Quantcast
JAYMEZ' Importing from the States thread. - Page 62 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 62 of 64 FirstFirst ... 52 61 62 63 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,240 of 1279

Thread: JAYMEZ' Importing from the States thread.

Quick question. Are "reconstructed" titles admissible in Canada. The car is NOT a salvage title. There is a theft recovery vehicle that has been hovering at a steal of a price. Is it much harder to import such a car?

Thanks!

Nevermind, quite a bit more work for non-clean titles and a lot of other disadvantages. I'll stick to something clean.

My Ride
    M3P

What were you looking at?

My Ride
    1985/1986/1988 4runner

Here's something I found out that might help people importing vehicles from Montana. According to Montana's DMV (Nancy Hargrove, nhargrove"AT"mt.gov), a temporary registration permit (TRP) is valid throughout the US and Canada, so you DO NOT have to get an In-transit permit when you cross into Canada. Saves you some cash and it's one less step.

My Ride
    S212 E63s / MK7.5 .:R

Originally posted by 4runneron36s
    Here's something I found out that might help people importing vehicles from Montana. According to Montana's DMV (Nancy Hargrove, nhargrove"AT"mt.gov), a temporary registration permit (TRP) is valid throughout the US and Canada, so you DO NOT have to get an In-transit permit when you cross into Canada. Saves you some cash and it's one less step.
    I can confirm this is true and it is valid for 40 days and was less than $10 USD (I think it was $8).

So don't bother purchasing anything from a Canadian DMV which is only valid in Canada and valid for something like 3 days and costs approx $20. Don't let the DMVs here try to sucker you into believing that you -must- buy the Canadian in-transit permits and also purchase one down in the states.

The day after I got back in town I got pulled over by CPS because of my temporary plate (piece of paper stuck onto my license plate holder) and the officer tried to convince me that there is no such thing as a 40-day temporary registration and tried to tell me that I cannot drive around. I told him I could because I have a 40-day TRP which allows me to drive around while I complete my registration. I ended up having to show him the TRP slip and he still refused to believe it and that he is letting me go with a warning because the car hasn't been in Calgary for more then 48 hours .

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

Originally posted by Kg810

I can confirm this is true and it is valid for 40 days and was less than $10 USD (I think it was $8).

So don't bother purchasing anything from a Canadian DMV which is only valid in Canada and valid for something like 3 days and costs approx $20. Don't let the DMVs here try to sucker you into believing that you -must- buy the Canadian in-transit permits and also purchase one down in the states.

The day after I got back in town I got pulled over by CPS because of my temporary plate (piece of paper stuck onto my license plate holder) and the officer tried to convince me that there is no such thing as a 40-day temporary registration and tried to tell me that I cannot drive around. I told him I could because I have a 40-day TRP which allows me to drive around while I complete my registration. I ended up having to show him the TRP slip and he still refused to believe it and that he is letting me go with a warning because the car hasn't been in Calgary for more then 48 hours .
    1. Canada doesnt have DMV
    2. You cant get Montana temp permits unless you are buying a car in Montana afaik. Actually, how would you even get a Montana temp permit if you are picking up a car in lets say Cali...???
    3. Length of temp permit in each state is different, Washington's temp permit is paid on a 3 days cycle. Colorado is 30 iirc, Cali you just take their plate, Ohio is 30 day etc etc.

to be honest, most cops dont know the rule for different states. If you get stopped, as long as you have some kind of temp permit from somewhere, plus your purchase agreement. They are okay wit that.

My Ride
    S212 E63s / MK7.5 .:R

Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

1. Canada doesnt have DMV
    2. You cant get Montana temp permits unless you are buying a car in Montana afaik. Actually, how would you even get a Montana temp permit if you are picking up a car in lets say Cali...???
    3. Length of temp permit in each state is different, Washington's temp permit is paid on a 3 days cycle. Colorado is 30 iirc, Cali you just take their plate, Ohio is 30 day etc etc.

to be honest, most cops dont know the rule for different states. If you get stopped, as long as you have some kind of temp permit from somewhere, plus your purchase agreement. They are okay wit that.
    1. Is it really a big deal that I called our registry services, DMV? As long as you understood what I was referring to what's the problem?
    2. Who said anything about getting a Montana temp permit for Cali? How did you even arrive at that thought when I was quoting and confirming the temp permit for Montana?
    3. Yes, every state has different durations. I was strictly responding to the quote that was dealing with Montana, I apologize if that was not clear.

I'm sure if it was more than 48 hours when the cop pulled me over he would have tried to ticket me with something, he honestly thought I was trying to trick him by telling him I have a temporary registration permit for 40 days even after I showed him the slip. But anyways, just to make sure, I was just confirming what 4runneron36s said about the Montana permit.

My Ride
    1985/1986/1988 4runner

Exactly Kg810, I was specific when I mentioned importing from Montana. Now with states that the plates stay with the vehicle I assume you can just use those (valid tags) till you get new ones.

can anyone recommend a transportation service that they've used? or even a broker they've used?

Thanks

My Ride
    F30

Has anyone imported a benz recently? From what I understand you only need to take it to Mercedes for the cluster change etc. if you want the warranty to transfer over but if you are ok with getting warranty work done in the states you don't need to take it to Mercedes? I am looking at maybe getting a 2010 E350 from down there, any advice would be great. Thanks
    Originally posted by Ven
    If you find a chic the there with a stick shift don't be alarmed. It's just the performance model, go ahead and ride it like you stole it.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Well I've read through the entire thread, thank you Jaymez and all the others who had some helpful points. A couple things that I'm still unclear of and would really appreciate some help with.

I've tentatively purchased a slightly used vehicle from a dealer in Seattle, WA. That dealer is arranging the Title, Bill of Sale and Recall Clearance Letter and will be faxing (and confirming) everything to Whitlash so I can then cross at Coutts/Sweetgrass. He is also arranging a temporary US DMV Trip Permit for me so I can drive the car in the US, the pass is valid for 9 days (my Fiancé and I are actually doing a little road trip before crossing back into Canada). My question is what happens once I cross the border into Canada, there is no clear answer in this thread as to what I need to do to legally drive my car around here in Alberta. Should I pull over after the border and slap on a license plate off my current car onto the new car? How long can I drive around on that plate for? What do I do for the week or so that I will be running around getting the Federal and Provincial Inspections done and activating the DRL's at the Dealer? I know that AB Registries can sell you a 7 Day Temporary Permit but to my understanding they need to see an RIV Form 1 to do so.

Also can cars be imported 24hrs a day 7 days a week through Coutts/Sweetgrass? I know the border is open 24hrs a day but can I bring a car across on weekends or late at night? Yes I know I could call but talking to the border guys is like pulling teeth.

Thanks in advance.

Might be helpful:

http://blog.findthebestcarprice.com/...car-to-canada/

Read the comments as well.

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

Originally posted by 94boosted
    Well I've read through the entire thread, thank you Jaymez and all the others who had some helpful points. A couple things that I'm still unclear of and would really appreciate some help with.

I've tentatively purchased a slightly used vehicle from a dealer in Seattle, WA. That dealer is arranging the Title, Bill of Sale and Recall Clearance Letter and will be faxing (and confirming) everything to Whitlash so I can then cross at Coutts/Sweetgrass. He is also arranging a temporary US DMV Trip Permit for me so I can drive the car in the US, the pass is valid for 9 days (my Fiancé and I are actually doing a little road trip before crossing back into Canada). My question is what happens once I cross the border into Canada, there is no clear answer in this thread as to what I need to do to legally drive my car around here in Alberta. Should I pull over after the border and slap on a license plate off my current car onto the new car? How long can I drive around on that plate for? What do I do for the week or so that I will be running around getting the Federal and Provincial Inspections done and activating the DRL's at the Dealer? I know that AB Registries can sell you a 7 Day Temporary Permit but to my understanding they need to see an RIV Form 1 to do so.

Also can cars be imported 24hrs a day 7 days a week through Coutts/Sweetgrass? I know the border is open 24hrs a day but can I bring a car across on weekends or late at night? Yes I know I could call but talking to the border guys is like pulling teeth.

Thanks in advance.
    1. Make sure you have insurance on the vehicle before you go and pick it up

2. Your US DMV permit is also valid in Canada because that is a type of registration. Look at it this way, It's a "temp" plate issued by DMV. I have driven on Ohio permits for a month in Calgary (that's how long that permit was good for) without hassle. If you are concerned, get that in-transit permit from the Alberta registries. That's your legal permit to drive in Canada. All you need is a bill of sale and insurance to obtain an in-transit permit.

3. Yes Coutts/Sweetgrass is 24/7. They will process vehicle export/import at any time. While the Washington/BC crossing does not. Every broader crossing is different.

4. You MUST cross at Coutts/Sweetgrass, make sure YOU call in advance to see if they have your documents in the system ready to go, dont trust the dealers as they might fuck up and you'll be the one ended up suffering from it.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

1. Make sure you have insurance on the vehicle before you go and pick it up

2. Your US DMV permit is also valid in Canada because that is a type of registration. Look at it this way, It's a "temp" plate issued by DMV. I have driven on Ohio permits for a month in Calgary (that's how long that permit was good for) without hassle. If you are concerned, get that in-transit permit from the Alberta registries. That's your legal permit to drive in Canada. All you need is a bill of sale and insurance to obtain an in-transit permit.

3. Yes Coutts/Sweetgrass is 24/7. They will process vehicle export/import at any time. While the Washington/BC crossing does not. Every broader crossing is different.

4. You MUST cross at Coutts/Sweetgrass, make sure YOU call in advance to see if they have your documents in the system ready to go, dont trust the dealers as they might fuck up and you'll be the one ended up suffering from it.
    Thank you Team McLaren

1. Already got insurance sorted out, so thats all good.

2. The Trip Permit the dealer is providing me is $30/3 Days and apparently you can purchase up to a maximum of 3 permits so I've had them put 3 into the deal.

3. Great.

4. Yup I've got the contact info and I'll be sure to call at least 3 days before we actually intend to cross just to double check that the dealer actually faxed everything.

My Ride
    06 EVO IX, 17 RAPTOR,13 JKRU, 18 TH Jeep

Originally posted by 94boosted

Thank you Team McLaren

1. Already got insurance sorted out, so thats all good.

2. The Trip Permit the dealer is providing me is $30/3 Days and apparently you can purchase up to a maximum of 3 permits so I've had them put 3 into the deal.

3. Great.

4. Yup I've got the contact info and I'll be sure to call at least 3 days before we actually intend to cross just to double check that the dealer actually faxed everything.
    Kings gate border is also a 24 hr crossing...and it's on your way back thru Spokane and then go north at couerdalene...

I've gone across here on the weekend with new car purchases...and it avoids going all the way to Montana....

My Ride
    M3P

Hey Guys, Quick question.

I have a buddy who is originally from Canada.

He moved to the states about 5 years ago and bought a bike.

He moved back about 2 years ago, and wants to bring his Bike to Canada.

What's the process for him?

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Exactly the same as anyone else. The bike must be imported.

My Ride
    2011 DGM STI Sedan

Originally posted by Kloubek
    Exactly the same as anyone else. The bike must be imported.
    I am in a very similar situation. I have been in the US for 2.5 years, and am about to relocate to Toronto.

From what I understand, I will need to pay GST/HST on the purchase price of my vehicle. However since I have owned the vehicle for more than six months prior to importing, I technically get a break.

From what I understand, I will only be taxed on the value of the car over $10,000, ie. if the car value is $30,000 total, I have to pay tax/duty on $20,000...

Is this accurate, can any of you speak to this? Are there alternatives / work arounds to avoid being taxed all together, for example, claiming the vehicle as a gift or something like that?

Would appreciate any help. I'll start reading through all the info here in the mean time.

Cheers.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Gift won't work, you'll get taxed on gifts anyways.

Never heard of a $10k exemption for moving, so can't help you there.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    2011 DGM STI Sedan

Originally posted by rage2
    Gift won't work, you'll get taxed on gifts anyways.

Never heard of a $10k exemption for moving, so can't help you there.
    Here is where I got that number from:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...87-eng.html#s4

Page 62 of 64 FirstFirst ... 52 61 62 63 ... LastLast