Quantcast
Jeep Wrangler unlimited - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jeep Wrangler unlimited

Default Jeep Wrangler unlimited

Hello Beyond,

I am looking to get some advice on purchasing a used Jeep Wrangler unlimited for my wife. Her requirements are: 6spd manual, 4 doors, cloth seats(hates leather), power locks/windows AC, hard top etc. Budget is approximately 25-30k.

A few questions:

-which trim is the best for her requirements (sport, sahara, Rubicon)? It Will be used as a daily driver; miniscule amount off roading if any at all. May potentially consider a slight lift/bigger tires down the road(just to look cool lol)

-Any particular issues to look out for with these vehicles?

-Any years which are better than others? Years to avoid?

-for contingency planning purposes; are these feasible for a baby seat(s)

- how to determine a fair price for these? Prices seem all over the place on kijiji?

Any other advice in relation to wrangler unlimited?

Thanks!

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

2012+ has the better and more powerful 3.6 Penstar motor so I would look for one of those

As for price its hard to say they are one of the best vehicles ive found that seem to hold their value. Sport is basically as basic as they come. Id get a Sahara, Willy's, or Rubicon if budget allows and if you find a good enough deal.

Issues: Any with a lift/tires id take on highway speeds to make sure there is no major front end shake/ "death wobble"

But regardless even if you go earlier than 2012 models they are tough motors. I love my Wrangler its been great.

My Ride
    2002 jeep tj

Where should I start...

Ask your self or your wife these questions.

Why are you set on a wrangler?

Do you care about gas mileage?

Do you care about small ticks or squeaks?

Do you care about wind noise?

Do you care about a smooth ride?

A wrangler is not for everyone, most people get drawn towards them because of there looks and they don't take in to account the questions I have asked above

I my self have owned 3 wranglers a 2002 tj with the inline 6 a 2014 and a 2015 that I currently own

I'm not going to get in to the tj side of things, but the 2014 was nothing but a nightmare problem after problem with the 6 speed, my 2015 has given me 0 problems "knock on wood"

you have the 2007 first gen jk with the 3.8 this engine is tough like shlade has mentioned but it needs to be taken care of it does like to drink oil in the higher km range its underpowered for how heavy the wrangler is and resistance to wind, but good for city driving

In 2011 that's when they changed the interior of the jk to the current one its much more nicer then the prev gen jk but it still ran the 3.8 engine

2012 to 2013 early 2014 there was a problem with the 3.6 heads going out on the jeep within its first 30k of its life, these heads where made in Mexico and something was not right with them, but if u do get one with these heads jeep has a 10 year warranty on it not sure how many kms it covers but the 2014 would be the upper safer side with the engine heads.

In 2015 the wrangler got the upgraded alpine sound system and the in floor sub that sounds just awesome and the sub it self is water proof. No major changes from 2014 to 2015 other then the dash speakers in the 2015 are flat and not coming out of the dash in a pod like in all the other jeep years.

In 2015 also the soft top got an upgrade to cloth that's a lot better then the older one and much more quitter on the hiway

As to what trim you want.

Most of the sport basic trims u cant add anything in them the sport s can have some upgrade done to it

The Sahara and Rubicon "hard rock" trims are the top of the line, Rubicon hard rock being on the top of the list.

In a Sahara trim you can get everything a Rubicon has, power windows, heated seats, leather or cloth seats the dvd/gps system Bluetooth

A Sahara has a softer ride then a Rubicon the willys will also ride the same as a Rubicon taking it has the red shocks and stiffer springs

If you do buy a Sahara make sure it has 3.73 gearing as that would still be ok still if you upgrade the tires and add a lift with a 6 speed but do not count on using 6th gear or even 5th gear other then a flat road lol

The Major differences between a Sahara and Rubicon is the Rubi will have both front and rear HD Dana 44 axles while the Sahara will have a Dana 30 front and a normal dana44 rear.

The Rubi will have the 4.10 gearing also in the 6 speeds while some of the auto rubis came stock with 3.73 and an option 4.10 gears. The rubi will also have the 4.1 T case witch is great for crawling and the nice option of disconnecting the front sway bar when u go off roading

The Sahara would come with street tire while the Rubi and willys will come with the mud terrain tires

Your best bet would be the Sahara or a sport S if you want comfort and some what good gas mileage

if you have any questions pm me. no I'm not a sales man lol
    Last edited by Jeeper1986; 07-24-2016 at 09:03 PM.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 11:24 PM.

While I have always liked Wranglers, I'm certain I'd not be putting my family in a vehicle with marginal crash scores and total mess in rollovers/side impact. Normally a pretty important consideration with new parents. Get an F150, win the battle of physics.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/veh...-door-suv/2014
    Last edited by Minimalist; 07-25-2016 at 04:37 PM.

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Our group owns a Jeep dealership, email me specs and my price should be the lowest out there (if you're going new). Lots of used options out there but sometimes its almost as cheap to go new.

We have a 2012 Rubicon on the lot for $29990 which seems like a lot but were the cheapest 12 Rubi in Alberta.

[email protected]

thanks
    Ryan
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    Super Car(s)

^ talk with Ryan on the phone.. He'll hook you up.

Personally I really like jeeps. but like one of the guy says above.

Their noisey! Gas guzlers! Rough Riding! and not so good in the winter. If Ryan can get you a good deal and you don't mind the shit above, go for it. get a manual though so every guy out there doesn't think your a fucking pussy.

