Quantcast
Minor Accident Repairs Through Insurance? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Minor Accident Repairs Through Insurance?

My Ride
    2013 Toyota RAV4

Default Minor Accident Repairs Through Insurance?

About a year ago, in Edmonton, someone backed into my car (and didn't leave a note) doing some damage to the front end of my car. The bumper was pushed back and didn't align with the hood and some clips were broken off. After speaking with Dave at Screamin' Paintworks, I was told that the entire bumper would need to be replaced and it would be an ~$2000. At the time I wasn't too interested in going through insurance, and it didn't affect how the car drove, so I just ignored it.

Fast forward to this weekend as I was updating some insurance info, I was told that the vehicle could be repaired at a very low deductible and not affect my deductible or premiums as it was considered a not at fault. I decided that it would be worth it and started a claim with Meloche. The process has gone fairly smoothly, and yesterday I was told that if I could obtain a police report they would be able to waive the deductible.

This is where the issue comes in, after stopping at the police station (in Edmonton, where I now live) the officer told me not to bother getting it repaired as someone would likely back into it again. He also mentioned that whoever gave me the initial quote was likely ripping me off, which I highly doubt as I trust the guys at Screamin' based on all the review on Beyond and I know their quality is top notch. Lastly he also said that insurance may repair this once, but if it happened again, I would likely be on the hook.

All the stuff the officer has said has me second guessing my decision to get the car repaired, but as I have started a claim with Meloche I don't think there is any going back. Long and short, I was just wondering if anyone has had an issue like this before and if what the officer said should have any weight on my decision.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I didn't know Edmonton cops are subject to bodywork and insurance training. Must be a new thing. My guess is he/she was too fucking lazy to deal with the paperwork involved for a police report. Awaiting gwill's response to this madness.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Had a similar issue in the UK. Not sure if it applies here.

I reported a non fault hit to my insurance company (Car was parked and came back to damage). It was repaired. When it came to renew, insurance premium went up. It was a non fault but still counted as a claim. I got butt fucked hard on that one.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

This cop is talking out his ass and should keep his (incorrect) opinions to himself. Proceed with the claim.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Default Re: Minor Accident Repairs Through Insurance?

Originally posted by got_mike33
    not to bother getting it repaired as someone would likely back into it again.
    On that line, why bother cleaning or washing your car since its going to get dirty again.

My Ride
    G37X

Define minor accident repairs. Because my gf's civic had a couple of very minor paint scuffs from a not at fault claim and it was a couple grand for insurance to repair. Anything on a car is expensive. Heck, a lot of head lights are $1500 each.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by Masked Bandit
    This cop is talking out his ass and should keep his (incorrect) opinions to himself. Proceed with the claim.
    Seriously. He was just being a lazy dick.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Translation;

Officer: "I don't really feel like doing any paperwork today."

My Ride
    2013 Toyota RAV4

Thanks all, seems like I am doing the right thing and the officer was having an off day. I will proceed with the claim.

Bumpers are an easy $1500-$2000 and over. That's not chump change, well not for me anyways. If you can get it repaired with no deductible why not? Go to another station and get someone who isn't as lazy to do a report for you.

My Ride
    2013 Toyota RAV4

Originally posted by botox
    Bumpers are an easy $1500-$2000 and over. That's not chump change, well not for me anyways. If you can get it repaired with no deductible why not? Go to another station and get someone who isn't as lazy to do a report for you.
    Yeah, that's exactly what I thought. I also have the whole front end covered with 3M film, so that will add some cost to the repair too.

If you ever plan on selling the car consider that it will show an accident repair on the carproof and every kijijitard will now offer you $11 dollars because "it's been wrecked bro".

Seriously...next decent vehicle that I own that has a 2k accident give or take (not at fault) I will do everything in my power to take a cash settlement because selling a car even with a bumper replacement (and proof with pictures) is a nightmare.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

^that would depend more on the age of the vehicle. A 10 year old Yaris with a rebuilt status wont fetch much less than one without.

My Ride
    Parked in the Bike Lane

yes it will. about $2000 less.

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

Originally posted by rage2
    I didn't know Edmonton cops are subject to bodywork and insurance training. Must be a new thing. My guess is he/she was too fucking lazy to deal with the paperwork involved for a police report. Awaiting gwill's response to this madness.
    EPS is by far the worst to deal with for accident claims.

My Ride
    2013 Toyota RAV4

Originally posted by revelations
    ^that would depend more on the age of the vehicle. A 10 year old Yaris with a rebuilt status wont fetch much less than one without.
    It's a 2014 Mazda 3 if that makes any difference.