Quantcast
Nest Thread - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 12 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Nest Thread

My Ride
    Grimace

Default Nest Thread

In on nest thread. Update came out today for Nest on both Android & iOS. Allows you to know have up to 10 accounts tied to the same equipment which is what I always wanted as up until now you had to share accounts. Also the nest is able to use your phones for home and away and you just input your address and also they have tweaked how the sensors work to detect auto-away.

https://nest.com/blog/2016/03/10/int...e-away-assist/

I think this is pretty cool so now I am hoping home/away will work a bit better so I don't have to set it when I leave.

On a side note, I am looking to switch out my smoke detectors for nest protects. Has anyone used the 2nd gen?

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

Yeah, i've got the nest protect installed couple weeks ago. links up with the account with history and etc. Has a "night light" effect as well with different brightness. easy to install (hardwire, DIY).

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

So will it turn on/off the cameras with auto away now?

That would be a killer app for me but as it is the only way to do it is manually setting to away.

Aside from that Auto Away has always worked super well for me so

edit: seems like that is now a feature. Cool no longer have to abide by stupid schedules.
    Last edited by killramos; 03-10-2016 at 02:13 PM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by killramos
    So will it turn on/off the cameras with auto away now?

That would be a killer app for me but as it is the only way to do it is manually setting to away.

Aside from that Auto Away has always worked super well for me so

edit: seems like that is now a feature. Cool no longer have to abide by stupid schedules.
    Hasn't the cam always turned on if the nest is away? I am pretty sure mine has always done that. I have had issues with auto away when I am upstairs though and the nest thinks no one is home and turns off the AC.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Away yes, auto-away no. So if you manually set the nest to away with the ring or the app it would turn on the cameras. But if you just left the house for the day it wouldn't.

Had to resort to schedules to turn the cams on during the day and off when I am home. Otherwise you get notifications every 10 minutes which annoyed me and the wife to no end the first time I set them up. But schedules obviously have holes and exceptions which was irritating.

Edit:

Holy shit. I also checked out the works with nest website and found these puppies:

http://keenhome.io/smart-vent

Vents that allow you to dynamically redirect airflow from your HVAC system to different rooms based on how they heat and cool?

So my bedroom which is always to hot in summer and cold in winter? Boom Keen vents to increase airflow to those rooms rather than the main floor which tends to be more comfortable.

Where can I buy 20...
    Last edited by killramos; 03-10-2016 at 02:38 PM.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    Grimace

Weird, not sure if I ever noticed that or not. I suppose I usually do it from my phone to begin with so that is probably why.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I've been following the Keen Smart Vents for a while. They're not that great according to cnet, and everything is out of stock for a while now.

http://www.cnet.com/products/keen-home-smart-vent/

I ended up with Ecobee over Nest, mostly because nest cam left a sour taste in my mouth, and google not supporting homekit with nest. Ecobee has been awesome, 1 day after installing it (with 3 remote room sensors) the house heats/cools perfectly and I haven't touched the thermostat since. Works so well I stopped caring about smart vents for the time being.

The final problem is an underwhelming integration with Nest. At this point, the app just feels like another command center for the Nest Thermostat -- the Nest and Keen devices don't cooperate to accomplish anything truly new. The data sharing that Keen says is happening between the devices will only materialize for users in the spring, when room-by-room temperature control is expected to become possible.
    So yea, it doesn't even do anything yet. If they had developed their a hub to pair to homekit, I could control it right now as homekit has access to each individual room's temperature through ecobee.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

^ Yea I hadn't moved passed the "that's a cool concept" phase.

at 80 dollars a unit i would be looking at over 1k for implementation not including my basement which they are not compatible with ( not a huge deal as my basement has always been fairly comfortable and are more of a seasonal open or shut anyways) as my vents are circular.

My problem is my living space and 3 floors is pushing it for 1 heating source according to everyone I talk to.

Lutron shades similar to what you are demoing are going to help me a ton in the "bedroom is too hot scenario" caused by my west facing skylights.

DIY home automation is way to fun.

fact.

My Ride
    06 S2000

Just installed 2 nest thermostats on Saturday, so this update comes at a good time.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

So I played with this setup for my nest cams to set home/away for recording (instead of recording 24/7 and eating 140gb/cam a month). It does work, but it's not exactly fast. There's a 10-20 min gap before it actually sets it which would work for a thermostat but not ideal for cameras. Another problem is if you have people over and leave the house (ie babysitter), it would set the system to away, which would be good for cameras and bad for thermostat/babysitter/kids.

Not exactly a good solution at all. It needs to tie into an alarm for it to work well, and really the only integration for nest right now is nest protect, and you need that everywhere.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Grimace

Ouch
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Nest/commen...uture_of_nest/

Still very happy with my setup, but I will hold off any additional products for now. The auto-away with geo fencing is working awesome for me now.

I went with the Ecobee and I like it so far.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Yea, my Ecobee has been amazing. It did take a few days to truly understand our room occupancy and usage, after some tweaks to sensor participation rules in the schedule the temperature is perfect everywhere with 3 sensors, one on each floor, any time of day. I haven't touched the thermostat since. Once I get my shades installed it should work even better as the living room shouldn't deviate by 7 degrees everyday.

My Ride
    Grimace

Nest is sticking around with their new CEO. Glad Tony is out
    http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/8/118...et-tony-fadell

Nest cams $50 off ($199) until June 19th!!!

Apparently outdoor cam coming soon and new products in 2017!
    Last edited by schocker; 06-09-2016 at 03:39 PM.

My Ride
    Grimace

Finally the announce another product. Nest Cam Outdoor
    https://store.nest.com/ca/product/ou...curity-camera/

Basically the same camera but made for outdoors so waterproof (ip65) and good for -20 °C to 40 °C and at the samne $249 price. This also includes a much longer power cord (25') with I believe the sameusb plug in type power adapter.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I like the outdoor product a lot actually, I think i might pick up one for unheated garage and the front door eventually.

That puts me at 5 cameras all on wifi though... Which imo is pushing it for a wireless system and I definitely can't be recording at any decent quality with my upload speed with more than couple cameras. Fortunately the cameras are all disabled while I'm at home using away assist but still.

Kind of wish Nest offered a high quality PoE solution along side the standard cameras for this reason.

fact.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

They really need to optimize their recording a lot better. The bandwidth usage for multiple cameras is such a killer. Even a better record on motion option that records only for x minutes option would really save on bandwidth. 500gb a month for a couple of cameras really kills usage, especially when there isn't THAT much motion. I keep wanting to switch to something else but the Nest cams really have the best 1080p quality.

Originally posted by schocker
    Finally the announce another product. Nest Cam Outdoor
    https://store.nest.com/ca/product/ou...curity-camera/

Basically the same camera but made for outdoors so waterproof (ip65) and good for -20 °C to 40 °C and at the samne $249 price. This also includes a much longer power cord (25') with I believe the sameusb plug in type power adapter.
    That cable, WTF? Nest is going out of business with designs like that.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by rage2
    They really need to optimize their recording a lot better. The bandwidth usage for multiple cameras is such a killer. Even a better record on motion option that records only for x minutes option would really save on bandwidth. 500gb a month for a couple of cameras really kills usage, especially when there isn't THAT much motion. I keep wanting to switch to something else but the Nest cams really have the best 1080p quality.
    Personally I just don't have them all on nest aware to record. Still get alerts and motion detection and the ability to check in. But I only record on one of them which I have in the the best overall view of the house for entry, fires, general etc.

fact.

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by phreezee
    That cable, WTF? Nest is going out of business with designs like that.
    How else are you going to get power
    I will just run mine through my garage and then under the soffitt. The cable and power adapter can be painted aswell.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 11 ... LastLast