Life Crisis Orange
Posts/Day: 1.10
Trader Rating: (25)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
One thing I hate about electric cooktops of the non-induction variety is how the heat ticks on and off. Makes it hard to simmer things, particularly small amounts. They tend to boil and then come off boil repeatedly, which fucks up the timing of things. Does induction have better control?

Yes. It's as good as gas.

Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Old Post 04-24-2017 05:48 PM
rage2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rage2 Click here to Send rage2 a Private Message Visit rage2's homepage! Find more posts by rage2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jwslam
Second Gear

quote:

Originally posted by ExtraSlow

My Maytag has a auto-simmer and melt-and-hold function, both of which I've had no luck with. I haven't had issues with keeping things on boil, but I'm impatient and things are always on full blast.

edit: just found this
https://www.chowhound.com/post/simm...nduction-890811

Last edited by jwslam on 04-24-2017 at 05:56 PM

Old Post 04-24-2017 05:54 PM
jwslam is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jwslam Click here to Send jwslam a Private Message Find more posts by jwslam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ExtraSlow
Third Gear

What I drive: 2010 Recession Fighter LX
Posts/Day: 1.12
Trader Rating: (27)
User Rating: 101%

quote:

My stove seems to have two settings. "not quite boiling" or "boiling over".

Old Post 04-24-2017 05:57 PM
ExtraSlow is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ExtraSlow Click here to Send ExtraSlow a Private Message Find more posts by ExtraSlow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Disoblige
Third Gear

What I drive: '90 Z32, '03 TJ, '15 Grom
Posts/Day: 0.75
Trader Rating: (28)
User Rating: 110%

Re: Re: Induction vs Gas cooktops - whats your preference? quote:

Originally posted by jwslam

Mine went over xmas. The guy who replaced it said it's common at 18 months-ish. Cause is that the breaker is not up-sized to 60A instead of the standard 40A.

This makes no sense. What does not using a larger sized breaker have anything to do with the electronics not working?

Old Post 04-24-2017 05:58 PM
Disoblige is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Disoblige Click here to Send Disoblige a Private Message Find more posts by Disoblige Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jwslam
Second Gear

Re: Re: Re: Induction vs Gas cooktops - whats your preference? quote:

Originally posted by Disoblige

This makes no sense. What does not using a larger sized breaker have anything to do with the electronics not working?

No clue, and I'm not questioning it as I got a C- in ENGG325

I recall trying to run a few burners plus the oven at the same time, when something went pop pretty loudly, and the breaker tripped. Flip the breaker and only the front 2 burners worked after that... everything else errored out as "F47" (Maytag)

Last edited by jwslam on 04-24-2017 at 06:32 PM

Old Post 04-24-2017 06:25 PM
The time now is 05:22 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Home and Garden > Induction vs Gas cooktops - whats your preference?

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: