Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Car Forums > General Car/Bike Talk > Insurance windshield/glass coverage

Author
Thread
killramos
Third Gear

What I drive: ///M235i
Posts/Day: 1.10
Trader Rating: (2)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

Originally posted by roll_over

I have 3 separate quotes for my windshield right now and the cheapest so far was $1500 with the most expensive being $1970 from the dealer.

I get additional 25% off from my business but still ends up being over $1000.

Is your windshield made of swarovski crystal or something?

* Use of this avatar makes no statement of me implying I own a BMW M division car, that the BMW M235i model is a BMW M division car, or any other statement regarding BMW M division or its debated superiority over other makes and models of vehicles

Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.

Originally posted by Toma
fact.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-21-2017 05:04 PM
killramos is offline Click Here to See the Profile for killramos Click here to Send killramos a Private Message Find more posts by killramos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

prae
Neutral

What I drive: '13 F-150 FX4 Eco
Posts/Day: 0.07
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

Just piling on to the OEM vs. non-OEM debate:

The "SoundScreen" option on Carlite glass (found in F-150s) makes a surprisingly large difference to in-cabin noise.

I replaced an OEM soundscreen on an F150 with the cheapest thing 5-Star auto had, and I was really shocked at the change in highway noise on the vehicle.

I'd be curious, Masked Bandit, does glass coverage take into consideration these type of options (SoundScreen is typically something that only appears on higher trim models), or is more of a "glass is glass is glass" argument?

Old Post 03-21-2017 06:54 PM
prae is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prae Click here to Send prae a Private Message Find more posts by prae Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Masked Bandit
Forum Sponsor

What I drive: Buffalo Truck & something w/ Seriously Round Tires
Posts/Day: 0.54
Trader Rating: (1)

quote:

Originally posted by prae
Just piling on to the OEM vs. non-OEM debate:

The "SoundScreen" option on Carlite glass (found in F-150s) makes a surprisingly large difference to in-cabin noise.

I replaced an OEM soundscreen on an F150 with the cheapest thing 5-Star auto had, and I was really shocked at the change in highway noise on the vehicle.

I'd be curious, Masked Bandit, does glass coverage take into consideration these type of options (SoundScreen is typically something that only appears on higher trim models), or is more of a "glass is glass is glass" argument?

Right out of the gate, glass is glass is glass is what an adjuster would proceed on but if you as the customer could show that your windshield had a special factory feature like this SoundScreen then I'm guessing you could have that covered.

"Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

www.touchstoneinsurance.ca

Old Post 03-21-2017 08:16 PM
Masked Bandit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Masked Bandit Click here to Send Masked Bandit a Private Message Visit Masked Bandit's homepage! Find more posts by Masked Bandit Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mitsu3000gt
E-Gear Paddle Shifter

What I drive: 2017 Civic Hatch ST
Posts/Day: 1.80
Trader Rating: (28)
User Rating: 93%

quote:

Originally posted by ShermanEF9

Obviously OEM will have a higher QA, and will be less tolerant of imperfections. i was arguing the case of safety. OEM glass vs aftermarket are both as safe as the other.

I don't think anyone is arguing the case of *glass* safety though, but rather poor quality glass' effect on vehicle safety systems (like lane departure and autonomous braking), or things like heads up displays and rain sensing wipers. That's where it can get tricky, if you have crappy glass or an imperfection in an unfortunate spot. At least that's where my question was stemming from.

Old Post 03-21-2017 09:20 PM
Mitsu3000gt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mitsu3000gt Click here to Send Mitsu3000gt a Private Message Find more posts by Mitsu3000gt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
heavyD
Fifth Gear

What I drive: 2016 MK7 Golf R
Posts/Day: 1.39
Trader Rating: (12)

quote:

I don't remember 15 years ago seeing the sheer amount of cars driving around with crazy wavy windshields like you see all over Calgary these days. Cheap glass is great for the part of the market that wants the cheapest glass but I don't want that crap in my car.

Old Post 03-22-2017 07:02 PM
heavyD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for heavyD Click here to Send heavyD a Private Message Find more posts by heavyD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 06:15 AM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Car Forums > General Car/Bike Talk > Insurance windshield/glass coverage

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: