Quantcast
Leapfrog car buying service - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Leapfrog car buying service

Default Leapfrog car buying service

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-23-2020 at 01:13 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

some form of online purchasing will emerge either from a third party like this or from the manufacturers/dealers themselves.

I hope it does well, but I honestly have no idea how the economics of that business will look.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Default Re: Leapfrog car buying service

Originally posted by 01RedDX
    Interesting idea from this startup. Pick a car, submit the price you're wiling to pay (from an approved price range) and if the dealer agrees, you skip the salesman part. The dealer pays them commission.

Thoughts? Could this business model take off or will it die on the vine?

https://www.leapfrog.bid/
    It makes sense.

I've heard of people laying out the exact vehicle they want, price etc and sending it to multiple dealerships in an area (all dealers attached in the email) to see if any will play ball.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Sounds like a great concept for the consumer, that dealers probably won't bite on...

It's like when Shell introduced their easy tags, it significantly dropped the amount of people walking into the store and getting ripped off on chocolate bars they didn't need. That program didn't last long.

If you don't go in to make the deal, how are they going to upsell you on warranties you don't need? Or sell you $500 worth of floor mats?

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Originally posted by jwslam
    Sounds like a great concept for the consumer, that dealers probably won't bite on...

It's like when Shell introduced their easy tags, it significantly dropped the amount of people walking into the store and getting ripped off on chocolate bars they didn't need. That program didn't last long.

If you don't go in to make the deal, how are they going to upsell you on warranties you don't need? Or sell you $500 worth of floor mats?
    Yeah I'm curious how this works in the end. Like at some point I'd still need to go into the dealer to sign paperwork.

If all they're doing is 'I want that Ford for 30k' and them going 'kay we got XYZ dealer thatll sell it to you for 30k' and then I walk into the store and 30k magically becomes 33k with delivery and taxes, and then 37k with tire warranty/paint protection/ undercoating / finance insurance and I have to still fight with finance to get all that garbage taken off then it's kind of a pointless service.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Originally posted by pheoxs

Yeah I'm curious how this works in the end. Like at some point I'd still need to go into the dealer to sign paperwork.

If all they're doing is 'I want that Ford for 30k' and them going 'kay we got XYZ dealer thatll sell it to you for 30k' and then I walk into the store and 30k magically becomes 33k with delivery and taxes, and then 37k with tire warranty/paint protection/ undercoating / finance insurance and I have to still fight with finance to get all that garbage taken off then it's kind of a pointless service.
    I agree, if it works like that, it is truly worthless and won't last.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Seems kind of useless to me. Just get a CCC report and you can keep any commission the dealer is going to pay that company in your own pocket. Almost zero effort involved. Seems like this just preys on the uneducated customer who has no idea what to offer for a vehicle - it just gives the dealers an opportunity to jump on the "offers" that come in way too high and further take advantage of people who think they are getting a deal through the service.

On top of that, one can only imagine how the agreed upon price will climb once you actually get to the dealer. "Oh that $50K offer we accepted? Yeah that's before Freight, PDI, GST, $500 admin fee, window etching, etc. etc"

Introducing a highly unnecessary third party is almost never a good idea - someone has to pay their commission and the only thing for certain is that it won't be the dealer at the end of the day.

Originally posted by jwslam

Agreed, dealer put a ton of stuff we didn't need on our purchase bill like glass etching and tire warranty (for a used car with over 50,000kms on it hahahaha). Almost got it past me before I signed by brushing over it and saying oh don't worry about that. If too much is visible to the buyer and they aren't under pressure then they won't be able to slip much by potential buyers.

Would be so nice as a consumer though.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

You guys have to remember that the typical Beyond poster / reader is not representative of the general public. I for one LOVE buying cars. I love the research, the details of different trim levels and options. And I LOOOOOOVE the negotiations. However there are a lot of people that despise the entire process. Years ago I thought about a car buying service for people but the economics of it never seemed to make sense.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

Originally posted by Masked Bandit
    You guys have to remember that the typical Beyond poster / reader is not representative of the general public. I for one LOVE buying cars. I love the research, the details of different trim levels and options. And I LOOOOOOVE the negotiations. However there are a lot of people that despise the entire process. Years ago I thought about a car buying service for people but the economics of it never seemed to make sense.
    I hate the negotiating process because no matter how well you do you're still getting bent over. You might feel like you did a good job, and you might have done better than anyone else but you still got screwed.

As a non-standard (I guess) consumer I also hate the whole trim package thing that dealers try to use as negotiating tools. Does it have heated seats? Beyond that I literally don't give a shit about anything but drivetrain. No I don't want your "upgraded" wheel and tire package that is going to look like every other guy that checked that box. Why are you still talking like that matters to me? Hahaha

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Tesla's purchase process is one thing I can really get behind. View all models available in an area online, price is what it is you either buy it or you don't. Or go through a spec sheet and order custom for later delivery.

Want to see it or test drive? Go to a boutique in the mall.

Negotiating is such a tasteless process. Just let market economics determine the sales price not my level of free time available to go back and forth with greasy salesmen.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Fuck yeah K, you nailed it.