Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Real Estate / Finance > Mortgage Insurance Premiums Increasing on March 17th 2017

Author
Thread
TimLacroix
Forum Sponsor

What I drive: Sierra
Posts/Day: 0.01
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 100%

Mortgage Insurance Premiums Increasing on March 17th 2017 quote:

More changes!
While it is unfortunate news to share, it was somewhat expected.

CMHC is increasing its homeowner mortgage loan insurance premiums as a result of their regular review of insurance products. New regulatory capital requirements came into effect on January 1, 2017 and require mortgage insurers to hold additional capital. Capital requirements are an important factor in determining mortgage loan insurance premiums.

The new premiums are effective March 17, 2017 and will result in an increase of approximately $5 to the monthly mortgage payment of the average CMHC-insured homebuyer ($250,000 mortgage loan with less than 10% down payment).

Revised Mortgage Loan Insurance Premium Rates are shown in the premium schedule below.

• CMHC’s new premium rates will be effective for new mortgage loan insurance requests submitted on or after March 17, 2017.

• CMHC’s current premium rates will apply for applications submitted to CMHC prior to March 17, 2017 regardless of the closing date.

Canada Mortgage Direct Inc
www.TimLacroix.com

If you have any questions please feel free to PM me or Click here to email me

Click here to View current Mortgage Rates

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-18-2017 07:16 PM
TimLacroix is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TimLacroix Click here to Send TimLacroix a Private Message Visit TimLacroix's homepage! Find more posts by TimLacroix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

cycosis
Second Gear

What I drive: 2008 Mercedes Benz C230, 1968 Chevy Impala
Posts/Day: 0.35
Trader Rating: (3)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

Is this likely to affect lending rates?

1968 Impala: Status: Stored for restoration
1977 Dodge Triple E RV: Status: Sold
1989 Mercedes Benz 420 SEL: Status: Sold
2008 Mercedes Benz C230: Status: Crusing
2000 Bluebird TC2000: Deconstruction phase of skoolie build

Old Post 01-19-2017 09:28 PM
cycosis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cycosis Click here to Send cycosis a Private Message Find more posts by cycosis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TimLacroix
Forum Sponsor

quote:

Originally posted by cycosis
Is this likely to affect lending rates?

The premium increases will not have an affect on rates.

However, the Captial Requirements that have effected the insurers in Jan 2017... have already had an affect on lending rates for Conventional / Low Ratio mortgages. Which are mortgage with more than 20% down payment or equity.

www.TimLacroix.com

Old Post 01-19-2017 10:58 PM
TimLacroix is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TimLacroix Click here to Send TimLacroix a Private Message Visit TimLacroix's homepage! Find more posts by TimLacroix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ercchry
Fifth Gear

What I drive: 79cx500 01UCF31
Posts/Day: 1.52
Trader Rating: (6)

quote:

I learned today that you can get a 25% rebate for having a "green" home. New builds just need to be certified. Used homes need a pre-purchase inspection, then you get two years to put in the improvements

Old Post 01-20-2017 01:42 AM
ercchry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ercchry Click here to Send ercchry a Private Message Visit ercchry's homepage! Find more posts by ercchry Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TimLacroix
Forum Sponsor

quote:

Originally posted by ercchry
I learned today that you can get a 25% rebate for having a "green" home. New builds just need to be certified. Used homes need a pre-purchase inspection, then you get two years to put in the improvements

That is correct. You can receive up to 25% rebate on mortage default insurance premiums.

Sample below:

For more information, check out Genworth Canada link to Energy Efficient Home Program

www.TimLacroix.com

Old Post 01-20-2017 01:48 AM
cycosis
Second Gear

What I drive: 2008 Mercedes Benz C230, 1968 Chevy Impala
Posts/Day: 0.35
Trader Rating: (3)

quote:

^ but thats only if you have a <20% down payment right?

1968 Impala: Status: Stored for restoration
1977 Dodge Triple E RV: Status: Sold
1989 Mercedes Benz 420 SEL: Status: Sold
2008 Mercedes Benz C230: Status: Crusing
2000 Bluebird TC2000: Deconstruction phase of skoolie build

Old Post 01-21-2017 12:49 AM
cycosis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cycosis Click here to Send cycosis a Private Message Find more posts by cycosis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TimLacroix
Forum Sponsor

quote:

Originally posted by cycosis
^ but thats only if you have a &lt;20% down payment right?

That is correct...

www.TimLacroix.com

Old Post 01-21-2017 12:51 AM
88CRX

What I drive: EP3, S2K & TLX
Posts/Day: 1.08
Trader Rating: (22)

quote:

Originally posted by TimLacroix

The premium increases will not have an affect on rates.

However, the Captial Requirements that have effected the insurers in Jan 2017... have already had an affect on lending rates for Conventional / Low Ratio mortgages. Which are mortgage with more than 20% down payment or equity.

As in they've gone up? What's the reason for that happening?

Old Post 01-21-2017 01:37 AM
88CRX is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 88CRX Click here to Send 88CRX a Private Message Find more posts by 88CRX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TimLacroix
Forum Sponsor

quote:

Originally posted by 88CRX

As in they've gone up? What's the reason for that happening?

Canada’s banking regulator (OSFI) had released revised capital guidelines for mortgage insurers in Sept 2016. Once implemented, insurers will have to set aside more capital in certain cases to shield them from a potential market blowup.

Here are some of the comments/ notes for the increase to premiums:

-- these premium hikes are due mainly to OSFI’s capital requirement changes, which took effect January 1, 2017.
-- OSFI’s new capital requirements include a formula based on LTV, credit score, location and other things.
-- Bulk insurance premiums have increased similar to the low-ratio transactional premiums as well

www.TimLacroix.com

Old Post 01-21-2017 02:06 AM
OTown
Neutral

What I drive: '15 Tacoma TRD DCLB
Posts/Day: 0.12
Trader Rating: (2)

quote:

So would these would only be placed on new purchases prior to March, or on all existing CMHC premiums as well?

Old Post 01-21-2017 07:33 PM
OTown is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OTown Click here to Send OTown a Private Message Find more posts by OTown Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TimLacroix
Forum Sponsor

quote:

Originally posted by OTown
So would these would only be placed on new purchases prior to March, or on all existing CMHC premiums as well?

The new premiums will be applied to new applications submitted on or after March 17.

www.TimLacroix.com

Old Post 01-21-2017 08:10 PM
OTown
Neutral

What I drive: '15 Tacoma TRD DCLB
Posts/Day: 0.12
Trader Rating: (2)

quote:

Another question... Are the new rates effective upon possession or upon mortgage approval?

Old Post 01-22-2017 05:05 AM
OTown is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OTown Click here to Send OTown a Private Message Find more posts by OTown Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TimLacroix
Forum Sponsor

quote:

Only 4 weeks remain before the Mortgage Insurance Premiums increase on March 17, 2017.

Thinking of purchasing? Contact me today (403-648-1541 / tim@cgymortgage.com) to get approved prior to cutoff dates which is established by lenders.

We may see cutoff dates as early as March 13 so that the files can be processed and submitted to the insurers.

www.TimLacroix.com

Old Post 02-17-2017 03:14 PM
TimLacroix
Forum Sponsor

quote:

Only 1 week remain before the Mortgage Insurance Premiums increase on March 17, 2017.

Some lenders have set a cut-off date of March 13.

Thinking of purchasing? Contact me today (403-648-1541 / tim@cgymortgage.com) to get approved prior to cutoff dates which is established by lenders.

www.TimLacroix.com

Old Post 03-06-2017 07:06 PM
The time now is 02:26 AM (GMT) Post New Thread   
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Real Estate / Finance > Mortgage Insurance Premiums Increasing on March 17th 2017

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: