Quantcast
Mazda dealership experience - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Mazda dealership experience

Question Mazda dealership experience

I went to a Mazda dealership to get a general checkup/inspection. I get a quote for 2k but the person breaks it down into two and says you can do $800 of the more important work now. I say allright sounds good.

They tell me it'll take 3 hours so I take the shuttle to a mall, hang out get some food and come back. Then they tell me it'll be another 2 hours, I hang around for an hour and then they say it'll take till tomorrow. At this point I'm like okay fuck it, I take the shuttle home.

They call me up at home and say my car is really 'jammed up' and they need to buy some extra part that'll be another 400 bucks. I'm like nope just try to manage with the part you already have, they say because the time took so long we won't do some other stuff we agreed to. I'm like wait so the cost is gonna go down right and right now that's where we are at and the person said to come tomorrow to talk about it.

This is my first time at the dealer, I always go to local shops but figured I'd get shit done official/on history since I've been doing 'well' enough recently. Can I put my foot down and say I'm not paying for work that wasn't done, do I have any legal rights? They even said it's not labor by the hour beforehand so this all seems scummy as fuck.
    Last edited by B3yondL; 02-23-2017 at 05:29 PM.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

That's a pretty expensive general inspection for 2000 dollars right off the bat. Need more details

My Ride
    Modded junk

Need more details.

What did you agree to let them do for the $800? What did they say needed more parts for more money? What jobs are they not able to complete and why?

So they broke it down into two areas; struts/alignment, sway bar stuff and front/rear brakes pads, ebrake link, some flushes stuff. The latter of which I agreed on and it costing $800.

The issue that arose was the callipers were really shitty and they couldn't get them off, said they could order new ones for $400+ and I'm like nope. Then they're like we won't do the e-brake stuff and from what the convo sounded like on the phone, it seems like they still wanna charge me around $800 for the job still.

My Ride
    Modded junk

It sounds like the parts on there now aren't in the best of shape then. If they don't want to risk working on the e-brake if there is a risk of breaking parts, then it seems reasonable. Adjusting the e-brake would be a small job overall anyway and probably not worth a lot of money.

I guess you could find someone who would tell you what book time for adjusting the e-brake is and ask for that as a discount, but it would be negligible.

My Ride
    bus

Brakes were probly really rusted and not serviceable, you would have had the same outcome at a Indy shop.

Originally posted by redblack
    Brakes were probly really rusted and not serviceable, you would have had the same outcome at a Indy shop.
    All right fair enough, just wanted to check if something like this is typical with other mechanics.

My Ride
    16' Tacoma Offroad

I inspect and estimate calipers if they need them when I do a brake inspection. The rear calipers on Mazdas are known for seizing and they might have quoted them in the initial quote. We really don't have enough to go on and this is more of a private matter you need to address with the dealership.