Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Home and Garden > Nest Thread

Author
Thread
drtoohotty1
First Gear

What I drive: 03 CBR F4i, 04 ralliart, 01 tracker 12 outlander
Posts/Day: 0.19
Trader Rating: (22)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

In somewhat of the same topic is anyone using a smart video doorbell like ring or august? The wife wants one and im not sure which one to go with.

Originally posted by Unknown303
Everything makes me upset.

Originally posted by Mibz
Nonsense. You've all got slanty eyes, play Starcraft, speak Chinese and eat nothing but sushi and ginger beef.

DON'T TRY AND CONVINCE ME OTHERWISE

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-14-2016 08:33 PM
drtoohotty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for drtoohotty1 Click here to Send drtoohotty1 a Private Message Find more posts by drtoohotty1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

phreezee
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.23
Trader Rating: (8)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

Originally posted by schocker

How else are you going to get power
I will just run mine through my garage and then under the soffitt. The cable and power adapter can be painted aswell.

Wired through the mount where someone couldn't just walk up and cut it? The only ones that have exposed wires are meant for high placement where people can't get to them. The picture on Nest's website is just by the door.

If you want a door camera, get the 2016 Ring, Skybell, etc.

Old Post 07-14-2016 08:39 PM
phreezee is online now Click Here to See the Profile for phreezee Click here to Send phreezee a Private Message Find more posts by phreezee Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
schocker
Fifth Gear

What I drive: Euro Accord Brah
Posts/Day: 1.47
Trader Rating: (1)

quote:

Originally posted by phreezee
Wired through the mount where someone couldn't just walk up and cut it? The only ones that have exposed wires are meant for high placement where people can't get to them. The picture on Nest's website is just by the door.

If you want a door camera, get the 2016 Ring, Skybell, etc.

Nothing is stopping someone from running the wire themselves, just need to run it into an outlet at the end. This is meant to be easy to just buy and setup and people don't want to do a complicated setup with drilling through and hiding the wire. Indoor cam is the same way and you need to hide the wire as well otherwise it is just dangling.

Old Post 07-14-2016 08:45 PM
schocker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for schocker Click here to Send schocker a Private Message Visit schocker's homepage! Find more posts by schocker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
phreezee
First Gear

What I drive:

quote:

Nothing is stopping someone from running the wire themselves, just need to run it into an outlet at the end. This is meant to be easy to just buy and setup and people don't want to do a complicated setup with drilling through and hiding the wire. Indoor cam is the same way and you need to hide the wire as well otherwise it is just dangling.

The wire will still run down the bottom and not a gooseneck mount and into the wall.
Beyond the wiring, a thief could just steal the entire camera. The mount uses freaking magnets?!?!

http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/14/1...rity-waterproof

You gotta be some kind of fanboy to buy this. Not to mention it's only rated for -20C which makes it unsuitable for Canada.

Old Post 07-14-2016 09:40 PM
phreezee is online now Click Here to See the Profile for phreezee Click here to Send phreezee a Private Message Find more posts by phreezee Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
schocker
Fifth Gear

quote:

The person would still be on camera walking up to grab/cut it. Not everyone wants to take hours to run cables and setup a camera when I would be able to have this up and running in 20mins. I am guessing it can operate outside of that range to begin with and how many days do we have colder than -20 C. I like the nest ecosystem and had been looking at getting an indoor cam to point outdoors and this is a much better solution.

Old Post 07-14-2016 10:08 PM
schocker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for schocker Click here to Send schocker a Private Message Visit schocker's homepage! Find more posts by schocker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
phreezee
First Gear

What I drive:

quote:

Not everyone wants to take hours to run cables and setup a camera when I would be able to have this up and running in 20mins.

15 minute setup using existing wiring with cheaper cloud recording.

Old Post 07-14-2016 10:14 PM
rage2

What I drive: Ricer SUV, Lexus Coupe in Mid Life Crisis Orange
Posts/Day: 1.10
Trader Rating: (25)

quote:

The person would still be on camera walking up to grab/cut it.

No they wouldn't. There's a 5-10 min lag from when you're on camera to when the video gets uploaded to the Nest servers. You can slowly walk up to the camera with a ladder, set up the ladder, climb up, cut the cable, and take the camera.

Don't believe me? Go walk up to your nest cam right now and pull the power. See if you see it on your nest account haha. Unless you're watching it live, you ain't gonna see shit.

Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Old Post 07-14-2016 10:22 PM
rage2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rage2 Click here to Send rage2 a Private Message Visit rage2's homepage! Find more posts by rage2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
schocker
Fifth Gear

quote:

That is a doorbell cam. I want a cam above my garage pointing down my driveway. I also don't want to use a second app for a $300 camera pointing at my front tree. I am guessing nest will also be buidling a doorbell cam and the I would get it

I thought you were talking about the big dome POE cams.

Originally posted by rage2

No they wouldn't. There's a 5-10 min lag from when you're on camera to when the video gets uploaded to the Nest servers. You can slowly walk up to the camera with a ladder, set up the ladder, climb up, cut the cable, and take the camera.

Don't believe me? Go walk up to your nest cam right now and pull the power. See if you see it on your nest account haha. Unless you're watching it live, you ain't gonna see shit.

I mean if they walk up and are in view of the camera though, you would get the motion alert. Mine is instant on that warning if I get home and it is still away. Never timed the offline camera.

Last edited by schocker on 07-14-2016 at 10:55 PM

Old Post 07-14-2016 10:23 PM
schocker
Fifth Gear

quote:

Looks like nest has lots in the pipeline which is great news.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...security-system

Cheaper Thermostat
Alarm System
Doorbell Cam
New Indoor Camera
Also saw elsewhere remote temp sensors

Old Post 03-08-2017 05:31 PM
cet
Neutral

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.08

quote:

I'm kind of tied in to Nest because I have both the thermostat and fire alarms. I really hope they add the remote sensors, from reading everyone's experience with the ecobee the sensors wold come in really handy.

Old Post 03-08-2017 05:55 PM
cet is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cet Click here to Send cet a Private Message Find more posts by cet Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
schocker
Fifth Gear

quote:

Originally posted by cet
I'm kind of tied in to Nest because I have both the thermostat and fire alarms. I really hope they add the remote sensors, from reading everyone's experience with the ecobee the sensors wold come in really handy.

Yeah, I don't know if I would get them, but lotsssss of people bitch and moan that nest doesn't have them. I am guessing most of this stuff is 2018 but oh well at least now people know. I am already looking into getting an outdoor camera but I would definitely like a doorbell cam.

Old Post 03-08-2017 05:58 PM
imranm

What I drive: 2014 Lexus IS250
Posts/Day: 0.04

quote:

They are introducing remote sensors....FINALLY!

Old Post 03-08-2017 06:20 PM
imranm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for imranm Click here to Send imranm a Private Message Find more posts by imranm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rage2

What I drive: Ricer SUV, Lexus Coupe in Mid Life Crisis Orange
Posts/Day: 1.10
Trader Rating: (25)

quote:

Let's hope it's not just another broken promise. Nest has been saying they're releasing stuff since forever. Hell, they talked about remote sensors in 2012? 3 separately companies have made them for nest, sold poorly, and gone under since Nest first suggested remote sensors.

cet, you have 2 devices, I wouldn't called that tied in.

Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Old Post 03-08-2017 07:12 PM
rage2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rage2 Click here to Send rage2 a Private Message Visit rage2's homepage! Find more posts by rage2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cet
Neutral

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.08

quote:

^ 3 smoke detectors and the thermostat; you're right, not hugely tied in but enough that I don't want to mess around changing everything. Plus, I like how they work together. Once I get Control 4 set up I may look at the thermostat again if they haven't made any changes.

Old Post 03-08-2017 07:32 PM
cet is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cet Click here to Send cet a Private Message Find more posts by cet Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
schocker
Fifth Gear

quote:

hi rage, this is an ecobee free zone plz

I think one of the main issues was the CEO switch to get rid of the toxic environment. Sounds like he would just ask for things and then shut them down halfway through the project. Hopefully development speeds up though as they are currently at the same pace as sonos which is real slow.

Old Post 03-08-2017 07:37 PM
The time now is 03:40 AM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Home and Garden > Nest Thread

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: