Quantcast
NEST - Humidfier and Fan wiring - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: NEST - Humidfier and Fan wiring

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

Default NEST - Humidfier and Fan wiring

Does anyone have contacts to have my "whole house humidifer" connected to my NEST? I believe I'll need a relay of some sort as it's a two wire system. Also a fan wire as well to the NEST.

Any one? Thanks.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Action Furnace did mine

Disclaimer: I handle a lot of their marketing/etc. so naturally I'd recommend them. But they did both Nest's in both my houses, and both are great

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

Originally posted by A790
    Action Furnace did mine

Disclaimer: I handle a lot of their marketing/etc. so naturally I'd recommend them. But they did both Nest's in both my houses, and both are great
    Thanks. Ive seen their trucks around.

I installed a relay in my furnace to make this work. Finding the relay was a challenge since home depot etc don't carry this sort of part.

My Ride
    Grimace

I only know about the humdifier. I had been looking into this a bit as Action Furnace was unable to install two separate times it as they think you need two wires and I only have one spare so I ended up installing a newer nest and need to do my humidifier so I can stop going to the basement. (A/C, neutral, furnace and fan)

http://www.wrightfully.com/how-i-wir...st-thermostat/

I just need another relay, I suppose I can use the spare that I bought for my furnace fan and to locate the spare wire.

This might also have some info:
    http://support-assets.nest.com/image...ller-Guide.pdf
    Last edited by schocker; 02-03-2016 at 06:36 PM.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-24-2020 at 10:46 AM.

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

Originally posted by schocker
    I only know about the humdifier. I had been looking into this a bit as Action Furnace was unable to install two separate times it as they think you need two wires and I only have one spare so I ended up installing a newer nest and need to do my humidifier so I can stop going to the basement. (A/C, neutral, furnace and fan)

http://www.wrightfully.com/how-i-wir...st-thermostat/

I just need another relay, I suppose I can use the spare that I bought for my furnace fan and to locate the spare wire.

This might also have some info:
    http://support-assets.nest.com/image...ller-Guide.pdf
    Yeah, I read that post too. Looks like a relay of some sort to turn my old humidstat two wire into one and then into the NEST unit.

I can't locate where the furnace fan wires are even.

Gave Action Furnace an email and we'll see what they say or do. Hopefully good news to give everyone.

My Ride
    '21 BMW X5 X40i mSport

I had a 2-wire humidistat that I (last week) removed and rewired to work as a 1-wire system with Nest. Did not require an additional relay.

Old setup included a separate 24v transformer inside the furnace connected to an onboard 120v HUM terminal on the furnace control board. The 24v terminals went to the humidifier with humidistat inline and mounted on the cold-air return duct.

New setup: I removed the additional 24v transformer, ran 1 wire from the C terminal on the furnace to the humidifier, second wire connected to the Nest and humidifier. Works great now.

Writeup and image in the first post here describe essentially what I have:
    https://community.nest.com/ideas/1110

As an alternative, I also just installed an Ecobee3 on my second furnace, and also integrated the humidistat. The ecobee can accommodate a 2-wire humidistat installation which makes plug'n'play easy.

I've been using my Nest to control the humidifier without a relay. It's worked flawlessly for the past 2 years just like the attached diagram.

Also found this site that automatically adjusts the humidity levels based on outside temps. It also stores usage history. Check out: http://mynestreports.com
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Originally posted by goldfish168
    I've been using my Nest to control the humidifier without a relay. It's worked flawlessly for the past 2 years just like the attached diagram.

Also found this site that automatically adjusts the humidity levels based on outside temps. It also stores usage history. Check out: http://mynestreports.com
    I was doing the same until i burned out the Nest base. The HUM output isn't powerful enough to hold a relay open when it gets really dry, get a relay!

I got mine here . They have them, a lot of them. And in stock too. If they guy says they dont have them, he just doesn't know where they are. Insist they have them!

After that its easy install. 24V supply and ground to power it. HUM from the nest for the trigger, and the output to the relay. Use the same ground point for the relay as the ground for the solenoid.

My Ride
    '11 Acura RDX Tech/'15 Ram 1500 Sport

Any idea what the cost is to have this humidifier wiring done with the relay?

My Ride
    Canyonero

There's an older thread here on beyond where I talked a user through doing this. I bought the appropriate relays from digikey and had at 'er. works great.

Originally posted by redevil
    The relay was $20 and i did the wiring myself. If you have a multimeter its pretty simple.

My Ride
    Canyonero

Hah! it was reddevil in the last thread:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/378041/hv...25-humidifier/

My Ride
    Trucks

Originally posted by spike98

I was doing the same until i burned out the Nest base. The HUM output isn't powerful enough to hold a relay open when it gets really dry, get a relay!

I got mine here . They have them, a lot of them. And in stock too. If they guy says they dont have them, he just doesn't know where they are. Insist they have them!

After that its easy install. 24V supply and ground to power it. HUM from the nest for the trigger, and the output to the relay. Use the same ground point for the relay as the ground for the solenoid.
    That is RSL telling you politely to f*ck off as they are wholesale only.

Originally posted by Darell_n

That is RSL telling you politely to f*ck off as they are wholesale only.
    Didn't seem to wholesale to me with the guy that helped me out. It was another person that went in that didn't know what he was talking about and assumed that they didn't have one. Hard to keep track of all those parts...

My Ride
    Trucks

Originally posted by spike98

Didn't seem to wholesale to me with the guy that helped me out. It was another person that went in that didn't know what he was talking about and assumed that they didn't have one. Hard to keep track of all those parts...
    Small items they sell for cash, I guess. Anything major will be a different story. B&E Electronics is a better place for that sort of item and is across the street from RSL South branch.

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

Originally posted by redevil
    $69 diagnostic fee, then they'll tell you how much it'll cost. (Action Furnace)
    Last edited by TYMSMNY; 02-05-2016 at 06:56 PM.

My Ride
    '11 Acura RDX Tech/'15 Ram 1500 Sport

Originally posted by prae
    Hah! it was reddevil in the last thread:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/378041/hv...25-humidifier/
    Lol yeah haven't got around to doing the relay install.

Originally posted by bookem
    I had a 2-wire humidistat that I (last week) removed and rewired to work as a 1-wire system with Nest. Did not require an additional relay.

Old setup included a separate 24v transformer inside the furnace connected to an onboard 120v HUM terminal on the furnace control board. The 24v terminals went to the humidifier with humidistat inline and mounted on the cold-air return duct.

New setup: I removed the additional 24v transformer, ran 1 wire from the C terminal on the furnace to the humidifier, second wire connected to the Nest and humidifier. Works great now.

Writeup and image in the first post here describe essentially what I have:
    https://community.nest.com/ideas/1110

As an alternative, I also just installed an Ecobee3 on my second furnace, and also integrated the humidistat. The ecobee can accommodate a 2-wire humidistat installation which makes plug'n'play easy.
    One issue with this is you can blow your furnace power supply if the humidifier has a short etc. Now if you have this occur you loose your whole furnace instead of just the humidifier. As already mentioned you are also running the power for the humidifier through the NEST.