I loved the idea of a GP general vehicle, and the old YJ/TJ's as being real capable simple vehicles with pretty much like John Deer vintage bulletproof 4.0 on solid steel axles.

the new unlimited wides and lengthens the wheelbase, making it less effective of an offroader, meanwhile supposed to improve its utility, while... its not a truck and certainly not a well behaving road vehicle.

I think its it pedigree that makes it so desirable, but just slapping a lift on a Sahara doesn't make it an offroader... however admittedly they are good looking

I'd go Yukon, and buy a quad lol

need to wait for one of these bad boys

My fiancé bought a 2014 sport-s (2 door tho) brand new.

Looking back on it:
    - get a Sahara - the ride is smoother
    - get a 4 door if you have kids/pets. 2 doors have basically 0 room unless you fold the back seat down, and even then my mazda3 still has a lot more room for camping gear
    - off roading is fun as hell in these things. They will get you anywhere. Make sure you take it out
    - you will get windshield cracks no matter what due to the almost vertical windshield

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

My ex girlfriend had one. It was a two door Sahara. Interior actually wasn't too bad in terms of space, even the back seat. The leather was nice but the rest of the fit and finish was sub par in my opinion. The doors needed too much force to close. The suspension and ride is probably the most archaic seasick uncontrolled but too stiff feeling I've ever felt in a vehicle. It had adequate power with the Pentastar V6.

Overall would only buy if it was a Rubicon and I was buying it with the specific intentions of taking it off road.

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

Originally posted by InRich
    Gas guzlers!and not so good in the winter.
    What's considered a gas guzzler...? I get 500k a tank with my jeep with oversized tires on about $65-70 a tank. I don't consider that even remotely close to a gas guzzler. Also that's 500kms a tank with probably an extra 1000lbs in metal added on the jeep

Also my jeep has been nothing short of awesome in winter. Feels strong and sturdy on the road even in the worst snow storm.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Originally posted by Shlade

What's considered a gas guzzler...? I get 500k a tank with my jeep with oversized tires on about $65-70 a tank. I don't consider that even remotely close to a gas guzzler. Also that's 500kms a tank with probably an extra 1000lbs in metal added on the jeep

Also my jeep has been nothing short of awesome in winter. Feels strong and sturdy on the road even in the worst snow storm.
    It's rated by EPA as similar fuel consumption as the 1/2 ton domestic V8 trucks and worse than Ram half ton with the same engine.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 11:24 PM.

My Ride
    starts with a screwdriver...

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

That isn't too bad, my Audi is maybe only about 10$ cheaper for the same distance and I consider it to be pretty decent on fuel

The old inline 6 engines though were just terrible on fuel, I think that is what a lot of people remember
    My I6 offroad XJ approves of this statement lol. It is the Exxon Valdez of the jeep world.. chugs fuel and leaks oil.
    I MAKE BALLER CARS MORE BALLER.....

My Ride
    Super Car(s)

Originally posted by Shlade

you must drive like a bitch then... lol

just joking, relax

Lots of good information; thanks all!

From what is posted above, we will be looking for the following:

-Sahara trim; as we definitely want a smoother ride. I don't believe we need the rubicon for daily driver use. Options we definitely want are 6spd manual, power windows/locks, cloth seats, heated seats, AC, hard top.

-2012 or newer (newer the better within budget preferably 2013-14)

-Preferably a stock one, however if we do find a deal on a modified one; we will test it out at highway speeds for shake/wobble and inspect the underneath for damage/abuse

-Jeeper1986- to answer your questions:

Why are you set on a wrangler?
    My wife is set on a wrangler because she does not want to give up driving manual, and would like an SUV. She is also guilty of being attracted to the looks of the wrangler.

Do you care about gas mileage?
    Currently she drives a TDI Jetta which gets close 1000km/tank, so she is expecting take a reduction in mileage. If the tank on the wrangler gets 500k out of a $65-$70 fill we are ok with that

Do you care about wind noise?
    Personally I am not too concerned about wind noise. Any chance you know how the wind noise is compared to an S2000?

Do you care about a smooth ride?
    I think we would prefer the Sahara trim compared to the rougher sport ride as described by others who posted in the thread

Redlyne_mr2- I am pretty sure a brand new one is out of our budget, however I will definitely contact you when we are a bit more serious

Can anyone else comment on the crash test ratings of these vehicles? If it's unsafe as mentioned above especially for babies, then we may have to reconsider...Thoughts on other manual SUV's which are similar however safer?

Thanks Again for all your help guys,

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 11:23 PM.

My Ride
    2002 jeep tj

importracer

for protection, the so called ratings are on a stock jeep....

the aftermarket world for the jeep is endless

when u deck out a jeep with steel bumpers and side rock sliders I'm sure if u get hit on the side front or back with the stock items ur gonna get hurt or worse but when u beef up the front bumper and add some steel side rock slider and getting rid of the %100 plastic rear bumper you will gain some ratings in the safety department

are those Dana 44 anvils on the Rubi's still made of aluminum?

on-road, I really found the wrangler less than confidant inspiring... even the unlimited. It is a short wheelbase with solid axels, with truck tires, without truck weight.

In the winter, like a truck, they may be the vehicle that will get you out of a 3 foot snow drift.. but they won't be the idea vehicle to take going highway speeds on a glazed over QE2, where something like a tiguan with car sized winter tires will excel.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast