Quantcast
Non-stick pan really isn't. Shit sticks all the time. - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Non-stick pan really isn't. Shit sticks all the time.

Originally posted by jwslam
    Do you season them ever? (no clue about these 'ceramic' ones you have.

Lots of good reviews on Heritage "The Rock" pans for your next one.
    +1. Gf picked up this set on sale at CT for like 300$ off and love them

My Ride
    Forester STI

I've been using Starfrit Rock cookware for a few years now, works well and the coating stands up well to continual use. Just make sure you dont "cook dry" with it and you'll get years of service from them.
    If you want to cook dry get some raw cast iron units, season them properly and away you go.
    The Lazymans Signature (tm)

My Ride
    Hybrid

Anyone use carbon steel pans like these?
    http://www.costco.ca/CatalogSearch?s...eyword=debuyer

My Ecopan and Greenpan lasted less than 6 months before food started sticking to them. Messed up my omelette this morning

I want to be able to make a proper french omelette and not sure if the carbon steel pan will be appropriate - even Pepin uses a non-stick.

My Berndes non-stick pan from Homesense has lasted me years (not daily use though). Would recommend the brand for those seeking a teflon non-stick pan.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ecopan and Greenpan lasted less than 6 months before food started sticking to them. Messed up my omelette this morning [/B]
    Cookware is a tool like any other- use it incorrectly and you get subpar results, see my earlier post.

My Ride
    Hybrid

Originally posted by WhippWhapp
    Cookware is a tool like any other- use it incorrectly and you get subpar results, see my earlier post.
    Saw your post, which is what inspired me to try an omelette on my ecopan again. I should clarify by saying that I can cook things like fried eggs and most proteins without sticking if I heat the pan sufficiently, use enough oil, and wait until it's cooked before flipping - same principles as if I were using a stainless steel pan.

But if I stir the eggs as in the video (necessary to prevent large curds), it starts to stick horribly - I'm guessing it displaces the oil and exposes egg to a now cooled portion of the pan.

Also sauces (added after proteins and veggies are almost fully cooked) stick terribly in my greenpan wok with stir frys - not sure how I would use the "hot wok, cold oil" principle to mitigate that.

Neither of the above would stick when the pans were new - really no point in having non-stick if it's as finicky using stainless.
    Last edited by Strider; 01-13-2016 at 02:12 PM.

Originally posted by Strider

Saw your post, which is what inspired me to try an omelette on my ecopan again. I should clarify by saying that I can cook things like fried eggs and most proteins without sticking if I heat the pan sufficiently, use enough oil, and wait until it's cooked before flipping - same principles as if I were using a stainless steel pan.

But if I stir the eggs as in the video (necessary to prevent large curds), it starts to stick horribly - I'm guessing it displaces the oil and exposes egg to a now cooled portion of the pan.

Also sauces (added after proteins and veggies are almost fully cooked) stick terribly in my greenpan wok with stir frys - not sure how I would use the "hot wok, cold oil" principle to mitigate that.

Neither of the above would stick when the pans were new - really no point in having non-stick if it's as finicky using stainless.
    Without seeing you cook, my guess would be that you are losing too much heat out of the pan after adding ingredients.

Another reason heavy all clad and cast iron are great is that they don't lose as much heat as cheap, single ply aluminum pans.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

One of the best sets I've ever used for non-stick is a set of Starfrit pans I picked up on Superstore like 4 years ago. They may not be high quality but they cook well and shit don't stick.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by firebane
    One of the best sets I've ever used for non-stick is a set of Starfrit pans I picked up on Superstore like 4 years ago. They may not be high quality but they cook well and shit don't stick.
    Starfrit is the manufacturer of "The Rock" as I mentioned and has been reviewed well as per other beyonders above.

If you use as much butter as that guy in the video I imagine any pan becomes non-stick haha.

Seriously though I was looking at the Eco Pans from Costco, seemed good but not everyone likes them here.

I thought some of you ballers would own a Gastrolux pan. I heard these are the best non-stick pans, but really pricey. Starting at $200 per pan.

--->http://www.gastrolux-cookware.com/

Le creuset is what I use. 11" variant.
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    I say we slow down the spinning of the earth so that there is 25 hours in the day.

Join me.

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

I want to be able to make a proper french omelette and not sure if the carbon steel pan will be appropriate - even Pepin uses a non-stick.

My Berndes non-stick pan from Homesense has lasted me years (not daily use though). Would recommend the brand for those seeking a teflon non-stick pan.
    Thanks for posting this, I never knew the difference between the two, just tried making a french omelette, and even though it didn't look like Pepins exactly, the "movement" of the egg around the pan was just as good. I used a little less butter than him though and gave a 1 second spray with avocado oil to evenly coat the pan.

This is on my two year old well used T-Fal Canadian Tire Special Non-Stick.

Now I'm hooked on Pepin videos on youtube haha.
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

Well, about a week ago I decided to use one of two stainless steel pans we have had hidden away in the kitchen for probably 10 years now. We never used them because we had other pans in use and figured these would stick like crazy

Never the less, I threw in a little butter and fried up an egg and no sticking at all, so amazed and now they're my go to pans. No Teflon, no seasoning, just plain old stainless steel - who'd have thunk that?
    Last edited by speedog; 01-17-2016 at 12:52 PM.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    '05 Subaru LGT wagon (5MT)

OPs pan looks to be ceramic, variously called "eco" or "green" by different manufacturers. It is claimed to be stronger than Teflon and more environmentally friendly. What some manufacturers do not tell you is that most of these ceramic coatings are damaged by spray oils (like Pam) which are very commonly used with non-stick. I personally only use spray oils for the convenience, with pans. Boiling water for pasta I use regular oil.

I have wrecked my parent's Paderno eco pan using spray oil and also by not following some stupid cooking procedure that does not work well at our altitude. I have also seen it scratch while using the Paderno flipper that is recommended for use with this type of pan and while using the Paderno scrubber that is recommended.

My conclusion is that for me, ceramic is the worst option for a pan (coated or non-coated) especially when you consider that ceramic pans often cost 3 or 4 times more than regular Teflon coated pans. Basically, I think they are garbage.

My Ride
    Hybrid

Picked up a set of 2 Heritage The Rock Plus pans from Costco for $50. Seems to work great so far and I get the benefit of Costco's return policy if they start to fail prematurely.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

I purchased a Heritage Rock Pan, but what pisses me off is the packaging specifically says do not use on high heat, only on medium. What a way to protect themselves lol... Who the hell only uses a pan on medium heat?

.. and I get the benefit of Costco's return policy if they start to fail prematurely.
    Good call on buying from Costco.

Originally posted by Disoblige
    I purchased a Heritage Rock Pan, but what pisses me off is the packaging specifically says do not use on high heat, only on medium. What a way to protect themselves lol... Who the hell only uses a pan on medium heat?

A good pan will almost never require high heat...

For the Heritage Rock, Do you guys use the Ceramic "White" version or Regular "Black" version?

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Originally posted by Disoblige

It's true. Good pans don't require high heat. One exception is my carbon steel wok. That style of cooking requires high heat and the steel doesn't hold enough heat.

My Ride
    Model S

Originally posted by Seth1968
    For those concerned about toxins being released from the Teflon pans:

1) Seriously?

2) Don't tell the NDP

EDIT: 1) There's still some bridges for sale.

Beyond's resident doctor and scientist

The toxins they release do kill birds easily. Most bird owners are quite aware of this. The fumes only are only emitted above normal cooking temperatures, but it doesn't take much to hit those if you leave the pan on the stove.

It gets a little interesting when you think about how birds were used as canaries in mines, because if there were toxic gases, the human has advanced warning to get out of there when the bird dies first

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast