Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Car Forums > General Car/Bike Talk > Mods Voiding Warranty

Author
Thread
Hallowed_point
Second Gear

What I drive: J35Y2
Posts/Day: 1.23
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

Originally posted by eglove

Guess I should expand. By no issues I meant that I never had an issue with the dealership when something went wrong. Couple ignition coils went on the focus ST. Had no problems getting them replaced while tuned and the car being heavily modified.

Rad fan wasn't kicking on on the fiesta and it was running hot / almost overheated one day. Car is heavily modified and they had no issues warrantying the faulty part.

That's surprising and awesome. I guess what worries me is how much is left to dealer discretion. Which I also completely understand as a business owner.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-19-2017 08:53 PM
Hallowed_point is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hallowed_point Click here to Send Hallowed_point a Private Message Find more posts by Hallowed_point Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

RickDaTuner
Third Gear

What I drive: 05 GDB V.8 / 2014 TACO / SW20/ R1
Posts/Day: 0.59
Trader Rating: (29)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

Originally posted by '93 SR-V
I'd be carful with the chip... I have a friend who was a mechanic at Ford for a number of years and he told me about the guys who would blow up their engines using tuners/chips (mostly diesels and Eco-boost engines) and then try to warranty them without luck. Apparently even if you were to set the vehicle back to stock settings before bringing it in they could often tell that it had been modified.

Yup,

Power tuners, chips, all the likes are a big no, no, and any dealer tech worth their salt can tell right away if an engine was blown from modded ecu.

There are ways to virgin flash Ford ECUs, but you need to be a Ford tech to access all the information. Even then though, your left with a newly programmed ECU with no cell history, a big red flag when a car is brought in for a blown engine.

Old Post 04-19-2017 09:02 PM
RickDaTuner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RickDaTuner Click here to Send RickDaTuner a Private Message Find more posts by RickDaTuner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J-hop
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.38
Trader Rating: (0)

quote:

People are just stupid sometimes when it comes to modding. guys buy "cool" chips that run their turbos way outside of the efficiency range creating high amounts of unnecessary heat requiring 94 to avoid detonation.

Then there is the typical kid that runs a SRM or CAI with an over oiled filter nets 0hp and wonders why their MAF keeps failing.

Old Post 04-19-2017 10:08 PM
J-hop is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J-hop Click here to Send J-hop a Private Message Find more posts by J-hop Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
71/454
Neutral

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.03
User Rating: 98%

quote:

Originally posted by Rocket1k78

On a side note did inrich really post this?!?!

Yup he sure did

Originally posted by InRich
I think it should be a MINIMUM payment of 20% across the board for any kinda house. Who can't save 20% nowadays, just stop eating out, drive a japanese shit box, and save, its not hard.. have some fucking discipline. Half you niggers shouldn't even be in the houses you live in now.

we can't all drive X5Ms

Old Post 04-19-2017 10:39 PM
71/454 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 71/454 Click here to Send 71/454 a Private Message Find more posts by 71/454 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hallowed_point
Second Gear

quote:

Originally posted by J-hop
People are just stupid sometimes when it comes to modding. guys buy "cool" chips that run their turbos way outside of the efficiency range creating high amounts of unnecessary heat requiring 94 to avoid detonation.

Then there is the typical kid that runs a SRM or CAI with an over oiled filter nets 0hp and wonders why their MAF keeps failing.

Or the elusive "chip" on non OBD1 car that adds 100 hp.

Old Post 04-19-2017 11:09 PM
Hallowed_point is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hallowed_point Click here to Send Hallowed_point a Private Message Find more posts by Hallowed_point Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hallowed_point
Second Gear

quote:

Originally posted by 71/454
Yup he sure did

At least we knew what he really thought. Even if his opinions were racist as hell

Old Post 04-19-2017 11:19 PM
swak
Second Gear

What I drive: FERD ST & Bikes
Posts/Day: 0.35
Trader Rating: (12)
User Rating: 91%

quote:

Originally posted by RickDaTuner

As mentioned though, if it's a dealer backed part, then mod away!

Great advice in this whole post, but i trimmed it to one sentence that caught my attention.

What do you mean by dealer backed part? IE. if i went to a tuner shop who warranties their work/parts?

Or do dealerships (ford, gm, honda...) have aftermarket parts that they "back" as well? Have never seen this advertised at the Ford parts desk, but might be worth some digging if that is the case.

Old Post 04-20-2017 06:57 AM
swak is offline Click Here to See the Profile for swak Click here to Send swak a Private Message Find more posts by swak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RickDaTuner
Third Gear

What I drive: 05 GDB V.8 / 2014 TACO / SW20/ R1
Posts/Day: 0.59
Trader Rating: (29)

quote:

Originally posted by swak

Great advice in this whole post, but i trimmed it to one sentence that caught my attention.

What do you mean by dealer backed part? IE. if i went to a tuner shop who warranties their work/parts?

Or do dealerships (ford, gm, honda...) have aftermarket parts that they "back" as well? Have never seen this advertised at the Ford parts desk, but might be worth some digging if that is the case.

Yes, almost every manufacture has their own performance cataloge for performance parts, here are a few from the big three

https://performanceparts.ford.com/

https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/

https://www.mopar.com/en-us/store/parts.html

The parts they offer here have their own warranty, and some are labled "Competition Use Only" but you can head into a dealer that is certified in the sale and service of the performance brands to get warranty work, or installs done, that will keep your warranty intact.

Most dealerships don't ever mention it because to them its a head ache, and most manufactuers require the dealer to have a specialty trained technician to allow them the ability to work on in house performance parts modified cars.

Its more common place in the US then it is here.

Last edited by RickDaTuner on 04-20-2017 at 09:40 PM

Old Post 04-20-2017 05:48 PM
RickDaTuner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RickDaTuner Click here to Send RickDaTuner a Private Message Find more posts by RickDaTuner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J-hop
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.38

quote:

I wonder what the Ford racing parts are like quality wise overall. I've only ever bought one tiny Ford racing part which was a dipstick to fit around my long tubes and it was utter garbage. Was way too big for the hole in the block as it was chromed and the genius designer didn't account for the extra mm or two the chroming added so it would no longer press into the block. Ground it down to the proper diameter and then found that the silly guys had chromed the dipstick as well and this chrome would flake off every time you pulled it in and out. Ended up going with a $100 lokar which is waaay nicer.

Granted for a part like a dipstick they probably have them mass produced in some rundown factory in Korea, but hopefully their bigger stuff is better manufactured....

Old Post 04-20-2017 09:26 PM
J-hop is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J-hop Click here to Send J-hop a Private Message Find more posts by J-hop Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 12:41 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Car Forums > General Car/Bike Talk > Mods Voiding Warranty

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: