Quantcast
Landscaping company skipping appointments - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Landscaping company skipping appointments

My Ride
    IS350 AWD F-sport

Default Landscaping company skipping appointments

So its my first time hiring a company to mow lawn for me. They showed up on time for the first appointment (biweekly), but since then they have been missing the marks. First couple of times they blamed it on the weather and the backlog they had. Their reply also only came after our inquiry. There was no notice about the delay, or when they decide to come next.

Is this common among landscaping companies? It has been 3 weeks since the last mow, and I want to gather all facts first before laying it on them.

Oh, they've also deposited ALL our post dated cheques. Apparently, anyone can do this at an ATM. If you try deposit them via teller, they wont let you for obvious reason. Otherwise theres nothing to stop it from happening.

My Ride
    05 GDB V.8 / ZX10R / T1-7L

You're getting scammed buddy.

Landscapers can be pretty sketchy, and asking for post dated checks, then cashing them is definitely a red flag for me when it comes to dealing with those companies.

Fire them and get your local teenage dude to do the job for you. Pay him $20 bi-weekly for his hours worth of work, who knows maybe you'll start a trend and your other neighbors will do the same giving little billy a full time summer job.

Originally posted by RickDaTuner
    You're getting scammed buddy.

Landscapers can be pretty sketchy, and asking for post dated checks, then cashing them is definitely a red flag for me when it comes to dealing with those companies.

Fire them and get your local teenage dude to do the job for you. Pay him $20 bi-weekly for his hours worth of work, who knows maybe you'll start a trend and your other neighbors will do the same giving little billy a full time summer job.
    Anybody in any trade can be pretty sketchy. Even people that do whatever it is you do. But your solution of paying a kid pocket change is not the right one either. Not only does that drive the prices down for the reputable operators but leaves the client wide open to a lawsuit if injuries are incurred on the property, because I'm sure some kid working for slurpee money doesn't have insurance or wcb which is paramount when you're working on other people's property.

Proper course of action would be to do more research next time, check references, proof of insurance, wcb, gst # if they're charging you gst, hire a reputable company. And set up a recurring online transfer the day after their scheduled arrival date, that way if they don't show up you have the option to cancel the transfer.

Another option if you don't want to pay what it costs to get proper reliable service, is to go buy a lawnmower.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by heavyfuel

But your solution of paying a kid pocket change is not the right one either. Not only does that drive the prices down for the reputable operators
    If your competition is kids mowing lawns for $20-$30 and you can’t compete with them, you probably shouldn’t be in business anyway.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

^^ That goes for any trade, there's always some skid row cash only no insurance tax dodging piece of shit making it hard for everyone, in every line of work. Not a question of whether or not you should be in business given what your competition is, more a question of why is our government not doing more to clamp down on that sort of thing. For the amount of money in this province there sure is a huge market for rock bottom, yet people complain about the quality of service and negative repercussions.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Heavy, if you think the solution to your business problems is to "clamp down" on little kids mowing a few lawns for cash, you need to rethink your entire business strategy.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Heavy, if you think the solution to your business problems is to "clamp down" on little kids mowing a few lawns for cash, you need to rethink your entire business strategy.
    Should make people report how much they paid out in cash jobs over the year and to who, the you can go audit the 15 year old tax cheats.

Maybe I should be audited too, I've taken a few loads to the dump for cash int he last year and hauled some cargo.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    You're an engineer, am I correct? Then why are you having so much difficulty seeing what I'm getting at? I'm not saying clamp down on little kids, that would be akin to cutting a tentacle off an octopus. Would be nice to clamp down on the cheap grinders fueling the market for under the table rock bottom services. But it won't ever happen. I know.

Guys.... I've given people rides in my vehicle. The taxi industry is collapsing because of me. Please call CRA immediately.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Yeah I'm an Engineer, and I think the engineering profession does a good job of not trying to compete with the "cheap grinders." That's the key, you need to find a way to differentiaite yourself from those people.

Look at the Men in Kilts company. They found a way to get noticed and make themselves appear to be a premium service. Any ashole with a ladder and a bucket of soapy water could clean my windows, but these guys who up in distinictive uniforms, in marked trucks, and when you phone the number, someone in a call centre anwsers it right away. Guess what? it works great because that company is growing, and they charge a lot more than the kijiji creeps.

That's the best example I can give you. If you aren't able to make yourself distinctive enough to command a premium price, then don't expect to be paid any more than the kids and degenerate who do poor work for low prices.
    Last edited by ExtraSlow; 08-21-2013 at 08:40 AM.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Mow your own grass, problem solved.

My Ride
    IS350 AWD F-sport

Typical forum thread. I asked one simple question and it went in all different directions.

Heavy and 89: I have always been maintaining my own lawn, but with a busy work and family life I start to see the benefits of hiring someone else to do the work. There is supply and demand in all business and industries. Someone pays for a service because there is a need. I think the "Do it yourself" statement has been overused.

Yes I should have researched a bit more, in hindsight. I was thinking it was such a simple job that I don't need a big company with 50 people on payroll to do it. And yes if there was a teenager offering to cut my lawn for $20 I would have accepted.

I was simply asking what the industry standard is in terms of payment handling and punctuality, given that I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN MOWING MY OWN LAWN and have no experience dealing with such company.

Thank you for those who have given useful feedback.

In regards to them cashing your cheques early:

"If the post-dated cheque is cashed early, you can ask your financial institution to put the money back into your account up to the day before the cheque should have been cashed.

If you have not resolved your problem with a post-dated cheque at the branch level, or if the cheque has resulted in non-sufficient funds fees being charged to you, you can make a complaint using your financial institution’s complaint-handling process. Federal financial consumer protection legislation requires all federally regulated financial institutions to have a complaint-handling process in place to help resolve disputes between consumers and their financial institutions. This process includes a third-party dispute-resolution body."

http://www.fcac-acfc.gc.ca/eng/consu...-dated-eng.asp

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-21-2019 at 01:22 PM.

My Ride
    Skateboard

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

I only hire mexicans to do my yard work.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by heavyfuel
    more a question of why is our government not doing more to clamp down on that sort of thing.
    Maybe you should start a landscaping union. That should solve the problem.

Then, everytime a 12 year old cuts a lawn, you can file a union grievance with the government.

Or you can just do the Tony Soprano thing and get a thug to beat the shit out of him and claim your territory.

OP: Just got with a reputable company. We get our house cleaned every once in a while. We only get companies like Mango Maids to come. Sure they cost more, but I know they won't steal anything or not show up. We tried "cleaning ladies." Some are good, but most aren't worth what you pay them.

My Ride
    IS350 AWD F-sport

benyl: Thanks for your feedback. Yeh house cleaning is next on my "Hire someone to do" list. I will make a mental note of Mango Maids.

I thought Spacerz on here did lawncare?
    PM him. He came and aerated my lawn the very next day, Friday 6pm, going into a long weekend.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

There is also a Beyond sponsor company that does house cleaning, and I know they are reputable because they clean my house. Neatfreak.

My Ride
    05 GDB V.8 / ZX10R / T1-7L

Heavyfuel WTF man?

A kid is not a threat to your business....

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast