Quantcast
JAYMEZ' Importing from the States thread. - Page 61 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 61 of 64 FirstFirst ... 51 60 61 62 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,220 of 1279

Thread: JAYMEZ' Importing from the States thread.

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

ya, I've printed every email and fax and have printed off absolutely everything. I'll have lots of information with me.

You'll be fine then.

My Ride

Car is now in my driveway.

After you've done it once, it's such a simple process. Still gotta get form 2 and federal inspection.

Can canadian tire install daytime running lights on the M3? or do I have to go to the dealer?
    Last edited by Jlude; 09-05-2011 at 06:00 PM.

My Ride
    Corrado G60/BMW 323iT

I wouldn't let Canadian Tire do the DRL's. Go to any place that services BMW's and it's a simple mouse click on the computer to activate DRL's on a BMW. If you go to BMW you will get RIPPED OFF! They'll totally overcharge you for something that literally takes less than 3 minutes...

My Ride

BMW quoted me 276 to setup DRLs and then 149 to find the pass key for my stereo/bluetooth! What a joke!

Welcome to the world of servicing a BMW.
    You know it mean, Big Money Waste (BMW) right? haha.

Glad you like the car.
    Who else has the computers to dial in these changes to the instrument cluster?
    I'm assuming they can also change *F to *C and stuff like that too right?

My Ride

I think they can switch everything over on the cluster. I can't seem to find anyone here (winnipeg) that can service BMW other than the dealer.

Doesn't scat have the ability to mess with the bmw programming?

My Ride
    1.2 GIGAWATT CUISINART POWERED DELOREAN

Anyone know what the process is to bring a car over 15 years old in from the US? I know the older cars are exempt from RIV and Federal inspection but do the Custom office at the border still need the bill of sale and the paperwork 72 hours ahead of time? Anyone has gone through that process that can maybe help me out a bit? Thanks
    “I don’t understand bus lanes. Why do poor people have to get to places quicker than I do?” -Jeremy Clarkson

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Everything is the same except for the RIV part. You'll need to get the export paperwork into US customs 72 hrs ahead of time, you'll need to present bill of sale and exported title on the Canadian side, and pay taxes and fees.

You wont get the RIV forms, so that's the only difference. No Canadian Tire inspection. They'll give you another form, which you take to a registry to get the OOP form. Get your OOP done, go back to the registry, and register your car.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    06 EVO IX, 17 RAPTOR,13 JKRU, 18 TH Jeep

For those that have imported a car from California, did they get away from the 5% sales tax? I read the thread (and have imported lots of cars too) but never from Cali...info in the thread seems to agree with the following but never confirmed:

This link seems to say that we (canadians) can avoid the tax by having the form filled out and taking delivery in another state (nevada for example)...

http://ucanimport.blogspot.com/2008/...state-tax.html

If you've done this, can you let me know?

Thanks !
    Chris

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Originally posted by 4WARNED
    For those that have imported a car from California, did they get away from the 5% sales tax? I read the thread (and have imported lots of cars too) but never from Cali...info in the thread seems to agree with the following but never confirmed:

This link seems to say that we (canadians) can avoid the tax by having the form filled out and taking delivery in another state (nevada for example)...

http://ucanimport.blogspot.com/2008/...state-tax.html

If you've done this, can you let me know?

Thanks !
    Chris
    On a side note to this:

If we are buying a used car from a dealership down in the states do we need to pay a sales tax? Do all states have a sales tax or is it just California? With a private sale there is obviously no sales tax is that correct?

My Ride

Sorry - i should've followed up my question - if the dealership has a bill of lading that proves a vehicle is shipped/delivered to somewhere other than california, then we (as in canadians) do not have to pay the state tax. I know that for a fact.....i did get confirmation of this from a CALI dealer....

As for your question....there is no tax on private sales...but on dealership sales, you will pay the sales tax unless as per above...

But with that said, i don't believe you can get out of paying this tax with Florida and illinois.........as for the other states, there will be no state tax that has to be paid by Canadians....

Make sense?

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Sorry - i should've followed up my question - if the dealership has a bill of lading that proves a vehicle is shipped/delivered to somewhere other than california, then we (as in canadians) do not have to pay the state tax. I know that for a fact.....i did get confirmation of this from a CALI dealer....

As for your question....there is no tax on private sales...but on dealership sales, you will pay the sales tax unless as per above...

But with that said, i don't believe you can get out of paying this tax with Florida and illinois.........as for the other states, there will be no state tax that has to be paid by Canadians....

Make sense?
    Thank you.

What is a bill of landing? How would the dealership get this if your picking up the car directly from them?

Are you saying there is a sales tax on all delaership sales in all states or just in Cali?

My Ride

Originally posted by 94boosted

Thank you.

What is a bill of landing? How would the dealership get this if your picking up the car directly from them?

Are you saying there is a sales tax on all delaership sales in all states or just in Cali?
    Bill of lading = proof of shipping...you can't pick it up at the dealer.....it needs to be shipped....

Cali / Illinois and Florida are the ones that i know of that charge sales tax (with an opt-out in California)...

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Bill of lading = proof of shipping...you can't pick it up at the dealer.....it needs to be shipped....

Cali / Illinois and Florida are the ones that i know of that charge sales tax (with an opt-out in California)...
    So if your planning on buying a used US car in Cali, Illinois or Florida directly from a dealer you have to pay the sales tax no exceptions? You can only opt out in Cali and you can only opt out when you have the car shipped directly to Canada?

Is there no way to get reinbursed for it after the fact i.e. when you bring it back to Canada, some sort of a tax claim form?

I could of sworn that I've heard of guys saying they bought cars in Cali and just by presenting enough proof that the they live in Canada and that they're bringing the car back with them to Canada they didn't have to pay the US State Sales tax

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

Ohio is similar to Cali, but you must take possession of the vehicle out of the country to avoid the states tax.

Most dealerships are okay with trasporting the vehicle out. They can have someone drive the vehicle out of state (out of the home state, not out of country) and have you pick it up from there. I have done it on two separate occassions. They will charge you a fee (a few hundred) but its worth it since states tax would be much higher than that.

On one occassion the dealership actually paid for my rental To drive out of state

^^ Keep in mind that Cali is broke ass as shit. The government will try and get anything they can get their hands on.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

So just for clarity, a hypothetical situation would be:

Go to dealership in Cali.
    Pay for vehicle at dealership
    Catch a bus to the nearest town outside of Cali.
    Take possesion/delivery of said car at some diner
    Then go to DMV in said town and carry on with exporting process

So in order to avoid this headache it would probably be easier just to buy privately if in Cali, Ohio, Illinois or Florida and if not in those states just buy at a dealer.

I'm buying a car this spring and the majority of the ones I want are in Cali. (GS Corvettes) but I want to make a vacation out of it so I would rather not have the car shipped out of state/country.

My Ride

Originally posted by 94boosted
    So just for clarity, a hypothetical situation would be:

Go to dealership in Cali.
    Pay for vehicle at dealership
    Catch a bus to the nearest town outside of Cali.
    Take possesion/delivery of said car at some diner
    Then go to DMV in said town and carry on with exporting process

So in order to avoid this headache it would probably be easier just to buy privately if in Cali, Ohio, Illinois or Florida and if not in those states just buy at a dealer.

I'm buying a car this spring and the majority of the ones I want are in Cali. (GS Corvettes) but I want to make a vacation out of it so I would rather not have the car shipped out of state/country.
    Yes to all questions that you have asked.....sorry if what i typed what confusing but you're on the right path. and i meant Ohio instead of Illinois......i don't believe that we need to pay any tax in Illinois but a quick call to an illinois dealer will answer that....so ohio/cali/Florida....

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Unless things have changed, you don't have to pay tax in Illinois either. At least I didn't in 2008. I just had to provide an address in Iowa (used my buddy's place in Cedar Rapids).

Page 61 of 64 FirstFirst ... 51 60 61 62 ... LastLast