Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Nose Creek crayfish

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

Originally posted by schocker
    2fncray
    This is now a quality thread.
    Originally posted by 89coupe
    I do get great service there, especially when I mention my name, haha.

So we cooked up about 40 this afternoon and wow, very delicious with a bit of melted garlic butter. The taste is wonderful and the claws provide way more meat then I would've expected. Forgot to take a picture of the cooked bunch but they are resting comfortably in my stomach now. Yum.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

Can you pinpoint this on google maps?
    Must be this if you're talking about 15 St North of Country Hill Blvd

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Nos...h,46.68t/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x53716662bfb9437d:0xae9b13561d18698f!8m2!3d51.1372734!4d-114.0761295

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Your picture is on reddit. And CJAY's Facebook page.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Calgary/com...reek_crayfish/
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Originally posted by G
    Don't under estimate the Asians when it comes to "free".
    Ultracrepidarian

Originally posted by speedog
    So we cooked up about 40 this afternoon and wow, very delicious with a bit of melted garlic butter. The taste is wonderful and the claws provide way more meat then I would've expected. Forgot to take a picture of the cooked bunch but they are resting comfortably in my stomach now. Yum.
    God damn...now I want to go try them! How close is the taste to Lobster? Or crab?
    I don't suppose they're in Fish creek are they? (closer to home)

My Ride
    '14 Taco

None in fish creek... Thankfully

Originally posted by C_Dave45

God damn...now I want to go try them! How close is the taste to Lobster? Or crab?
    I don't suppose they're in Fish creek are they? (closer to home)

Tastes like lobster and they're probably in Fish Creek. I've read that they're in the Bow River at Twelve Mile Coulee and they seem to be all over the place in southern Alberta so Fish Creek probably has them as well.

What we've found is the best areas to look for them is where there's exposed smaller rocks 3-7" across with running water. Start flipping rocks or feeling around them and you'll start seeing them. In good sunlight we've been able to spot them coming out from under rocks - they are burrowers.

My daughter uses a stick and a minnow net - pokes the stick around and under the rocks and keeps the minnow net firmly on the bottom nearby and usually they'll swim right into the net.

Now I know they are considered an invasive species and that the Alberta Fish and Game people would like any caught to be killed on site but to be honest, one female can have as many as a 100 eggs/young and considering the number of females in this condition that we pulled out in just two places on Nose Creek in the past 2 days, I don't think this invasive species is going to disappear. A couple of pregnant females will easily repopulate an area.

All we've done is use Google Maps in the satellite/aerial view to look for spots where there's obvious riffle/rocky areas and sure enough, when we went there we were catching crayfish almost as soon as we were in the water. Between the north side of Airdrie and 96th Avenue in Calgary I would say there's at least 40 publicly accessible spots that would host crayfish. West Nose Creek probably has them as well.
    Last edited by speedog; 06-15-2016 at 06:47 PM.

Originally posted by Brent.ff
    None in fish creek... Thankfully
    Have you looked? I honestly didn't expect to find them in Nose Creek right at Memorial Drive but it's apparent they are there. If they're in the Bow River at Twelve Mile Coulee then Fish Creek doesn't seem like a stretch either.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Have you looked? I honestly didn't expect to find them in Nose Creek right at Memorial Drive but it's apparent they are there. If they're in the Bow River at Twelve Mile Coulee then Fish Creek doesn't seem like a stretch either.
    I've spent ~10 days since December electrofishing it, and there hasn't been one. Unlike at nose creek where e-fishing produces hundreds.

There might be 1 or 2 near the confluence of the Bow, but that is doubtful. The number of them within the Bow proper is minuscule, for whatever reason.

Originally posted by Brent.ff

I've spent ~10 days since December electrofishing it, and there hasn't been one. Unlike at nose creek where e-fishing produces hundreds.

There might be 1 or 2 near the confluence of the Bow, but that is doubtful. The number of them within the Bow proper is minuscule, for whatever reason.
    Good to know. What's your gut feeling though on them spreading from Nose Creek and the Twelve Mile Coulee area on the Bow?

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Good to know. What's your gut feeling though on them spreading from Nose Creek and the Twelve Mile Coulee area on the Bow?
    Gut feeling is that there is something keeping them to pretty minor numbers in the Bow, whether that is water quality or predation. They're definitely not 'that' new to Nose Creek, so i expect that if they were going to infest the Bow in big numbers we'd have heard about it. The fishing community is pretty big, and a large increase of them would have been noticed by now. There is a pretty dramatic difference in substrates and flow within the Bow that may also be keeping them at bay.

With the different flow regimes that we seem to be seeing these days (two years without a real runoff, currently at july/august levels in what is typically the highest flow week of the year), we may see future issues...Who knows!?

My Ride
    Saab 9-5

So bottom line edible or not i plan on going this Saturday
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/34/The_Smoking_Man_(X-Files).jpg

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-23-2020 at 02:58 PM.

Another 40 tonight out of a spot that we've taken over 100 out of already - took about 15 or so minutes, maybe less. Someone else had obviously been there recently - I'm quite surprised that we're still pulling them out of that one spot. Largest was probably close to 5" long.
    click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

Originally posted by 01RedDX
    If I had the funds for like a 2000 gal fish tank I would fill it with all local stock like crayfish, rainbow trout, pike, even local rocks, driftwood, plants etc.

I know they're not all native species but the idea of a locally sourced fish tank seems cool.
    Yep, growing up my grandparents had a fountain/pond thing in their garden and it was stocked with stuff we would catch in the lake. That blew my mind when I was a kid haha.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by 01RedDX
    If I had the funds for like a 2000 gal fish tank I would fill it with all local stock like crayfish, rainbow trout, pike, even local rocks, driftwood, plants etc.

I know they're not all native species but the idea of a locally sourced fish tank seems cool.
    I've seen a couple of big biome-specific tanks and they are really neat. I considered it but I'm too lazy to do anything more complicated than a planted tank, haha.

My Ride
    Exploded.

What if you deep fry them? Soft shell or tough af?

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast